Do Basenjis behave better as they grow old?

• I think it's depend on dog's personality. Our Geasy will be 9 in January and he devastated our flat (especially he scratched on the wall) until he was 2 yrs old. Since that time he is absolutely calm. Some dogs grow up from this behavior and some not…

• Houston

few incidents or a few things? We all know Otis and his adventures of counter surfing.

I use the word few very loosely..it has been abundant..let's put it like that..

• Although you're dog-sitting for your brother (temporary or permanent?) you still might want to do an obedience class and do follow up practice at home; that will help train the dog and give you some direction while taking care of him. Or check to see if there are any racing or coursing groups near where you live, or agility or rally classes. Something to give the dog physical and mental exercise. Get some interactive type toys (the kind you can hide kibble in) to keep him busy when you can't be with him. Besenjis are very inquisitive and like a lot of stimulation and if they aren't satisfied they start to chew on stuff.

• Now no one get upset for this "Do men ever grow up?" If you can answer this with age you now know when your baby will grow up. LOL. Have fun and good luck

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Now no one get upset for this "Do men ever grow up?" If you can answer this with age you now know when your baby will grow up. LOL. Have fun and good luck

Rita Jean

"Boy" Basenjis never grow up… period...:D

• Topper is 14, he will grab things off my desk or pull things out of the pantry when he wants attention or a biscuit. Nicky is 12 and no leather item or toilet tissue is safe around her. Ed at 10 never bothers anything that isn't his.

Long walks, a dog park if you have one, remember: a tired dog is a good dog.

And training, working together, will help too.

Our first basenji was "One year old male basenji, free to good home" and he was a challenge. I saw many similar ads over the years, all "1 year old" basenjis. Hang on another year and you have a great dog.

• Hmmmm . . . Interesting question.

Here's a quote that I think on often. It's a good news/bad news thing, but I think it's mostly true.

You have the dog you trained.

• @tanza:

"Boy" Basenjis never grow up… period...:D

Say it ain't so!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes::D

• Houston

Originally Posted by tanza
    "Boy" Basenjis never grow up… period...

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!

eekk..That figures..

• @lvoss:

Getting into the trash is what Nicky did today. Yesterday he pulled papers off my desk and ripped them to shreds. He has also "tested" all the new bully pads for Rio's whelping pen for chew resistance as I was unpacking them. He does chew less than he did as a youngster but he still gets into plenty of trouble. For him household stress is a trigger for bad behavior so the rash shredded paper, counter surfing, etc is all in anticipation of the new puppy's arrival.

Yesterday, eleven year old Querk got into my training bag, and ate half a bag of training treats, and shredded half a dozen tissues. Although Querk didn't do these things out of stress..he did them out of opportunity 😉

The only thing that I have noticed declines dramatically with age is play nipping. Everything else continues at the same rate, unless you take active steps to either keep the dog from doing the behavior, or train a different behavior.

• @agilebasenji:

Hmmmm . . . Interesting question.

Here's a quote that I think on often. It's a good news/bad news thing, but I think it's mostly true.

You have the dog you trained.

Well…yes....BUT...don't you think there is also a large component (especially for B owners) of how you set the dog up? A lot of Bs just can't be trusted unsupervised, and that isn't something you can train...you just manage them by keeping them safe when you aren't there. And you get a covered garbage can, and you put your purse up, etc...

But, yes, for the most part, I totally agree with that sentiment...sadly 😉 Sometimes you get lucky, and you do everything wrong, and the dog still turns out okay 🙂

• AJ's favorite target is my CB microphone cord when he's left loose in the truck while it's in a shop of some kind…or when I go to someone's house. I have replaced the microphone four times. Now he goes in his crate when I have work done on the truck and he has to stay in it. He's good at truck stops, pickups, deliveries and terminals. I think the idea of his truck going inside a "cave" freaks him out. And when I'm inside a house he feels like he's missing out on something.

As for "growing out of it" I can't speak to that. At a year old, it's not teething chewing any more. I would suggest get him lots of chewy toys and (if you can trust him with them) bones. Try to divert his attention when he's going after something he shouldn't, as Mr. Nobarkus suggested. Repitition and patience are the key with Basenji. If he absolutely cannot be trusted while you aren't home, put him in a crate. Contrary to some belief, it is not cruel to crate a dog to keep it safe and out of trouble.

• Houston

I totally agree with AJsHuman..
    It is not cruel to confine your dog to a crate while not at home, it is safe and secure, for him and for teh potential hazards around teh house.
    I do believe if you feel guilty about crating the dog, he will sense that and make it even harder to crate..whining and crying etc.
    Otis does not like his crate..he cries and bites the bars in an attempt to get out..but I am very matter a fact about it and in he goes..as a matter of fact..the only times Otis makes any sounds like howling or yodeling is if he is in his crate..and I love hearing it..

• @renaultf1:

Say it ain't so!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes::D

Hey, that means the entertainment continues! 😃

• @MacPack:

Our first basenji was "One year old male basenji, free to good home" and he was a challenge. I saw many similar ads over the years, all "1 year old" basenjis. Hang on another year and you have a great dog.

MacPack: You keep telling me this - so I'm hanging in there, but as you know, my 1 yr. old bitch typifies the word!!

• It cannot be stressed enough – a tired Basenji is a GREAT Basenji!
    Locked up in a house or apartment all day while you work means they have TONS of energy when you get home and want to rest.
    Long walks, toys, more walks, and weekend runs with other dogs will DEFINITELY help.

Just my experience...

• @Quercus:

Well…yes....BUT...don't you think there is also a large component (especially for B owners) of how you set the dog up? A lot of Bs just can't be trusted unsupervised, and that isn't something you can train...you just manage them by keeping them safe when you aren't there. And you get a covered garbage can, and you put your purse up, etc...

But, yes, for the most part, I totally agree with that sentiment...sadly 😉 Sometimes you get lucky, and you do everything wrong, and the dog still turns out okay 🙂

Yes that's why I said "mostly". Of course some human/dog combos should be avoided. The avid gardener who has an immaculate yard should avoid owning terriers for example. And as much as I work the recall (okay, I've been slack in the winter) I don't think a basenji mid-rabbit chase will turn around and come back to me. But if you remember, last time I tried the rabbit/basenji/recall combo, Zest retrieved a 1/2 dead rabbit and put it right at my feet. Ick, but for me, that says huge volumes about my relationship with her and our training.

And of course if you dog is unsupervised, your not really training him (although he is learning). I find people most often have problems with the self-rewarding behaviors. "But I didn't train him to counter-surf." :rolleyes: And yet, the dog was still rewarded for doing so. Management and setting up the pup for good behaviors/habbits are both important tools in our toolboxes.

Understand what your dog finds rewarding and use that information.

• @Bebedo26:

It cannot be stressed enough – a tired Basenji is a GREAT Basenji!
    Locked up in a house or apartment all day while you work means they have TONS of energy when you get home and want to rest.
    Long walks, toys, more walks, and weekend runs with other dogs will DEFINITELY help.

Just my experience...

YES!

Both physical and mental exercises are needed.

• we don't have a problem with the trash, but we no curtians left as Chaos thinks they are her personal chew toys.

Suggested Topics