We almost lost Buana last night

• Thanks so much Pat, I think this is very usefull for everybody that ownes a dog or a cat!

Even if you know in your head what you supposed to do, It's great to have this to check beause when someting happens you just sometimes don't know how to react…

• @Buana:

Thanks so much Pat, I think this is very usefull for everybody that ownes a dog or a cat!

Even if you know in your head what you supposed to do, It's great to have this to check beause when someting happens you just sometimes don't know how to react…

Exactly… panic is the first response.... I had my OJ years ago choking on a rawhide chew that was getting small... I was able to get my fingers on it in his throat and get it out.. but let me tell you... my hand and arm were a mess as the poor boy was in a panic and bite the crap out of me.... I wish I would have had these instructions then! I now have them around the house and also carry in my groom kit when ever I take the dogs to shows or trials.

• Houston

Wow, that was some intense reading..I am so sorry y'all had to go through that..Bless his heart..So scary.

I have some bullysticks, that I call "cratesticks" they are allowed to lay in their crates (for non fighting purpose) while I am in the room reading or the kids are watching TV..never alone, or while we are gone out of the house.

My westie, Bogus, once swallowed a whole rib and it got stuck in his throat, much like what Pat described, I too stuck my whole fist in his mouth trying to reach this now very slippery bone so I could yank it out of there..many bites on my hand later, it finally worked..It was scary to say the least and he wasn't even close to as bad off as Buana..

I printed out the CPR thing, thanks Pat..

• First Basenji's

HOLY COW, KIM! :eek: I was in a panic just reading your story! You did great…..so glad you were there and had the presence of mind to save your 'baby'. I appreciate you sharing the ordeal with us..........gives everyone a chance to learn from you. I learn something new everyday on this forum! I've printed out the Animal CPR information.............thank you forum people! You are so cool! 🆒

• Oh my god! How horrible :eek:
    I'm so sorry, that you had to go through this!!! Was very scared while reading and so happy that Buana is well again… Poor boy!
    Never want to see my dogs like that 😞 We would panic, too.
    Nothing to chew when we are away! But Bs are always finding something...

Hugs to you!

• Kim, you get the "Keeping your head in an emergency" prize. I doubt I would have even remembered I had a book, much less had the calmness to look up what to do.

I had to dig a piece of rawhide out of Topper's throat years ago and I was scared to death. I would never have thought to pick him upside-down and shake him.

I am so glad Buana is OK today, thanks only to you and Kas !

• @MacPack:

Kim, you get the "Keeping your head in an emergency" prize. I doubt I would have even remembered I had a book, much less had the calmness to look up what to do.

I had to dig a piece of rawhide out of Topper's throat years ago and I was scared to death. I would never have thought to pick him upside-down and shake him.

I am so glad Buana is OK today, thanks only to you and Kas !

Thanks, I sure was in panic but I had to stay calm to save his life..
    At this moment, I ask myself how could I stay that calm?..

• It felt like I was reading a really intense part of a novel.. it felt as if I didn't breathe reading it, just couldn't wait to find out what happened. Thank God he's ok.

• Oh my goodness Kim, how awful for you all. Poor Buana, it's a good job you were both there. Please can you explain about the method you used a bit more, i would like to know for future reference.
    Thanks Pat for the link, have put it in my favourites and will print it out.
    Give Buana a hug from us

• I'm so glad you were able to save your baby!!! I did CPR on my King Charles spaniel when he had a stroke and stopped breathing right in front of me. Gave him mouth to snout breaths and compressions. Didn't know exactly where or what depth to compress but it worked thank God. My nursing training just took over somehow. Please give Buana a hug and some extra love from Abbey and me!

• Mav does best with the Beef bones too, Never chokes on them thank goodness!!! Hes kinda a girl tho, just does the little bitty very careful nibbles on them LOL. But hey, Thats a good thing, less likely to have a choke. SOOO Glad to hear B is OKAY!! 🙂

Suggested Topics