• Can anyone help me to clear my confusion? I have read many article and reviews about the pumpkin in dog food. Many people feed pumpkin to their dogs to clear up the runs when they have an upset tummy. Wondering is it really works? How much and how often? Canned or fresh pumpkin?

Thanks..

• Houston

Yes, it works on my dogs for sure..canned pumpkin works great and is easily available in the stores.
    Make sure not to get pumpkin pie filling as this has other( not so good for a dog) stuff in it as well, but get pumpkin, Libby's is one brand.
    I give 1 tablespoon at first and see how it goes, sometimes I up it to a few tablespoons. I give it for runs or for constipation, it seems to work really well for either issues, go figure..
    My dogs love it.

• I put a tablespoon or two in every meal. It's high in fiber which makes the stool firm.

• I've never seen tinned pumpkin in the UK or I would give it a try as I've seen it recommended on here so much. I shall have to give it some research over here.

• You can use fresh pupmkin. Just bake or steam it until it is soft enough to cut, then you can mash it, or just give the chunks of pumpkin flesh.

Sweet potatoes can also work as a good source of fiber when pumpkin is in short supply.

-Nicole

• On the whole pumpkins are only sold at Halloween here. Backward aren't we?

I can get sweet potatoes easily - are they as effective?

• @Patty:

On the whole pumpkins are only sold at Halloween here. Backward aren't we?

I can get sweet potatoes easily - are they as effective?

Sweet Potatoes work great. I just buy the smaller ones and steam a bunch of them until they're soft, remove the skin and mash up. The skin comes right off when they're hot. I make enough for a week.

• Houston

yes, I have used sweet potatoes just as effectively.

Patty, what about baby food, do you have something like that in jars or cans for babies..I saw Heinz and Hipp has something similar..

• I also use squash…..butternut or acorn. It seems to work just as well as sweet potato and pumpkin for Tupper

• I'm getting hungry. - absoulutely love those autumn veggies!

• We get sweet potatoes, bake them and cut them up - skin and all, the dogs love it and it really helps to get the fiber in there if you can't get pumpkin.

• Basenjimamma - I'll look at the varieties of Heinz baby food. Thank you for the tip.

I notice that most say cook the sweet potatoes. Does anyone feed them raw?

Suggested Topics