• First Basenji's

He's here, and we are so thrilled that he seems to be settling in really well. He is a laid back little guy. He cried and yodeled a little when he realized we were actually driving but quieted quickly and slept. We couldn't get him to relieve himself until we got home but he has explored a little, then ate and is now sleeping again. More later.

• New baby in the house no sleeping nights LOLโ€ฆ Have fun and good luck happy you have your baby home.

Rita Jean

• First Basenji's

Yay! Can't wait to see more pics and hear more puppy-ness!

• So pleased you have your Pup and can't wait for updates and pics ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I thought about you yesterday as we went to see our Pup for the first time, another 3 weeks or so for us.

• Photos, photos, photos please!

• Houston

Good to hear that he is doing swell..sleep when he sleeps..lol. like a new moma should..

• First Basenji's

I was so not prepared for the new "mammaness". I know that is not a word, but at 1 and 4 am it felt like it. The first night we were stupid and he messed in his crate. Not happening again. Now I am attuned to the whine. lol
    We do have to make him go outside. He really is not fond of the cold. He just shivers and shakes. I feel sorry for him. I didn't buy him a little sweater since he hates his collar so much but maybe I should have done so??
    He is doing well on the training to go outside. I am the real problem in that I forget to take him before he starts to look. We we do our regular "walkies" he goes every time we are out. At night we are not doing "walkies" and that is when we have an accident. Glad I am not so house proud as to get upset.
    Pictures are happening today. I had to buy some batteries. Of course they died as soon as puppy arrived. lol
    At 4 this morning when we were out the snow started so we will have to chronicle his joy in the weather. lol

• Oh, it's a learning time for you both.
    What a good mom you are!

• We have wee wee pads down in our bathroom yr round, not so much for the basenjis, but a whippet girl who refuses to go out if its dark, cold or rainy. Yes she is spoiled.

• First Basenji's

@sharronhurlbut:

Oh, it's a learning time for you both.

You know it! We are learning as much if not more than little Faro. It is loads of fun. I am off work today due to the bad weather so will have loads of fun with him, and organizing my household so he and I can both be comfortable. It was of course nothing like expected. lol

@lisastewart:

We have wee wee pads down in our bathroom yr round, not so much for the basenjis, but a whippet girl who refuses to go out if its dark, cold or rainy. Yes she is spoiled.

We thought of the puppy pads and we were concerned it would make potty training them harder to do. Do your dogs get confused? Obviously the little whippet girl just likes her comforts as any self respecting diva would. lol

• First Basenji's

@thunderbird8588:

So pleased you have your Pup and can't wait for updates and pics ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I thought about you yesterday as we went to see our Pup for the first time, another 3 weeks or so for us.

Thanks for keeping us in mind. Now I can't wait to see pics of your baby. I wonder how Faro compares etc. Of course our lovely brindle boy is our joy but those other basenjis are precious too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• So pleased you have Faro at last. Puppies are always a learning curve and you are doing well already!

• First Basenji's

Posting pics of my little guy on the show off section and in my album. Come check him out.

• First Basenji's

Updates โ€“- After much newspaper rolling and beating of our heads... Little Faro whined at the door to go outside to do his business. Of course upon reentering the house he blessed us with a little extra to make our day brighter. lol Only crazy people would find that funny right???

he is also chewing everyone and thing. we try to redirect with chew toys bones etc. any suggestions there??

• First Basenji's

@McCannClan:

Of course upon reentering the house he blessed us with a little extra to make our day brighter. lol Only crazy people would find that funny right???

Oh no, of course notโ€ฆ. make sure you let that sense of humor carry on through the years. My B is 4, and yesterday morning, I forgot to shut my door when I left my bedroom, so when I came back 5 minutes later, he had pulled the sheet from my bed (no holes though, thankfully, because last time he shredded the sheet) and started ripping my memory foam mattress pad. There's just something about it that he likes to chew, (texture maybe?) and I know that from past experiences, so I had to laugh because it was my fault. Later that afternoon, he "found" a steak that was thawing on the counter, broke into the plastic, ripped off the bottom half of the steak, and carried into the dining room to eat. We found him happily munching away. Again, our fault. It was too close to the edge of the counter. So, yeah, a good sense of humor is a must. Of course, in your case, the puppy cuteness goes a long way. And he is absolutely adorable.

• Trog was a chewer, I kept a nylabone in my back pocket at all times as his favorite thing to chew on was me, wrist, fingers, toes, ankle, but he would trade up for a nubby nyla bone whenever I offered it to him. He outgrew the chews at about 10 months. Xander is 2 now and still loves his nylabone, using it several times every day, unlike Trog he never chewed on anything else..

• Crystalncody - I woke up one morning to find my memory foam mattress chewed to pieces underneath me!!!!!!!

• @McCannClan:

Updates โ€“- After much newspaper rolling and beating of our heads... Little Faro whined at the door to go outside to do his business. Of course upon reentering the house he blessed us with a little extra to make our day brighter. lol Only crazy people would find that funny right???

he is also chewing everyone and thing. we try to redirect with chew toys bones etc. any suggestions there??

It takes lots and lots of diligence. For a while, I was constantly redirecting my puppy with chew toys. She loved to get under one of the chairs and put her mouth around the chair leg. So annoying because I'd have to tip the chair to get her out. Stuffed kongs and treat-dispensing toys in particular were a big help for me.

• First Basenji's

I agree. Kongs have been a furniture/clothes saver for me too. Cody likes to play with his even if there isn't anything inside it. I also keep a few toys scattered around the house. We have a few toys in the living room, a rope toy in the dining room, a stuffed animal in the bedroom, etc. I think it helps a little.

• Interactive toys are always good for these beasties - anything you can stuff some treats in to keep them occupied; frozen marrow bones or yogurt treats often last several hours. You might have to buy several to see what Faro likes (my Gossy hates the nubby nyla bones and after the initial taste has never gone back to it).

Suggested Topics