• Interesting, a Michael A DeMarco Jr of Stamford,CT with beagles had all his AKC privileges suspended for the next 10 years in February 2009.

Here is the April 2009 secretary's page listing the notice.
    http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/secretary_page/0409.pdf

Here is the notice that appears in the report

NOTICE
    The AKC?s Management Disciplinary
    Committee has suspended the following
    individuals from all AKC privileges for ten
    years and imposed a $2000 fine for conduct
    prejudicial to purebred dogs, purebred dog
    events, or to the best interests of The
    American Kennel Club based on their violation
    of the AKC?s Cruelty Conviction Policy:

Effective February 6, 2009
    Mr. Michael A. Demarco, Jr. (Stamford,
    CT) Beagle

• Notice he says "A visit to my ESTATE is encouraged." Somebody ought to take him up on that!

• Houston

Notice he says "A visit to my ESTATE is encouraged." Somebody ought to take him up on that!

I saw that and thought the same..

• I made a visit via satellite to Mr. Demarco's "estate" at 353 Melrose St in Rotterdam. I'm not sure I would call it an estate. In fact, I'm quite sure I would find some other descriptor for it.

• Can anyone make a drive up and see it?

• If anyone chooses to do this, please be careful. I'm wondering whether this is a scam. If it is, the scammer is already a criminal. I would suggest to drive past for a general impression, but avoid knocking on the door.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Can anyone make a drive up and see it?

Google street view has been through that area, so you can look pretty closely online.
    Just Google the address in google maps, zoom in as far as possible, then click on the little yellow figure above the zoom, and drag him to the street in front of the house. You can then look around.

The registrant address is in Rotterdam, however the IP is in Dallas.

I hope that a cease and desist letter from the people whose pictures he stole will be enough to get his site down for a while.

-Nicole

• I wonder if the "estate" this guy is talking about is in Wimauma Florida? 😃

• I actually called Michael Demarco's number that was listed on the WhoIs page and spoke with him about the ad. He mentioned that he was not a breeder, nor is he selling the dogs, but is merely webhosting the site for a 'client,' named Frank that lives somewhere in the Tricities just outside of Albany. I asked for Frank's number, but Demarco said he didn't have it on him, so I left him mine. Frank actually called me 10 minutes later.

I asked Frank how many puppies they had available and he mentioned that they only had 1 tri-male that was three weeks old. I asked about the dog's pedigree but he kept asking me if I was a breeder. I asked if he did any testing, he asked if I was a breeder. I asked for more history about the dog and it's lineage and he asked if I was a breeder. I told him that I was not, but was merely looking for a companion dog for our male red. I asked him if HE was a breeder but he stuttered and said that they were not breeders and were a small outfit. I kept prodding about the puppy's dam & sire, to which he replied that he'd have his wife call me to answer all my questions about pedigree. I'm guessing they're picking the 'suckers' and first time buyers out there?

I'm going to call Demarco again tomorrow and have Frank's wife call me. So far, I think it's really sketchy that I have to go through a middle person to get into contact with someone about a dog. Does anyone have any suggestions of questions I should be asking Frank's wife? Should I say that I would like to start breeding? Would that open a door for more conversation?

lol, I was tempted to ask Demarco how the Beagles are doing… 0_o

Emm

• Emm,

Just please be careful.

-Nicole

• If you do call again, I would just play it like you were a person just looking to buy a dog… and since you already have one, shouldn't be a stretch for them to realize that you know something about the breed, hence the questions.

• Sounds like mess…that poor pup. I hope someone kind and knowledgable buys it.
    Sigh

• Houston

I left my contact info on the website two days ago, but haven't heard anything yet..will keep you posted if I do..
    This is all weird..

• Ok here I go again I talked with this Frank back on 12th Oct same ad same kind of deal one pup so on. By the way his wife's name is Diana. I used a fake later on in Nov same junk came back so I do not know if there are really puppies or this is just all lie. Either way the names I go from them on the parents I looked until I found were they came from but my point is were does this really go? Wrong to use pictures and I hope he get's into trouble but could be even worse it all could be just lies about puppies.

Rita Jean

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

Does anyone have any suggestions of questions I should be asking Frank's wife? Should I say that I would like to start breeding? Would that open a door for more conversation?

lol, I was tempted to ask Demarco how the Beagles are doing…

😃 You're just not right….:D

Regarding questions: Apparently they know breeders are going to want to check other breeders against any databases. That's why he kept asking. Stay on track as a private purchaser. Ask about health testing in general, do not say specific tests to see what he says he tests for. Since you already have a Basenji, he will assume you have a clue, but don't act too knowledgeable. Find out whether there is a photo of the pup somewhere and whether it can be registered. Also, find out whether they were serious about a visit to the "estate" and where they are located. DO NOT give any more personal information.

This stinks of scam and may have to be turned in to American law enforcement. Be careful.

Lastly, talk to Canadian law enforcement if this gets any more....hinky...to see whether they have any jurisdiction on this one since you are Canadian and the scam may be going across the border. It could complicate things for the scammers.

• Very good advice AJ. I will be interested to hear what happens.

• Ms. Sharron, I think we all would be interested in what happens next.

• @Rita:

Ok here I go again I talked with this Frank back on 12th Oct same ad same kind of deal one pup so on. By the way his wife's name is Diana. I used a fake later on in Nov same junk came back so I do not know if there are really puppies or this is just all lie. Either way the names I go from them on the parents I looked until I found were they came from but my point is were does this really go? Wrong to use pictures and I hope he get's into trouble but could be even worse it all could be just lies about puppies.

Rita Jean

And have they been health tested like claimed? Do you care to share the pedigrees of the pups? And where it goes is very possible that they don't even have pups, but a scam to get money from people

• If they are taking money via the mail, the postal inspectors can get on to them…sometimes they work quicker than some other gov. agencies...sometime not...
    But its something to consider if someone was scammed and it was via mail.

• I believe the subject of pedigree should be avoided at the cost of spooking the scammer. If the subject is pushed too hard, the "seller" may think the dam and sire will be run through a database. They are not dummies. If they are scamming, they are looking for people without experience in breeding and showing. Ms. Pat, I understand your interest in the pedigree…you ask this of everybody and it is a first question for you. However, you are a breeder and have a reputable kennel. Your insistent question of pedigree is a giveaway on this and will spook a criminal.

Scams like this can be "busted" by Interstate Commerce Commission, US Postmaster, FBI and, if taken across our northern border, Interpol and RCMP.

Suggested Topics