• Any updates?
    Hope all is well.

• Houston

AgileB..
    Otis moved to his new family this past sunday. He is doing well, I am getting daily reports from his new mommy.
    He was crying when we left but stopped after about 15 minutes and then proceeded to check the house out.
    She took him for several walks sunday, outside her home, should he get out, so he knows where to go. He seems very comfortable in her home, sleeps with her on her bed, sits on the couch with her during snuggletimes and is just adjusting very well.
    She took this whole week off from works, so they can have some serious bonding going on, which I really like that she did.

He has calmed down a lot over the last few weeks, I thing neutering helped him to a certain degree, but because our friends and family know him as a biter, we felt it wasn't fair for him to constantly have to have that label on him..he is a nice boy and will do very good with Nina.

She is used to basenjis, her boy Neil passed away last june.
    She had him for 13 yrs, he had fanconi, so she is happy that at least Otis won't have to deal with that. Neil had agression biting issues, so she is very "comfortable" with Otis' issues and felt she can provide the strong leadship in his life that he needs.

I hope he is taking to this easier then me and my kids..lots of tears and sadness in our house right now..I know time will heal that, we did the right thing for him and for us..

Thank you for asking..

• I'm glad to hear Otis is doing well.. It must be so hard for you and your family to miss your beautiful and sweet boy…. I saw your signature and I felt sad immediately.. 😞
    Big hugs for you all!

• sounds like a wonderful home and it's nice you're getting updates. You know, it must be nice for Otis to have so much love in his life. You love him enough to find him what he needed and his new mom loves him enough to take him in. Dogs are very adaptable creatures.

• Houston

Thanks guys..
    I feel like the biggest failure..I swore I would never give up on my animals..yet here I am. I know he will have a good life with her, I just hope he knows that too.

• That sounds like an ideal solution. I am so glad that all of you have some peace of mind now. It *is really hard to adjust to missing them…but as agile said...you love him enough to do the best thing for everybody. Hugs to all of you...

• @Basenjimamma:

Thanks guys..
    I feel like the biggest failure..I swore I would never give up on my animals..yet here I am. I know he will have a good life with her, I just hope he knows that too.

Petra you didn't give up on Otis….you did the most loving unselfish thing any mom could do for one of her four legged kids..you gave him a chance at a great life.....that's the most loving thing you could do....

• @sonnyboy:

Petra you didn't give up on Otis….you did the most loving unselfish thing any mom could do for one of her four legged kids..you gave him a chance at a great life.....that's the most loving thing you could do....

I would like to second this Petra

• @sonnyboy:

I agree here!

• @sonnyboy:

Also agree.

There's a difference between "giving up" and choosing an alternative.

You chose an alternative, not an easy choice, but it allows Otis to still live in a good environment. It was a win for him and it will feel like a loss for you, but remember that Otis still came out ahead and that should reflect as a win for you. 🙂

• @sonnyboy:

Very well said….. and totally the truth!

• Houston

Thanks guys..I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel about our decision, knowing taht we have support among fellow dog lovers…most of our friends, and I guess I mean that loosely..wanted us to euthanize him, an option not even worthy of being called an option..He is so much better off not being here, not because of us necessarily but because of what people thought of him...we love him dearly and we know we did the right thing for him.

Our other dogs are lost too right now..so we are spending lots of time playing, walking and giving extra treats to make up for their lost play companion and pack member. Moses and Gus seems to be taking this the hardest, Moses, the podengo grande, loved to play with Otis and Gus, the doxie, loved to sleep with Otis at night..he has been walking around in the dark trying to find a place fit to sleep at..last night I placed his bed next to Moses..no good, Gus got up, glared at Moses and walked away..not happy about his bed buddy being a huge giraffe on a donut..that is what Moses looks like laying on his 20" diameter round bed..giraffe on a donut..;):)..
    again, Thank you for your support and understanding..

• I'm coming into this a bit late, but I must say I have the same sentiment as everyone else. You most certainly did not give up on him. You gave him a wonderful start in life and a chance for a long life with someone who will make his life as wonderful as you did.

Your other dogs will adjust, but, like your kids and you, it will take time. Would Gus consider sleeping with one of the kids? Just an idea.

{{{Petra}}}

• Houston

Hi AjsHuman, thank you..again.

Gus would sleep with Lukas, it his dog after all…but Gus has a crush on me so he wants to sleep close to where I am, Otis' crate was next to our bed, and of course Gus was in it too, they slept together in Otis' crate at night, Otis would never let him in during the day..funny. Last night he finally found a spot on a chair next to my husband..so hopefully this will be his "new" spot.

• You chose an alternative that was very hard for you, but gave Otis a wonderful chance at a new life is a situation better suited to his temperament. I do not call that failure, quite the opposite, you made for success for Otis. Sometimes love just isn't enough to overcome situational issues, but you found a perfect solution.
    Thank you for the update, I had been thinking about you but didn't want to ask.

Suggested Topics