• @senji:

Deke will be 5 in December. His teeth are pretty clean. He only gets dry food and we usually don't give him any of those soft treats either. I worked for a vet a while ago. I did dental cleanings. I wouldn't want to put my dog through the procedure yearly. It seems like dogs like people vary in the way their teeth are. Some go for along time and don't need it done others more often. I would only do it as an "as needed" type of thing. As the dogs age it gets harder on their Kidneys to have proceedures done with anesthesia. Things can be done to make it easier(like extra fluids after the proceedure) but I'd try things to keep them clean. I just started working on Deke's teeth I really forgot when he was little..I know bad mom. I got those dental wipes to start figured I work up to more "aggressive" cleanings.

They have toothpaste that is chicken flavored, that really helps getting them used to brushing…..ours love the brushing part because they love the toothpaste......they aren't wild about the follow up to the brushing with Oxi fresh....that must not taste as good.

• Tiggy tries to eat the tooth brush because of the paste, lol

• Nylabones and other bones that are hard will sometimes make my dogs' gums bleed– perhaps yours just did the same?

• There's also a gel mouthwash that my vet recommended with my old dog.
    And no they don't use it like we do - just squirt it on the back teeth.

• What about those mint-flavored rawhides, bones, biscuits? Do they work?

Suggested Topics