• I took AJ to a Petco today for a nail trim. The lady was nice enough to allow me to hold him while she did it, so I don't think we will have any problems with an overactive bowel this time. He seems pretty relaxed. That's the good news.

During the time we were there, two separate people showed up with these HUGE retrievers. One was a well-behaved Golden and I have never seen a Retriever that big before in my life. The man had him well under control and obviously took very good care of him. He was in perfect shape. He was between AJ and the door, but was a perfect gentleman when we passed.

However: Directly on the other side of the door was another HUGE Retriever, this one black. The other end of the leash was held by this skinny, early twenties woman who was having a very difficult time controlling him. I believe the dog outweighed her by at least twenty pounds. She wouldn't back away from the door and I couldn't pass with AJ without her animal trying to lunge at him. I waited on one side of the door for a few minutes to see whether she would back away, but she didn't. Finally, I cracked the door open and told her to pull her dog back because if he rushed AJ he was going to get bitten. She asked a snotty question about why I didn't use the other door that led outside and I actually explained to her that I had to pay for the services and had to go inside. She made another snide comment about controlling AJ! Meanwhile, her big galumphing idiot was dragging her around and jumping all over the place. AJ was on a short lead and watching the other dog, but didn't make a move toward him.

My rant is- why do people get a dog: a) that has no brains where it comes to doggie manners, b) who has the potential to outweigh the owner, c) then don't train them to behave while they are puppies, d) expect other people and dogs to be trained while their own is not, and then e) cop an attitude when someone tells them to control their behemoth???

K, I feel better now. Thanks!

• @AJs:

My rant is- why do people get a dog: a) that has no brains where it comes to doggie manners, b) who has the potential to outweigh the owner, c) then don't train them to behave while they are puppies, d) expect other people and dogs to be trained while their own is not, and then e) cop an attitude when someone tells them to control their behemoth???

Because they can…..... sigh....

Glad your feeling better now.. 😉 🙂

• I'm glad you feel better now Belinda 😉 You are right there are some idiotic people about and i cant stand rudeness. Glad AJ showed her Dog how it's done.
    My brother and sister in law took their new King Charles Pup out a walk on Sat and a GS Dog ran out of a garden and attacked the pup. The owner never even came out. The puppy ended up spending the night at the vets on a drip after having an op to repair her wound. She had a rip through her skin and muscle on her stomach, at first the vet thought her stomach had been punctured. She is stitched up and doing well but it remains to be seen if she has been damaged phycologicaly (sp)
    My sister in law went to see the owner who said that he would pay the vets bill. Having recieved the bill he is now saying he didn't see the attack and its not realy his Dog and it's not his fault because children damaged his fence to enable the dog to get out in the first place.

• I know things are different in England, but if that ever happened here in the US, I could say, "I didn't see the bullet leave the gun, it wasn't my bullet and my gunsmith ex-husband fiddled with the trigger. Sorry about your dog."

But that might be a bit extreme. 😃

• Ms. AJ, I LOVE That quote… but I would prefer the owner was the victim...not that this is the way to handle anything but it is nice for a mental image when needed.

• Should I change my user name to Snarky? 😃

• There's that lady I ranted about a while back that while walking Buddy she let her snarly/nippy little dog wonder over and nip at Buddy. It happened 2 other times after that rant. She is totally rude and will not leash the dog when we pass. Doesn't matter what I say she replies as she's passing "he's friendly". I say "he just snapped at my dog to which she replies again "he's friendly" in a snippy tone. Maybe he only does it to Buddy I don't know but it does not matter as she should pick him up or leash him when I'm approaching.

• Maybe when Buddy gets tired of it and lets the little monster have it she'll learn. Either that or if I ever wind up in that area, take AJ with you on that walk instead. He won't put up with it in will bite the little booger right on top of his head.

Whenever I see a potential problem, I warn the owner to keep their dog from lunging or it will get bitten. Since my dog is under control and leashed, and their dog lunged into his space and I, further, gave them a warning about my dog, the onus rests with them.

So what d'ya think? Should I change my user name to Snarky? 😃

• @AJs:

Maybe when Buddy gets tired of it and lets the little monster have it she'll learn. Either that or if I ever wind up in that area, take AJ with you on that walk instead. He won't put up with it in will bite the little booger right on top of his head.

Whenever I see a potential problem, I warn the owner to keep their dog from lunging or it will get bitten. Since my dog is under control and leashed, and their dog lunged into his space and I, further, gave them a warning about my dog, the onus rests with them.

So what d'ya think? Should I change my user name to Snarky? 😃

How about AJs Troublemaker? 😃

Buddy's too nice except to his toys that he totally destroys like the enemy. Any of my previous 3 Bs would have jumped that little dog.

• Yeah…I guess I tend to stir it up occasionally....

• @AJs:

I know things are different in England, but if that ever happened here in the US, I could say, "I didn't see the bullet leave the gun, it wasn't my bullet and my gunsmith ex-husband fiddled with the trigger. Sorry about your dog."

But that might be a bit extreme. 😃

:D:D:D love this and i agree with Sharon, maybe the bullet that didn't leave the gun would hit the owner who doesn't own the Dog 😃

• AJs Humana - you have a right torant. I too get annoyed about irresponsible owners.
    We even get them at the shows here with Basenjis. People who say - "keep your dog away from mine" (this in the ring) "he/she snaps"!!!! Also others who wander past a crated dog with several of theirs on loose leads, poking at the dog in the crate. When the crated dog reacts they complain about bad temperament!!!

Suggested Topics