• Starting just yesterday and continuing today, Skeeter has shut-down. What I mean by that is he is not eating solid foods and just drinking water when it?s available. So, I give him a drink of water, he gobbles it up and then usually a short time later he will throw-up what looks like bile. I guess that's all he has to kick-out is his drinks of water. And he doesn't want to go out or even move. So, there is obviously something more happening now.

I will take him back to the Vet tomorrow and ask him to check for everything. I have written down all the suggestions from this thread and I'll see what the Vet thinks. Gosh, I certainly wouldn't want him to die, hang in there Skeeter. I'll get you to the Vet first thing in the morning . . .

Jerry and Dana in KC

• Oh, hugs..this sure doesn't sound good.

• Houston

Jerry and Dana..I am so sorry to hear about Skeeter doing even worse today..Y'all are in our thoughts. I hope the vet knows what it is and has a treatment for it..
    Please keep us posted.

• Prayers to you and good thoughts to Skeeter. Best of luck.

• So sad to read about Skeeter today.

But I did want to tell you that we're related by dog. All of my pups came through Linda. She has wonderful temperments on her pups!

• My prayers and healing thoughts to Skeeter and you.

• Our Vet is very caring and he said that it appeared Skeeter's pancreas had shut down completely. His glucose level had gone to over 400, even with his normal, twice daily shots of insulin. We even had to carry him in. So, we were instructed to leave him at the Vets for the day and they would get his blood sugar down through the day and he was fed intravenously, since he made no effort to eat.

The Vet called in the afternoon and explained that they did get it down some, but he felt that continuing the treatment even through the night was necessary. So, we were recommended an all-night animal hospital about 20 miles away, so we took him over there. They also seemed very caring and went over his ongoing treatment with us after being faxed everything from the Vet. We had to pick Skeeter up by 8:00 the next morning since this is only a night clinic. We brought him back to our Vet for another all day round of treatments and by the end of the second day the Vet felt he had made real progress. His blood sugar was close to normal, but he still would not eat on his own and was constantly shaking. He said we should take him back to the all night hospital again, so we did. Just as information, the two nights at the all night hospital cost over $800 and the Vet is running close to $1200, so far. We weren't prepared for the expense, but of course we never gave it a second thought. Getting Skeeter back to health is our only concern.

So, we went back to pick-up Skeeter this morning to bring him back to our Vet and the people at the hospital said something happened overnight and Skeeter took a serious turn for the worse. He was having Liver and Kidney problems now as blood tests through the night showed them and he was just lying in his bed not moving. So, they carried him out to our van and we drove back to our Vet. He wasn't in yet, but we got Skeeter in there and he just looked up at us with his sad eyes and was shaking. My wife Dana was crying and it was sad, but we went home to wait for the call. The Vet called shortly after we got home and he didn't waste any time getting to the point that Skeeter had reached a point that he was suffering and no further treatment would return him to any sort of normal life. We told him we would come right back to finalize whatever was best.

We went back and brought Heidi with us, since she hadn't seen Skeeter for a few days. The Vet said it's not an easy decision, but Skeeter had so many issues that it would be best to just say goodbye. I had always thought I could never do that, but the Vet was explaining the current condition of Skeeter and he was suffering. We asked the Vet if we could be alone with him for a while and we went into one of the exam rooms and brought Heidi in with us. When Skeeter saw Heidi, he even stood up, but just couldn't keep himself up and fell back down. She went over to him and sniffed him a bit, they were both whining. But, then she seemed to sense something was wrong and got back by us. We were in with him for about 30 minutes and it was so sad to see him trembling. So, we said our final goodbyes, apologized to Skeeter, wondering if there was anything we could have done differently and told the Vet to go ahead. After giving Skeeter the final shot he closed his eyes in about a minute . . . Thanks to all the Forum participants and I know you know how we feel right now.

Oh, one other thing . . . Skeeter's registered name was "Caesar Augustus" and he was born on July 12th 2000.

Jerry and Dana and Heidi in KC

• Houston

oh..Jerry, Dana and Heidi..my heart goes out to you all..
    I am so sorry to hear of Skeeters passing. I know this is so hard to do..I am crying for you, with you.
    Know that Skeeter runs again on the other side of the bridge..

• Jerry, Dana and Heidi, i am very sorry to hear about your loss of Skeeter.

• So sorry to hear about your loss, but thank you for helping Skeeter over the Rainbow Bridge to be with all those that have gone before him… You did the right thing for him, which is never the easiest thing for us.

• My heart goes out to you. At least you know that Skeeter is no longer suffering. Your vet is very considerate in allowing Heid to say goodbye.

• Oh poor you! I am sad to read this. Skeeter has a wonderful, loved life. The right thing to do isn't always the easy thing to do. I'm so sorry.

• I have cried the whole way through this thread. My heart really goes out to you.

• I'm so sorry for your loss. Skeeter loves you for all you did for him, including his final time with you and your unconditional love that let you help him pass peacefully, and painlessly. May your happy memories soon replace your deep sorrow. My prayers to you in your time of grief.

Dawn

• I'm sorry for your loss Jerry and Dana. You tried your best to do everything you could to save Skeeter and he thanks you for that.

• I am so sorry. You did everything you possibly could to help him, including helping end his suffering. Hugs to you all.

• Dana and I are were quite surprised by the amount of replies to our ongoing thread concerning Skeeter's final days and it certainly was nice to see the support from the Forum crowd. We weren't sure if we did things the best way for poor Skeeter, but looking back now, we're not sure what we would have done any differently. We took Skeeter's last collar and framing it with his birth papers.

He's been gone a month now and we've turned all our attention to Heidi and how's she's getting along. She no longer has a mate to chase around the house and yard, so she does seem a bit sad. We're not sure what to do? Do we get her a new mate or what? She is 9 years old now and in very good health. We hate to run out to replace Skeeter, since he can't be replaced. But, we do want to do what's right for Heidi. Actually during this month see has gotten better, so things will probably be OK in the long run. We took her to Pete and Mac?s pet resort, for a couple days of doggie day care and she seemed to like that.

Just looking for feedback . . . any suggestions would be appreciated. If we decided to look for a new mate, should we look at BRAT? And how old. Dana said she would rather not start with a new pup, but not sure what to do? I was going to ask if getting another Basenji is the best choice, but asking this crowd, would probably be a bit prejudice, ha. Of course that?s what we would prefer. And is getting a male the best choice? We had a good set-up before. Heidi was definitely in charge and Skeeter had no problem with that. How can we make sure a new mate and Heidi would get along?

So, that's it, can't think of any other questions. I look forward to any advice. When you become a Basenji owner, you become part of a select group of dog owners and I can't think of a better group to be part of, thanks

Jerry & Dana & Heidi . . . in KC

• If you decide to get a second b. I would suggest getting one close to Heidi's age, or just a few years younger.
    BRAT does have some wonderful b's, and we would want your b to meet the new boy, to make sure SHE likes him.
    I like to have 2 b's…they keep each other company when hubby and I are working.

• I vote for a partner, and BRAT certainly has some nice adults. I don't take any dog under 2 years, I love a nice adult with lots of energy, but not the puppy crazies.

You can't replace Skeeter, but you can give a good life to a dog in need, in Skeeter's honor. Good luck!

• Do let us know what you decide…we sure want good thing to happen to you.

Suggested Topics