What's the Ideal weight for a 7 week Basenji?

• I'm trying to Calculate the Ideal Caloric Intake of a diet for my Puppy. In order to do that i need the Ideal weight of a 7 week male Basenji puppy. Getting a few different numbers will be good for comparison since no 2 poppies are the same and I can create an average. If an average exists then much simpler.

Thank you in advance.

The reason I don't want to provide food ad libitum is that Basenji's have a tendency to develop hip dysplasia (not surprisingly high but a tendency non the less) and excess in feed at a young age increases the growth rate and also the tendency of hip dysplasia (may also be congenital)

• I'd like to be cautious.

Once I calculate it I'll post the formula, conversion Factors and result for any person interested.

• I just googled basenji growth curve when I got my puppy and a number of things popped up. There is a growth curve in the book " Dog behavior: the genetic basis" via google books that gives you a typical range for reference.

• @Nemo:

I just googled basenji growth curve when I got my puppy and a number of things popped up. There is a growth curve in the book " Dog behavior: the genetic basis" via google books that gives you a typical range for reference.

Thank you Very Much!

• Just be aware that every line and each individual are different and that you really need to keep your eyes and hands on your puppy/dog to judge whether they are at a good weight and adjust accordingly.

Basenjis naturally gain most of their height by 6-8 months usually only gaining another inch or so after that. They tend to be slower to fill out sometimes taking 2-3 years to reach full maturity. The percentage of HD in the breed is just over 3% and in basenjis the most important risk factor is family inheritance. The best way to predict your puppy's risk is to have vertical pedigree data.

Suggested Topics