• @Gabriel:

Is attacking your arm and lets normal behavior? I have tons of chew toys but she will just attack me at any time.

My 1yo pup will sometimes get overly excited during play and uses her mouth/teeth on me - very occasionally now. When she does that, I still revert to the loud "ouch" and stop play. Whenever I make the noise, I can tell by her reaction that she knows what she did. She has never continued to try to play bite me after I've made the noise. Ruby and Brando do the same thing to her (and each other) - cry out if bitten too hard. I watch her with them and they stop all play as well.

Again, can't express enough how well a short training session works in breaking up really rowdy play.

• I would say that training classes or something where you work together is important. A bored basenji is a destructive one. Being angry at her will only come back at you. Playing rough should be avoided. Training & praise can change her attitude. You can train indoors.

Remember a basenji will do anything for treats. Focusing on positive behavior & rewarding it is a much better coarse. Never hit a basenji either (not saying you are)

• Having jetta has been a bit of an adjustment. The BCs can survive just knowing the routine and hanging with us. Jetta really does need a few sessions of focused attention every day or she gets weird. But it doesn't take much and then she's completely happy.

But still, she doesn't just GO from one place to another. If she's moving, she's HURLING herself from point a to point b. I'm a sheepdog trainer so apparent chaos doesn't bother me. 🙂 but I can see where it could be disconcerting.

I play active games with her. Then we also play lots of games designed to develop her imulse control. She's still a baby at eighteen months old so I don't expect the world of her. Just to back off when asked, not snatch things from my hand willy Billy, and don't hurl herself through the door just because it's open.

• Hah! Basenji500 - I love it! Paco's been doing it ever since we got him, I just didn't know it had a name. 😛 Our apartment is built like a train, just one long line of rooms, so he loves to fly up and down, jumping off furniture the whole way.

We ran a cable between two trees in our long driveway, and use a d-link to attach an extendable leash to it so that we can play fetch outside whenever he gets a little to antsy.

Suggested Topics