• What a sweet looking lady…hope she finds a wonderful family.

• I asked the BRAT gal in Id to see if they would release her to us..will know something more tomorrow…

• Very sweet looking girl.

I hate that the rescue will not adopt to anyone with an intact animal in the house though.
    This means that anyone who shows their dog, or keeps their canine athlete intact to avoid bone problems, even if they have no intention of breeding cannot adopt if they wanted to.
    Responsible breeders and rescues need to work together to put the BYBs and puppymills out of business rather than be oppositional toward each other.

-Nicole

• Nicole, you have to realize that shelters work with some of the basic of the public.
    These folks aren't responsible.
    I think that quality breeders do keep intact and fixed animals. I mean, if the rescue is fixed, no chance of an "oops" right.
    Have you had issues with not being able to adopt when you have an intact show animal?

• No.

I was responding to the following lines under the "Adopt a Friend" heading on the Second Chance Pet Rescue's petfinder site:

"We also require that any currently owned pets be sterilized. This is important for several reasons. 7 dogs and cats are born every day for each person born in the US; only 1 in 5 puppies or kittens stay in their original home for his/her natural lifetime; the other 4 are abandoned to the streets, dumped at shelters or worse. Source: The Humane Society of the US. It is one of our main objectives to help stop this pet overpopulation epidemic. If you are a breeder, or own an unaltered pet with intentions of breeding, even once, please don't apply for one of our pets. Your application will most likely be denied. Upon denial, we may also provide you with educational material and expect you to react in an appropriate manner."

-Nicole

• I think that Nicole is referring to this statement on the Shelter's Policy Page, "We also require that any currently owned pets be sterilized." This greatly reduces the number of homes available to these animals and as Nicole points out some of these homes are some of the best ones that have intact animals because they are active in their breed.

• Sorry, I didn't read that far. Its very limiting, course they are targeting the general public and not the show folks who are responsible.
    I wonder how they check that???

• Perhaps, but I think they very much mean responsible breeders also. I run into many rescue people who are very anti breeder and have had some people tell me what a horrible person I am for breeding dogs and contributing to pet overpopulation. They are uninterested in hearing that my dogs are all health tested, microchipped, DNA profiled, and on contracts requiring they be returned to me if they cannot be kept. Their belief is that all breeding is wrong and there is no such thing as responsible breeder.

• Oh….Please, Belinda....keep your trap shut.....ooooohhhhh......I can't!

...It's because there are factions of society who want to tell everybody else what to do. HSUS is one of those factions. They would rather we all have sterilized mutts adopted from their shelters rather than try to keep purebred dogs just that...purebred. If they make a rule for some people, it has to apply to all people. I'm not sure they realize how many wonderful homes they bypass due to their totalitarian practices.

• Are we talking about HSUS?… they are no more than a Peta sub climate.... go read about them and where their money goes... they are NOT the ASPCA/SPCA, they are an off shoot for PETA... and not worth the money they beg for.. Not a surprise that they would have that kind of attitude.... they make like they are an US supported group or connected with ASPCA when in fact they are just a money grabbing, fear stalking org that preys on people that they can get money from..... They are NOT in it for the care/safety of the animals...

• @sharronhurlbut:

Sorry, I didn't read that far. Its very limiting, course they are targeting the general public and not the show folks who are responsible.
    I wonder how they check that???

they are not targeting the general public other then with "popular opinion"… as I said in my other post they are money grabbbing off shoot of PETA

• Lisa, I want to answer your post, because blush I used to be one of those uneducated folks. Doing rescue, you can get very narrow, and when your full up with dogs you can't help, you get mad, which makes you a bit stupid.
    When I started rescue I was one of those folks you spoke of…the Evergreen basenji club allowed to to learn that without the "quality" breeders we have now, our breed would be NO more. BUT rescue folks tend to only see that "there are puppies"...
    Not that you have homes for them, or will take back a dog you breed no matter how long its been gone.
    There is more, of course, but I think you see, its an educational process and some breed clubs sneer at rescue, so the education doesn't take place.
    Hope this makes some sense to you.

• @nkjvcjs:

I hate that the rescue will not adopt to anyone with an intact animal in the house though.
    This means that anyone who shows their dog, or keeps their canine athlete intact to avoid bone problems, even if they have no intention of breeding cannot adopt if they wanted to.
    Responsible breeders and rescues need to work together to put the BYBs and puppymills out of business rather than be oppositional toward each other.

-Nicole

I also find this sort of thing unfortunate. As unfortunate as any blanket statements. Others I've seen is that rescues won't adopt to homes with kids under Xyears (applies to all dogs, not some); won't adopt to homes without fenced yards, won't adopt to military families, etc, etc.

The other thing that really bothers me is that most rescues are now doing early neuters on the animals they place. As someone who is active in agility and enjoys other dogsports, I don't want a pup that has been neutered before the growth plates are closed. I'd like a younger/ish dog so I can start training early (and to minimalize untraining!), but I don't want an 8 week old neutered dog. I've read the studies, and until more science is done, this is my desire. Because of that, I may never get another rescued dog again. It's a shame because I think I provide a pretty good doghome. Good food, nice area to exercise, my own dedicated agility field, etc. But it's their rules and their dogs. So I guess I can go elsewhere.

Of course lots of people disagree with rescues placing intact animals, and I understand that too. Another blanket rule.

• Blanket rules are because a group needs to deal with the lazy, uneducated public.
    IMO. Folks who are responsible are responsible no matter what the rules, the rescue/humane societys have to make sure they protect the animals from the former, bubbas who just want a dog and just plan to feed/water it.

• Sharron, I do understand. I have helped with rescue, screening homes and evaluating dogs. I have volunteered at my shelter. I know how big the problem can seem. That is why I get so down when even someone volunteering with me at the shelter can turn around to me and say how horrible I am. Education is absolutely needed but how can these people who have closed their minds so completely expect to educate others about responsible pet ownership?

• Hey, now! I resemble that Bubba comment sometimes….:D

• I mostly like basenji Bubba's! laugh
    Lisa, I think mostly rescue folks in shelters are just overwhelmed. Even with all the education and some low cost spay/nutering programs out there, they seem so many unwanted pets coming in. I believe most of the folks go to work at shelters because the love animals…I think when they have to kill so many, it makes them love humans less.
    Just my guess.
    I just know I learned that without you wonderful breeders, my beloved breed wouldn't be here.

• Looks like the foster redid the post for Lucy a little bit…

"She had been there 10 days, laying on the cold, concrete floor with no blankets or anything to keep her warm. WONDER where the "breed Rescue" people were???"

Indeed.

Again, I hope this elder lady finds a forever home.

• Rescue can only help when we know about a dog, or the shelter will let us.
    I had no idea this girl was in the kill shelter, and am glad she was p/u by this group.
    Also, we can't take a dog if there is not foster home.
    So, speaking for rescue, we do what we can.
    Someday, maybe they will all be saved.

Suggested Topics