• @Nilo:

Could you please let me know how do you exactly do it? Definitely I have to change my strategy, because mine it is NOT working at all…
    Thanks

You can lure them up at first with a treat, and teach the command pretty much like you would do sit or down. You can do the same with off the couch, by luring them off at first. I did it with a clicker though. Once they have the idea, you can do up, down, up, down, similar to a puppy push-up (sit, down, sit, down). I think the combination of commands helps…I believe I saw the approach in Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" but I might be wrong.

But I do like lvoss's approach regarding place training. I'm working on that for a different reason so that the dogs stay away from the front door and don't jump all over house guests. It's useful for a number of potential issues.

• @Nilo:

Thank you for the link.
    No wonder he was so confident and proud of getting up onto the couch, he had done for his entire previous life! And honestly, I did not know what you mentioned.
    One question: what if I teach him to go to his own little couch? Would he respect ours?

I'm not sure if "respect" is the appropriate word. It's more if he is allowed or not allowed, and you have to be very consistent. If you teach the dog that it can not be on the furniture, but he jumps up and someone lets him on it one time or two, then you may have to start over again. He will test you to see what his limits are. And if you aren't in the room, all bets are off, lol.

Suggested Topics