• @Basenjimamma:

beautiful boys and girls.. I think they look lovely..
    Being a newbie at this, what are you supposed to look at when evaluating a puppy for show?

Same thing as an adult… most breeders judge puppies at 8 wks and 99% of the time what you see at 8wks is what you will have as an adult, 8wks is a minature of the adult. Then breeders will tell you to put them away and don't look at them again as a show dog till they are mature...ggg... they grow funny, move funny (of course they have to be sound in structure and conformation), high in the rear, high in the front, narrow in the front, short in the neck... all those fun stages. Some stay together better then others... some really fall apart.

• They look fabulous Pat. I love C-Me. I'm not suprised though as I tend to be drawn to the Klassic look. 🙂

• Houston

Thanks Tanza, I needed that info..to me all dogs look great, but not all look stunning..if you know what I mean..I have seen so many different types of B's depending of where they are from, like australian bred vs european bred, vs american lines.
    Some are very dark, rich in the color(australian), some have really nice almond shaped eyes (mostly european), and others have the great head, very wedge shaped, those I have seen in several places, including american.
    The american lines are very sleek looking, the aussie are stouter, and the europeans have a little of both..now comes the tricky part of finding a pup that has all the qualities..
    Rememer I am a novice so this is just what I have noticed, while looking at pictures.

• As far as color, I will agree that for the most part the Aussie have a very solid rich red which seems to be in many lines and carries through. And the European's still have great eye shape, but many with the same problem as the US and that is eye color. For the Aussie dogs, I find the shoulder too straight for me (again for the most part and certainly not all), but we have that same problem in the US. But I would say in the US it is more concentrated to certain lines then sometime across the board. (again as always, in my opinion)

For me personally, I am a Head Hunter… they have to have a pleasing head for me.. as that is the first thing I am going to notice. And no "donkey" ears...ggg set off on the side of the head.

As far as C-Me and the classic "Klassic" look, the one thing that C-Me doesn't have that many of the Klassic bitches do, is a bit of a doggy head with a bit of a long/narrow muzzle, which I am very happy with at this point.

• Houston

I did notice on some dogs in my "virtual travels" the eye shape is lovely, the color, not so much, very pale, almost yellow eyes….I know what I "want"..must find what I "want".
    To me the wedge shaped head, not skinny and not too wide either..is perfect, but I didn't know how to look for that in a puppy..now I have a better picture.
    A few of the breeders I've spoken with have offered to help me with that though, which I appreciate highly.

• @Basenjimamma:

I did notice on some dogs in my "virtual travels" the eye shape is lovely, the color, not so much, very pale, almost yellow eyes….I know what I "want"..must find what I "want".
    To me the wedge shaped head, not skinny and not too wide either..is perfect, but I didn't know how to look for that in a puppy..now I have a better picture.
    A few of the breeders I've spoken with have offered to help me with that though, which I appreciate highly.

And you have to decide what you can live with or live without. None are perfect, they all have faults, so you need to have a picture in your mind…

• They look lovely! C-Me has a lot of talent for stacking 😉

• @Basenjimamma:

The one thing to keep in mind though is that most responsible breeders pick the pup that will fit you and your family, you won't pick the pup.

Are you planning to show? If so, one thing you might do if you haven't already is get really familiar with the breed standard and then also pick up a copy of "The Basenji Stacked & Moving". If you read the standard for eyes it says, "dark hazel to dark brown, almond shaped, obliquely set and farseeing. rims dark". On the BCOA website they have the Illustrated Standard which is also helpful - if you haven't already looked at that.

• Houston

Are you planning to show? If so, one thing you might do if you haven't already is get really familiar with the breed standard and then also pick up a copy of "The Basenji Stacked & Moving". If you read the standard for eyes it says, "dark hazel to dark brown, almond shaped, obliquely set and farseeing. rims dark". On the BCOA website they have the Illustrated Standard which is also helpful - if you haven't already looked at that.

Yes I am planning on showing, so I have read as much as I can on the standard, over and over, still sounds like jibberish, but I am absorbing more everytime I read it.
    All of the breeders I've spoken to would pick the puppy for us with our family in mind, so yes, that is what I would want to be done. Only the breeders sees and knows the puppies at that point, not our wants or desires.

• I love the unposed picture of Franie. In my opinion a 'late developer' is often the better puppy and are usually long lasters. She is still my favourite - what a beautiful head!

• @Patty:

I love the unposed picture of Franie. In my opinion a 'late developer' is often the better puppy and are usually long lasters. She is still my favourite - what a beautiful head!

Exactly Patty…. I never loved those "wonder" puppies... when they looked totally mature at 6 months and then at 3yrs they look like 10yr old or older...

Close up, C-Me is pretty puppy(ish) too... she was just together on that day, but then she is 2wks older then Franie... and we all know what a day can do... 🙂

• Here are head shots from yesterday of Franie and C-Me…. they are teething like crazy too....
    C-Me will be 5 months on the 24th and Franie on 6th of June (date of our BCONC puppy match)... anyone in No California that would like to join for a day of fun Basenji activities and BCONC pot luck, check out www.norcalbasenjis.org

attachment_p_112349_0_head-c-me.jpg
    attachment_p_112349_1_p1000377.jpg

• Very good looking pups you got there, I was glad to seen when Cairos last tooth fell out, which was about 2 weeks ago. His adult teeth are coming in nicely.

• Wow, Franie has nice dark coat 🆒.

Suggested Topics