Two 10 month old male basenjis in need of homes!

• The breeder of my little Lenny has two ~10 month old puppies that need loving homes. Kelli (Kiroja Basenjis - www.kirojabasenjis.com) is a great breeder, animal lover and a great person all around. She has unfortunately found herself in a position where she has to find homes for her two pups, Rocky and Tyson, very soon. It's a long story, but her landlord has said that she HAS to reduce the number of dogs in her apartment, ASAP. She has known all along that she would not be keeping Rocky or Tyson, and was patiently waiting for the right owner to inquire, but now there is more urgency to get them into good homes. I told her I'd post this message to try and help.

I have been around them several times, and they are great, very affectionate and well socialized with other dogs (Kelli has several other basenjis in her home.) I have attached a picture of them when they were last at my house. Rocky is the red and white, and Tyson is the brindle. They are a bundle of fun.

If you are interested, or know anyone that might be interested, and most importantly, can provide a good basenji home (we all know what that means), PM me and I can give you Kellis contact info.

attachment_t_2320_0_puppies.jpg

• My wife and I are very interested in Rocky. We just lost our first Basenji which we bought from a breeder in Oklahoma. We only had him a month and a half. Our Vet says the cause of death was either from a virus which he had when we received him or genetic defect. The breeder is surprised by his death and will refund our money or give up the pick of his next litter, but we are wary about the virus or genetic defects in his dogs.
    We really loved the little fella, and it has really torn us up. We are interested in getting another Basenji, in good health, as soon as possible.
    Bob

• Hi Bob,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your first basenji. 😞 That's very sad. I just private messaged you with Kellis contact info and have given her a heads up that you might be contacting her.

Good luck!
    Michelle

• @AlaskanBob:

My wife and I are very interested in Rocky. We just lost our first Basenji which we bought from a breeder in Oklahoma. We only had him a month and a half. Our Vet says the cause of death was either from a virus which he had when we received him or genetic defect. The breeder is surprised by his death and will refund our money or give up the pick of his next litter, but we are wary about the virus or genetic defects in his dogs.
    We really loved the little fella, and it has really torn us up. We are interested in getting another Basenji, in good health, as soon as possible.
    Bob

If you don't mind telling us, who was the breeder? and very sorry to hear about the loss…. that is so very hard at any age, but especially a baby pup....

• Pat,

The breeder is Gary Maxwell in Keota, OK. Sharon (Bob's wife) flew down from Anchorage last week and left today with Adam, Chance's handsome red brother.
    Too many things about their Sammy's death just didn't seem right and I highly suggested getting a refund, as no puppy should die by 4 months of age.

I do know of someome that contacted Gary about his upcoming puppies, and his comments RE: fanconi testing were we don't test for fanconi as we have his ancesters and just bred his 11 year old grandmother to his 10 year old grandfather so as you can well see there is no disease in our dogs.

I was forwarded another email reply from Gary to her that said *we have a health warranty, the pedigree is something you can order when you register your pup. we'll be glad to test for any disease but at your expense unless the test is positive then it would be ours and the deal would be off. I don't know how long or even the processs for fanconi disease as none of ours have ever had it and at this price and size of the pup the shipping is going to eat up most of the price. *

So, sounds like a case of you get what you pay for in the mind of Gary and Sheila Maxwell. Sad excuse for the term breeder.

I think that Bob and Sharon will be very pleased with Adam. He is a well-trained youngster that is sweet and loving and extremely licky and cuddly. Hopefully they will soon share pictures!

• @khanis:

Pat,

The breeder is Gary Maxwell in Keota, OK. Sharon (Bob's wife) flew down from Anchorage last week and left today with Adam, Chance's handsome red brother.
    Too many things about their Sammy's death just didn't seem right and I highly suggested getting a refund, as no puppy should die by 4 months of age.

I do know of someome that contacted Gary about his upcoming puppies, and his comments RE: fanconi testing were we don't test for fanconi as we have his ancesters and just bred his 11 year old grandmother to his 10 year old grandfather so as you can well see there is no disease in our dogs.

I was forwarded another email reply from Gary to her that said *we have a health warranty, the pedigree is something you can order when you register your pup. we'll be glad to test for any disease but at your expense unless the test is positive then it would be ours and the deal would be off. I don't know how long or even the processs for fanconi disease as none of ours have ever had it and at this price and size of the pup the shipping is going to eat up most of the price. *

So, sounds like a case of you get what you pay for in the mind of Gary and Sheila Maxwell. Sad excuse for the term breeder.

I think that Bob and Sharon will be very pleased with Adam. He is a well-trained youngster that is sweet and loving and extremely licky and cuddly. Hopefully they will soon share pictures!

Thanks Kathy,
    I was wondering if it was Maxwell….. and yes we hear alot of that don't we... "We have no health issues.." and god... breeding an 11yr old bitch?... yikes that would put me off right there... and obviously they don't care about learning about Fanconi DNA....

• Makes me angry to read of these breeders!!! SHAME on them!! :mad:

• We were able to pickup Tyson from Kelli and brought him home on Monday. His new buddies Chevy (Tri-female) and Chase (RW-male) are beginning to accept Tyson into our home. Chase has no problem but Chevy is very protective of us and very bitchy toward Tyson. After two days she is getting better. Chase he doesn't care he just goes with the flow. The first night was interesting but we made it through. Our B's sleep in our bed and Chevy wasn't too happy about having to share with Tyson. She doesn't bother him when they are outside together it is mostly inside our house which she is very protective. I have attached a picture of all them together.
    attachment_p_27058_0_tysonchevychase.jpg

• Oh i'm so glad this worked out! They look lovely all three of them on the chair! Congrats! Tell Tyson his brother Lenny in NY says "baroooooo!"

• @jmcduff:

We were able to pickup Tyson from Kelli and brought him home on Monday. His new buddies Chevy (Tri-female) and Chase (RW-male) are beginning to accept Tyson into our home. Chase has no problem but Chevy is very protective of us and very bitchy toward Tyson. After two days she is getting better. Chase he doesn't care he just goes with the flow. The first night was interesting but we made it through. Our B's sleep in our bed and Chevy wasn't too happy about having to share with Tyson. She doesn't bother him when they are outside together it is mostly inside our house which she is very protective. I have attached a picture of all them together.

Ha! Her body language says it all!!! Good luck, and I hope things get better and better! Beautiful dog family there!

Suggested Topics