• First Basenji's

Hi everyone, we are (almost) new Basenji owners in a small town in Northeast Arkansas. We go pick up our newest family member next weekend we hope. We are getting a little brindle male from Wagonwheel Basenjis in Texas. We are so excited but know we have lot to learn. I have been lurking here for quite some time and learned a tremendous amount but know I will probably depend on you experienced owners more as we learn all about our new little guy. Gerri

• Congratulations on the new puppy.

Are the parents of your puppy fanconi tested? If you are not sure, please check the OFA database, http://www.offa.org, to make sure that the parents have been tested for Fanconi and that at least one of them is Fanconi Clear.

• Welcome McCannClan to the forum! We are here to help once you get Gerri.

• First Basenji's

We did do the research thanks. Now I am worried about which vet to use. We will want to have a good one but no one owns basenjis in our area. Not sure where to go.

• Welcome, many of us have Basenjis that are related here. Care to share your new pups pedigree?

• First Basenji's

I would love to just don't have all the paper work. When he comes home we will have the rest. Can't wait really.

• Glad you found us..we can be a nice support system to you. Course we will want photos!

• Welcome to the forum!

• We course our basenjis in Lowell, AR several times a yr, there are a lot of basenjis in the St. Louis area, and there was one person on the forum looking for a basenji at Little Rock AFB.

• @McCannClan:

I would love to just don't have all the paper work. When he comes home we will have the rest. Can't wait really.

Just curious, but if you researched, you would have needed to have the sire and dam information to check on the www.offa.org website to check out Fanconi testing?

• Welcome to the forum McCannClan, i bet you can't wait to get your new Pup. We are going to see ours next weeks but wont bring her home for a few more weeks yet. The waitings awful isn't it.

• First Basenji's

@lisastewart:

We course our basenjis in Lowell, AR several times a yr, there are a lot of basenjis in the St. Louis area, and there was one person on the forum looking for a basenji at Little Rock AFB.

Wow that is so cool. We are very interested in lure coursing and hadn't heard of anything in AR. Of course our research has been mainly on finding the right puppy for us and avoiding mills. If you have any advice or information on it please let me know.

• First Basenji's

@thunderbird8588:

Welcome to the forum McCannClan, i bet you can't wait to get your new Pup. We are going to see ours next weeks but wont bring her home for a few more weeks yet. The waitings awful isn't it.

We have been waiting for the last 8 months or so since making the decision to really commit to a new puppy so I understand the anxious feeling. Now that it is so close I am almost panicky. What if we do it wrong (by it I mean any and everything), or what if he doesn't want to be part of our family. Silly isn't it. I am off to the training forums to lurk and see what other advice I can glean from it.

• Houston

Welecome to the forum, I bet you can't wait for that adorable pup to come home…so exciting..please post pictures..

• We started taking our pup to trials soon after getting him, he watched patiently from the sidelines from age 3 months on and started coursing as soon as he finished his bench title. There is coursing in Lowell at Ward Nail Park on 20/21 March, 5/6 June and 11/12 Sept, bring your puppy out to some of them and let him watch, once he is 6 months or so, he can try some short practice runs, we are always willing to give tips on how to practice for coursing. He can't course till he is 12 months old, so plenty of time to train him.

• First Basenji's

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Everyone is so kind. I look forward to meeting some of you at the course in Lowell. Our little guy is two months old now. I have a few pics from the breeder that I will try to post. We are so proud of our little cutie I really want to show him off.

• First Basenji's

@Basenjimamma:

Welecome to the forum, I bet you can't wait for that adorable pup to come home…so exciting..please post pictures..

Posted two pics in the show off section. Couldn't wait for my own pics, but used ones sent by our breeder. Hope you like them. We think Faro is the cutest bestest (lol) baby basenji out there. We know he plays well with his littermates and is loved by his human family including small children. It gives us comfort to know he was loved before he came to us.

• Welcome lots of fun to come your way. What color is your baby?
    Sorry I missed he is a brindle he will be cute.

Rita Jean

• Welcome to the forum! I've just been to the other pictures of your baby. He's delightful - i wish you every luck with your new baby!

• All lurkers are welcome here. Happy you've come forward. 🙂

Suggested Topics