Wild pack of basenjis in rural Florida

• Here is a note from someone who took on of the adult b's from this fellow. If your wanting to help these dogs, and can make room in your homes, you might find out what a wonder it is to help b's like this…
    My Sana is one of the mature dogs taken from this man about 5 years ago. She is a capped tri with Fula chracteristics, a nicely curled tail, fairly large ears and a lovely coat. After her initial fostering, where she experienced the first gentle human contact (possibly her first actual human contact) she came to us. We have had the luxury of allowing her to develop at her own rate and she has come a million miles from the terrified wild creature that was first rescued. She will never be "normal", but she is healthy, happy and continues to grow and change before our eyes. She has been a blessing and a delight, and it has been an honor to have the privilege to watch her bloom.
    That said, I think that Sana is an unusually courageous and intelligent dog, and we were fortunate enough to have the time and space to let her develop. I doubt if very many of these dogs will find the same fortuitous circumstances, but I know that they at least now have a chance. I cannot express how thankful I am to everyone involved in their rescue and to all those who have been working for years now to try and end this obscene sitation, and all of the other such situations that never end. At least, for now, these poor dogs are cared for and just might have the chance at a good life that Sana received. I'll be watching to see how I can help in the future.

Laura Whitney
    Arlington, MA

• If anyone on this list wants to be considered for one of these dogs/puppies when they are released to rescue if they are the way to get in line is to go to www.basenjirescue.org and fill out an on line application to foster/adopt a basenji.
    The process does take time, but its worth doing before these dogs are released to the public.

• @AJs:

I think the conditions are deplorable. The dogs, while seemingly well-fed, appear to be allowed to breed however they want to. That is bad enough.

However, keep in mind this is Florida. I just checked the weather in the area and the coldest it is supposed to get is 31F. Our dogs are very hardy because they basically live wild in Africa and are often not provided shelter and have to scrounge for food. They probably already have thick undercoats.

I believe the dogs will be rescued after public pressure is placed on local animal control. There are legal procedures that have to be followed. Regardless of how we would like to see these animals removed immediately, the law must be followed and evidence has to be gathered. Have faith…in both the dogs and in the system. It works slowly in Florida for animals, but it does work.

Contrary to some belief, African Basenjis are not wild. They live with people and are owned and used by people. If anything they are more domestic than Western basenjis - they (at least in West Africa) dont run away and they are good watchdogs. They dont fight amongst one another as much. They live where the people live - except they generally arent allowed in houses. However people in Benin dont spend a lot of time in the house either. They are cared for. In Benin they were shameless beggars for affection. Thanks for the opportunity to continue my mission to dispel this misapprehension. Reading of people who have been in other countries also do not support the "wild basenji". There were said to be some street dogs in a city in Cameroun however there were NO street dogs in Benin - the dog was either at home or with the owner.

• My understanding is that BRAT is in touch with the local officials to offer support of these dogs when/if they will be released to the public.
    I am sure vetting and such will have to be done, as well as seeing these dogs through the legal system, before anyone who wants to help them can.
    Sigh.

• @Quercus:

And the dogs don't look like they have been fighting. Could well be that there isn't a lot of fighting, because there isn't a resource control issue. If the guy is feeding them plenty (which he says he is, and their condition indicates he is), fighting (probably) only becomes an issue when there are limited resources…for most of us with multiple dogs, the human attention/status is the most valued resource, so we have fighting occasionally.

I agree - they didnt look like they had been fighting and without resource issues the need to fight would not be there. I heard this guy has taken dogs to a shelter which were euthanized however. A fighter who did not learn the pack rules might have ended up there.

• Today a judge here in Hillsborough County ruled that the owner may never own a dog in this county again. I do not know what the next steps are, but the 33 dogs here at HCAC will not be returned to him. I have not heard that the St. Pete court has moved regarding the 12 at the SPCA yet.

• Oh, YEA!!!!!!!!!! I hope the dogs can be released soon.

• @rmholt:

Contrary to some belief, African Basenjis are not wild. They live with people and are owned and used by people. If anything they are more domestic than Western basenjis - they (at least in West Africa) dont run away and they are good watchdogs. .

