• Hi everyone! My name's Hannah and my Basenji, Mali, and I will be moving to Alaska in about 8 months. Since you know how cold it gets there I'm afraid that she's going to be in danger of getting sick. Does anybody have an recommendations for a good extreme-weather coat for a Basenji? Does anyone have one they're not using any more?
    Thanks a bunch!
    -Hannah

• Welcome to the forum Hannah and Mali

• Actually, we have a lady named Pat Webber who lives in Yellowknife that has a basenji. I'm not sure what kind of coat she uses for Kinean, but I can ask if you wish. Let me know.

• I would love to know more! I've lived in Florida for about 15 years and that's where my family and I have had our Basenjis…. I just want to make sure she's well taken care of!

• Check Montana Dogwear, I think they look very warm but I have never actually seen one "in person". Do google search for warm or heavy-duty dog coats or snow suits, look for "windblock polar fleece" as regular fleece is not really very warm if there is any wind.

You will probably need boots too!

I was just a a big dog show yesterday and there were lots of vendors. I saw 2 coats that looked good, well made and warm, one was $25 and the really well made one was $68! But it really was well made, not thick and bulky but "dense", now if I could only remember the brand…....

• First Basenji's

Wow! what a climate change for you and Mali! I am in Florida too and just survived the freeze last week. I was actually surprised at Buddy's willingness to go out in the cold. When I first got him last Jan of 08, he would just turn his nose up and 'hold' it….(he was actually found in really bad shape, I have the pictures of him showing of ribs etc...) now that he is very healthy I have found he is willing to enjoy the outdoors, for a limited time period however...! He just ran right out the door (after I said 'ok'..:) and did his business in 30 degree F weather, then he ran back with his sister and big brother and promptly allowed me to snuggle and love on him in his blanket on the couch...! They do like the warmth. I have a magazine I got in the mail yesterday with some good looking clothing and boots for your perusal. the website is www.inthecompanyofdogs.com. (I do hereby declare I do not have stock or affiliation with them, wish I did…..$$$) And might I suggest a safe bed warmer or infrared heatlamp for your home for his utmost comfort.;)...!!!! Wish you all the best and Godspeed!, Deb or should I say Buddy's Pal!

• Unless you plan on being outside with her for extended periods of time (greater than 10-15 minutes), she should do just fine.

We had a recent cold snap where it got well below 0. Kananga tends to tolerate it but will only be outside for 5-10 minutes maximum, at a time. No coat, no shoes, etc. He has done just fine and his pads are in great shape.

I think it only becomes a concern if you plan on being outside with her for long periods of time and that's where you might want to look at getting her a coat and shoes to protect her pads.

• @Kananga:

Unless you plan on being outside with her for extended periods of time (greater than 10-15 minutes), she should do just fine.

We had a recent cold snap where it got well below 0. Kananga tends to tolerate it but will only be outside for 5-10 minutes maximum, at a time. No coat, no shoes, etc. He has done just fine and his pads are in great shape.

I think it only becomes a concern if you plan on being outside with her for long periods of time and that's where you might want to look at getting her a coat and shoes to protect her pads.

Thanks! This encourages me a lot! I was just worried about the reported extreme temps in Alaska (like the other day it was -44F). But I will look into booties for her!
    Thanks for all the advice!

• Booties for sure…She will be inside with you most of the time yes?

• @sharronhurlbut:

Booties for sure…She will be inside with you most of the time yes?

Absolutely, my Basenji stays all nice and snuggly warm with me inside! I'm mostly concerned for her health and safety when she's outside going potty!

• So you will head up for Alaska when its fall? It will give you all a bit of time to get used to that area. How long are you staying?

• @sharronhurlbut:

So you will head up for Alaska when its fall? It will give you all a bit of time to get used to that area. How long are you staying?

we're staying there for 3 months at first, then there's a possibility of us moving there permanently. We'll see….

• little shoes for sure when we dropped to 15 below with wind chill Jaycee had coat and boots went out did her potty fast and just sat down she was all ready cold. We had to carry her in and we wrapped her in blanket and held her for about 1/2 hour. Good luck

Rita Jean

• Here is the site Pat used to make the boots shown below in the picture. Pat makes her own coats, but apparently you can buy Parkas with hoods on line somewhere. This is what she said about starting to wear the boots.
    http://domestikgoddess.com/sew-your-own-winter-dog-boots/
    attachment_p_100113_0_santypaws-1_edited.jpg

• Yeah i was wondering about the Basenji keeping the booties on. Since when ever I put anything on Mali she acts like one of those cats with tape stuck to all four paws…. She is VERY clever (as all 'senjis are), I can see how putting her out in the cold for a bit before hand would make her think :

"Oh hey.... it's cold out here on my feets! MOOOOM!!!!"

I already have a couple of sweaters we've bought for her for the not-so-cold Florida winters and she seems to do fine with them. Next time I go to the local Pet Supermarket I'll ask them if they have any coats made for colder weather.

Thank you everybody you've been SO helpful! Please feel free to continue with comments and suggestions! I want to make sure my dog is well cared for in the cold weather!
    (By the way, I got a sewing machine for Christmas, so I'm super excited about trying to make those booties! Thanks for the link!)

• I think you might find better coat (and bootie) options on line… I think a couple of sites have been posted

• I agree Pat. I would look for one that specifically caters to northern areas. I would think FL stores would be more the light jacket type.

• I've made a bunch of coats for my basenjis out of old sweatshirts, they are not hard to make yourself for playtime. Mushers secret or badger balm is also essential for paws and ears in cold weather, it will keep them from getting chapped and split, you can find it online at Amazon and first aid sites.

• Check out the sites that carry booties for sled dogs. They are made to stay put (of course, probably never tested on Basenjis!!)

• I've never used Montana Dogware coats, but I've seen them on other dogs & think they look nice. Also, if you go on their website, they have a photo gallery of dogs wearing their coats that happy customers have sent in. On the "medium dogs" gallery, there are a TON of basenjis (almost half the pictures are of basenjis it seems), and many of them are listed as living in Alaska, Canada, etc. So it appears, if the pictures & captions are truthful advertisements of happy, warm basenjis, that Montana Dogware would be a good choice.

Suggested Topics