• Two-Trackin'

Two-trackin' is when there is enough snow on the road that you have to follow the two tracks left by traffic ahead of you because you can't see the rest of the road. This works okay when everyone behaves themselves, does right about the same speed and doesn't follow too close.

However, when someone is impatient and has to pass everyone else, the blowback from his or her trailer is blinding. Conversely, if someone is going much slower than everyone else, everyone else is forced to pass on the slippery, snow-covered passing lane.

Suggestions for trucks: keep your distance, don't get in a hurry and for Goodness sake, stay off the bumper of that knucklehead four-wheeler in front of you! If everyone seems to be passing you, pull it off the road. If you are that nervous, you are dangerous to yourself and everyone around you. No load is worth someone's life.

Suggestions for cars: Don't try to pass the trucks. Trucks weigh about 20 times what cars do and have 18 large tires on the ground in comparison with the tiny little four you have. As a result, big trucks are much more stable in ice and snow and less likely to break loose. If all the trucks seem to be doing a certain speed in this stuff, fall in behind and let the truck clear the way for you. Just please don't follow too close. In snow, eight car lengths is a good distance.

Also, at night in these conditions, keep in mind our headlights are much more powerful and since we sit up higher, we can see conditions and incidents before you can. Again, falling in behind is safest. In general, we will not do anything to put ourselves or others in danger. (Yes, there are exceptions, but I'm not speaking to that right now.) When following a truck at night, please try not to weave back and forth in the lane, sending your headlights first into one mirror then into the other. It's very distracting, and when we're in these conditions, the more attention we can pay to the road, the safer everyone will be.

Cheers!

• Hi Belinda,

I actually have 2 trucker questions if you are willing to indulge me.

1. Aries' new grandson is named Linus, which is related to trucking. Jan Bruner is offering virtual puppy kisses to anyone who can figure out the reference. Can you explain?

2. Can a truck loose and entire wheel?
    One time we were on I-290, and in the left lane was an entire truck wheel. Not just tire, but Rim and Tire. No disabled truck nearby.

It was huge, and my husband didn't notice it at first, changed from middle to left lane, saw it right in front of him, and spun out to avoid it! B"H there were no cars behind us, and we ended up facing front, on the exit, and everything was fine.

-Nicole

• The only Linus reference I know of is Linus Schlumpberger (sp?) who runs the Operations at UPS.

Yes, an entire wheel can be lost. It is the driver's responsibility to check lug nuts and look behind the wheels to be sure everything looks good. I was on I-15 in Utah a few years ago and saw two tires, still attached to each other in the median. About half a mile further, there was a truck sitting with a bare axle end. Also, some very few drivers carry their spare tire pre-mounted on a wheel. This may have been the case and the driver lost it off his catwalk.

Suggested Topics