What most of us would not give to be able to say our Basenjis would not run away if off-leash. I know I do not dare try mine…...:o

• @rmholt:

Contrary to some belief, African Basenjis are not wild. They live with people and are owned and used by people. If anything they are more domestic than Western basenjis - they (at least in West Africa) dont run away and they are good watchdogs. They dont fight amongst one another as much. They live where the people live - except they generally arent allowed in houses. However people in Benin dont spend a lot of time in the house either. They are cared for. In Benin they were shameless beggars for affection. Thanks for the opportunity to continue my mission to dispel this misapprehension. Reading of people who have been in other countries also do not support the "wild basenji". There were said to be some street dogs in a city in Cameroun however there were NO street dogs in Benin - the dog was either at home or with the owner.

However this opinion is based on the premise that these are Basenjis. Many believe these are just nice village mixed dogs.

And also village life where the Avongara's came from (and the Lukuru imports) certainly have a different life structure that the way we live in the US

• @Shaye's:

What most of us would not give to be able to say our Basenjis would not run away if off-leash. I know I do not dare try mine…...:o

My previous 3 Basenjis did not ever run away. I've had them get out for 1 reason or another and they wait in the front yard for me to get home. Now my newest one is not quite as good. But I will give him some time to mature and settle down.

• I think also the issue is that, while there are critters who can chomp a village dog of any breed, we have to worry more about cars hitting out dogs who are NOT car smart.
    Many have lost a b to a car, and its just not worth it.
    So, dogs getting out, IMO is a big deal, at least, in this country.

• My basenjis over the years have all gotten out, some out for hours (I was at work and had no idea) they all stayed close around, most came right back after sprinting up the street. But we had a quieter street, laid back, no big deal. When I had single dogs, we had 2 different ones that would be out front with us, off leash, and just lie in the driveway. So they don't "run away" but they do have intense curiosity and can't be trusted. As Sharron said, the issue is cars and danger to the dogs. If I lived way out in the country, 20 miles from a road, I might leave basenjis loose to come and go as they please, I give them a lot of credit for knowing where the kibble is at the end of the day. I trust them and their instincts, but they just don't know nuthin' 'bout no cars!

• I live away from any busy road but I still can't let my Basenjis come and go because they will hunt and kill livestock. I suppose that's not a big problem in a town. However mine are very wary of traffic. Some got away in a town when I was transferring them into another car. They ran along the pavements well away from the busy road and didn't attempt to cross until they came to a quiet cul de sac.
    Perhaps just because they are not used to traffic? Also one of the words I've taught them is "In" which they do when we meet traffic - our roads don't have pavements.

• Zoey isnt too bad but I cant trust her off leash. She has gotten out a few times though she doesnt head for the open road she cant resist chasing the nearest squirrel or just haveing a sprint where she runs accross the street and circles the neighbors houses a few times before she will decide to come to me. We do live near some traffic that twice a day is busy. So we have now enclosed our portch so now we have that second defense.

• This is from my BRAT friend….

Right now, there are 45 basenjis. Among them are four litters of young pups, probably no older than 3 weeks. I am tickled to death that Animal Services in Hillsborough will allow us to socialize these dogs. The shelter is a very good one, with separate spacious indoor/outdoor runs, heated floors, and cots in each space.

Thanks for your concern.

Debbi

• Houston

Awesome news..Thank you so much for sharing Sharron..

• I will keep you posted when I hear anything.

• @rmholt:

Contrary to some belief, African Basenjis are not wild. They live with people and are owned and used by people…... Reading of people who have been in other countries also do not support the "wild basenji". There were said to be some street dogs in a city in Cameroun however there were NO street dogs in Benin - the dog was either at home or with the owner.

(partial quote above)

Sorry to disagree with you but this forum has an occasional poster from Benin that has stated that most of the Basenjis and Basenji crosses in Benin were in fact wild &/or street dogs.

• Houston

I have a friend from Ghana, bordering to Benin, and they have several dogs that look like Otis (my basenji, but in red, it is more common he said) and they are wild, into everybodies trash, trying to get to the chickens people keep and all.
    He did say however, even though they look just like a basenji, in body style, curled tail and always have white feet, they bark..he has heard howling in the distance, but never seen one of these dogs do it..

kind of interesting I think…

• Many, many years ago, early 80s, we were walking our several basenjis along the street near our home. A car stopped and a man in his 30's got out and was amazed to see so many (5) basenjis. He had spent the last 10 years living in Africa, can't remember where, and said that where he was, small packs of basenjis roamed, wild, but would occasionally just "move in" to a village. Some dogs would stay with the humans but after some time, most of the pack would move on. I imagine the "moving-in" was for scavenging, and some may have decided they liked scraps!

This is purely third-hand, told to me quite unsolicited, well over 25 years ago, Snorky 998's post triggered the memory!

Suggested Topics