Cesar Milan in the UK - March 2010

• @NerdyDogOwner:

Odd that US has such strict rules in buying guns with applications and long waiting times, but a life can be bought without a blink of an eye… :eek:

Personally I don't find your analogy even remotely related, but here goes with some thoughts.

The US has waiting periods on gun purchases for a couple of reasons - one that a background check can be run - so a convicted felon can't legally buy a gun. Also, so that if someone is trying to purchase in the "heat of the moment" (say domestic argument), they have a cooling off period. Personally I don't think gun purchase is strict enough in the US (and I am all FOR being able to own guns).

Now, back to dogs…
    Do I think someone should be able to just go in a petstore look at a dog and walk out with it the same day - NO; neither should they be able purchase one over the internet. Personally I think petstores (and internet sellers) in the US should be banned from selling live animals...period. Responsible breeders have websites, but that is so that prospective buyers can learn about the breed and make contact to ask questions and apply to purchase an animal - I don't think you are going to find a shopping cart (where you can add an animal) on a responsible breeder's website.

• Pet stores in the US are overpriced anyway.

Can you even buy a gun at all in Europe?

• @AJs:

Pet stores in the US are overpriced anyway.QUOTE]

For live pets/dogs? or in general? And for "live" pet prices they have to be to cover their costs and make money

• For puppies. You can get a pup in great health, usually for a lower price, from a reputable breeder. Stores like to charge hundreds of dollars for mutts.

• so a….did anyone hear back...has Cesar Milan ever worked with a Basenji? 🙂

• @kdrockas:

so a….did anyone hear back...has Cesar Milan ever worked with a Basenji? 🙂

Really, Cesar or Victoria, or anyone else with a TV show?? I never meant to start such a debate, just thought it was curious that I've never seen a Basenji on any of these type of shows regardless of the method. IMHO, it just comes down to getting to know your dog and finding out what combination of methods works best for you AND your dog AND your lifestyle.
    What works for a breeder with multiple show dogs will not necessarily work with the family of 4 or 5 with one pet, or the single person, or the single mom or dad with kids, or the lure courser,etc., etc. It's all very situational. Like I said, my humble opinion.

edit: the one thing I think we can all agree on is that a tired Basenji is a "good" Basenji:D

• As to training methods and so forth - my B's both had obedience training - it worked while in class, and occasionally when they are by themselves - but - the two of them together? Let's just say I'm praying when my puppies become dogs they will calm down on their own, even if just a little.

• @kdrockas:

so a….did anyone hear back...has Cesar Milan ever worked with a Basenji? 🙂

I sent a email but no one has sent me anything back.

Rita Jean

• I have been trying to persuade Irene to get Cesar to come to a seminar at NBS - perhaps this might be her opportunity to ask his agents. Obviously to get him over specially would be too expensive but perhaps if he was already over here.

I'll have to check if she will do it.

• I would love to see Cesar take on a 'Senji! 🙂 We always joke about it on our walks with She-Ra.

• @BART:

What works for a breeder with multiple show dogs will not necessarily work with the family of 4 or 5 with one pet, or the single person, or the single mom or dad with kids, or the lure courser,etc., etc. It's all very situational. Like I said, my humble opinion.

I agree with you. The beauty of these dogs is that while they have traits that are unique to them, I've never really seen two behave the same way.

At the dog park we take ours to, we've had more than a few people ask about her, and I try and tell them the complete story because once you tell them she's "barkless" you see their eyes light up. 🙂 So I'm quick to add the "negatives" with all the good stuff so they know what they're getting into with one. I tell them they're like switching to black coffee…once you get a B, no other breed will do, but there's a definite learning curve. 🙂

• @torchsong:

I agree with you. The beauty of these dogs is that while they have traits that are unique to them, I've never really seen two behave the same way.

At the dog park we take ours to, we've had more than a few people ask about her, and I try and tell them the complete story because once you tell them she's "barkless" you see their eyes light up. 🙂 So I'm quick to add the "negatives" with all the good stuff so they know what they're getting into with one. I tell them they're like switching to black coffee…once you get a B, no other breed will do, but there's a definite learning curve. 🙂

Yes you mention "barkless" and the eyes light up with an "I'm sold". Then you have to quickly give all the traits. 😃

Suggested Topics