Basenji and food problem suggestions

• I'm just writing to update that since the switch back, Benji is doing well again. Bile only once so far, and no mud-pies at all either. Now we're learning to deal with the snow, but that's a whole other story.

I'm still researching what new food to transition Benji over too, also he is only eating all his food late at night, none in the morning or during the day. Because of that pattern, I leave it out all day. If I really want him to eat twice a day, perhaps I should remove it at night all together to see if the next morning he manages to eat?

• The best way to instill good eating habits is to decide when you want to feed him then offer him food at that time for 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat it then the food goes away. A healthy dog will not starve themselves and will get the idea that when food is offered to eat it or it won't be there later. Some dogs may miss several meals before catching on but that is okay. In the wild, dogs do not eat everyday so missing some meals isn't going to hurt them.

• @starcentral:

I'm just writing to update that since the switch back, Benji is doing well again. Bile only once so far, and no mud-pies at all either. Now we're learning to deal with the snow, but that's a whole other story.

I'm still researching what new food to transition Benji over too, also he is only eating all his food late at night, none in the morning or during the day. Because of that pattern, I leave it out all day. If I really want him to eat twice a day, perhaps I should remove it at night all together to see if the next morning he manages to eat?

Getting him to eat 2 times a day shouldn't take too long for him to figure out what is happening.

Just put out the food in the morning. Remove the bowl after 30 minutes (or 15 like mentioned above, I used 30, so he gets some time to register the food). Then don't offer any food until the evening meal. Leave for 30 minutes, and remove.

He most likely will get pretty hungry the first day or 2. But don't worry. Basenjis are the "world best" actors in faking starvation. Also their stomachs are developed in such a way they can go for long periods without food. Actually I read an article saying Basenjis are one of the breeds that could get by on 1 meal a day…but it was still recommended to spilt the amount and feed 2 times, for digestion/health reasons.

I started a 2 times a day for Gizmo 2 weeks ago. His transition was more natural...he just stopped eating all his mid-day and evening meals, just left them half done. So I understood he didn't need 3 times a day anymore.

• I'm so glad to hear that Benji is improving.

Don't worry if he'll only eat once a day leave that to him to decide. In my experience if a Basenji only wants eat once a day that's all he needs.

If the time is inconvenient to you do exactly as Ivoss suggests.

• I realize this thread is very old. I joined here because I had ordered a new food online, basically because it was on sale and I had a coupon. It turned out to be a blessing. My basenji, Ginger, has ALWAYS has COARSE and pokey fur. It was like petting a brillo pad. But after this new food, it is super soft and these rashes that she kept getting on her belly has completely subsided. I don't really know WHY this food agrees with her better, but it does.
    I'm not trying to use different flavors of the same brand to see if they work as great for her. I ordered Journey brand dog food, the Salmon and Sweet Potato. I also tried the limited ingredient version and that was horrible. So I'm sticking with the regular grain free. I ordered on Chewy and they have bags at 50% off. You can also get a discount if you sign up to auto ship (which you could later cancel). Anyway, this was a HUGE blessing for me. I've had Ginger for 7 years with 7 years of battling and changing foods. FINALLY, she is eager to eat and is much healthier.

• Purina isn't that great. With a dog with diarrhea, you need to put him on riced to firm up his stool. Bile usually is due to not eating often enough. Once a day won't do it, and in fact I feed my dog 2x a day with a snack midday and before bed.

Many if not most foods we can get are available in Canada.

from DogFoodAdviser... I don't think the best reviewer but safe:

Dog Food Form Rating
    Acana Regionals Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Horizon Legacy Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Merrick Grain Free Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Nature’s Variety Instinct Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Taste of the Wild Wet 5 stars
    Victor Grain Free Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Wellness Core Dog Food Dry 5 stars
    Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Grain-Free (Dry)
    Fromm Four Star Nutritionals (Dry)
    Fromm Gold Coast Dog Food (Dry)
    Fromm Gold Dog Food (Dry)
    Fromm Heartland Gold (Dry)

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-grain-free-dog-foods/best-grain-free-dog-foods-dry/

You might also switch to fish based. Protein allergies are most common with poultry and beef.

I personally love

• We tried Purina Pro Plan food on our 3 rescues. Even though we gave this to them a little at a time to blend in over several weeks, they ALL had very runny stools and it would not stop. In fact, the more Pro Plan they got the more trips to the yard. Gave it up, and no more problems. This was Pro Plan dry and wet. Same results either way.

Suggested Topics