• Hello everyone,

I'm from British Columbia, Canada and I have a basenji in my future. Currently we have some older cats as our loving pets, and I have made the decision not to get a basenji until our cats pass on to kitty heaven. So what I am doing right now is reading books on basenjis, checking out breeders online and gathering as much information as I can so I can be a responsible basenji owner of a healthy, quality pup. I've also chosen the name Kipawa, which means 'gift' in Swahili.

I don't think I would ever get into showing my basenji, but I want the best pup possible, looks included. Health is my foremost concern for my male red and white pup. I want to be sure that my basenji and I are going to have a long and happy life together. I plan on taking obedience courses with my dog, and perhaps get involved in some lure and agility exercises/contests.

The basenji has always been my favourite breed. I have not owned a dog since childhood, yet I am not worried about the attention required for this breed. We have a reasonable sized back yard that has 6 foot high fences, yet I plan to always supervise my basenjis time out there so I don't lose him.

I'm in my early fifties, am active, and I have unlimited time to provide to my dog (early retirement). I've contacted, via email, one breeder in my area and plan to meet her within the next month so I can look at her breeding dogs and see what temperament they are.

Can you tell me what else I should do to prepare for my puppy purchase? Should I get paperwork from the breeder indicating my pup is Fanconi clear? I even am planning to trade in my sportscar for a small SUV - I am already checking out vehicles. I take animal ownership extremely seriously. Any tips or ideas you can give me would be very appreciated. As for breeders, I am willing to drive/fly to get my ultimate puppy.

I look forward to all the posts on this forum!

Fran

• Welcome to the forum. Here is a great link for finding a responsible breeder. www.basenji.org/learn and then go to screening breeders. And you should always check out health results, as responsible breeders have those results posted at www.offa.org
    Don't just take someones word for it. Here is an link of a test Basenji on the OFA site as an example.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1293496#animal

• Welcome to the forum Fran

• Houston

A very welcome to the forum from us down here in Houston. Kudos to you for taking the time and learning as much as you can.

• Hi Fran, I do basenji rescue in the PNW, and would love to help you if you would consider a basenji rescue. Just let me know how I can assist you…and welcome.

• Hi Fran - welcome to the Forums! Very excited to hear and see pics of your new friend! Good luck!

• Welcome! I commend you for taking the time and effort to prepare for your new basenji, can't wait till you have him and share photos. Good luck, finding a breeder and establishing a trusting relationship is a great first step.

• Welcome to the forum!

Suggested Topics