• @wizard:

If he likes his crate, I would work with that. Make sure he spends more in it while you are visible and also while you're in another room. You can also get DAP as a wall plugin - which I think is better than the spray as it is emitted constantly and consistently.

I know about the DAP plugin, but the spay seems more useful.
    DAP products only last 4 weeks, and for that short duration and the price they are asking I can't afford using the collar or plugin products. The spray seems more "bang for my buck" since I can just 2xspray in his crate every 2-3 days, or when I have leave for a long time.

• Well I just got the Homeopet Anxiety Relief today, and have given him 2 doses. 1 in his water, 1 in his evening meal.

Says I am to give 3 doses a day (5 drops each dose), but he seems pretty darn relaxed just after these 2 doses. Wow! I am very surprised!

Going to be exciting to see how he is tomorrow when I go shopping.

• GOD! I can't take this much longer!!!! (yes I am writing this while frustrated, please forgive me. I have to get this out).

Gizmos separation anxiety is effecting my life. I can't go outside. I can't go visit friends. Just going out to buy food has become a race, I have to plan what I want to get and run to the store and try to be a fast as I can. If I find out I have forgotten something, I just have to wait til the next day to try again, because leaving 2 times a day Gizmo goes crazy, and pukes.

I had to CANCEL all other family dinners this xmas (we usually go to familys on the second and third day after xmas), because I can't leave him alone!! I was seriously depressed. And for New Years I missed everything because I had to stay with him.

On xmas day (day after xmas, forget what it's called) I had to DRUG him! I hated having to resort to drugs, but on xmas I put him in his crate while everyone was at dinner and as well when the time came to open gifts. I couldn't have him loose, because my sisters kids are scared of him. 😞
    Eventually he started running in circles in the crate, and biting/chewing at the bars. Crying and whining. He got his jaw stuck several times between the spaces and SCREAMED in pain. Started panting, and shaking.

And today (yesterday now…lol) I had a friend over, I put him in his crate so we could watch a movie. He went crazy again. Spinning in circles, panting like mad. I didn't have the heart, or the patience to wait til he calmed down. So instead I put him in his room, with the babygate. More room to move in I thought, and this did help for a little while.

But it didn't take long for him starting to trying to dig his way out of the babygate, trying to jump over only to fall and yalp in pain. Then he started chewing the babygate bars....and got his jaw stuck, and he SCREAMED. I jumped out of my chair and ran over. He looked pale and was shaking like mad, and screamed as I reached out to touch him... It was SO heartbreaking.

So I had to drug him (only 1/2 a pill this time)...just to watch a damn movie!!!! I am so frustrated I am almost gonna cry. I don't like the thoughts I am having...like giving him up...sigh, but I love the guy...I can't do that.

I can't afford the professional trainer, because thanks to the bills of his bloody stool thing with all the tests that followed...I couldn't even afford buying xmas presents for my family...they actually bought stuff to themselves from me. I have never felt so "poor" in my life. It broke my heart.

And now I have to get his teeth pulled because they won't fall out and are causing problems as his adult teeth grow in. I can hear "grinding" as his teeth rub against each other, and he is clearing having problems and constantly making funny faces.

I have been trying to get him get used to be in his room more often. Leaving him in there every day for 1-2 hours. He has never gone nuts before. Sure he will whine and cry, but never start biting and clawing. And I am sitting right outside the door, so he can see me. He would calm down after 20 minutes or so. I really thought things where going well. Until today. I guess he really wanted to be a part of the fun or something.

The tips I have read on the internet have helped very little. Most of them focus on giving him something like a filled Kong or Buster cube to keep in occupied as I leave. But Gizmo drops everything the instant I close the babygate. And only 100% focuses on wanting to get out. No matter what I give him.

The Homeopet anxiety drops are not doing a thing. I am waiting for the D.A.P. collar, so I really hope that will help. But I might also have to use the Diffuser as well to give him a higher dose.

I just ordered a book on Preventing/treating separation anxiety on dogs, since I can't afford the professional.. God I hope that book can help.

Sigh sorry for my ranting…. You guys are like a shoulder to cry on...lol

• Have you talked to his breeder?

• @tanza:

Have you talked to his breeder?

No. Never crossed my mind. Why would I do that?

• We know how you feel! Our boy has major separation anxiety that he cries being in his crate in the car about an arm's-length away (MAJOR work in progress!). Like the others in previous posts, he does stop crying after a few minutes and starts again as soon as he hears the key through the door. Fortunately we have family that looks after him when needed. And if there's none, we do leave him at home, alone, in his crate. It's been going well as long as he gets his long walk before, to empty and tire him out at the same time. However in the months when my mom's visiting and she's at home, we absolutely cannot leave him in the crate if we need to go somewhere where dogs are not allowed. He goes nuts when he knows there's people around and he's in his crate. Also known as nonstop crying/whining and destructive chewing.

We do admit however that we screwed up the crating part, which isn't AS bad.. could be worse. And we're still working on it and hoping that he'll one day realize that it isn't so bad. crosses fingers He goes to his crate when we're home as long as it's not shut, when asked or even voluntarily. He doesn't chew on an already chewed up blanky we leave in his crate. He's been eating the treats we leave in there too, unlike before where he totally ignores it. He even destroyed his kongs (2) and not even eat the treats in it. He's improving, we know we just gotta be REALLY patient. 🙂

I've always felt that it's the confinement that he can't stand and that if we were to leave him alone, not crated he'll be fine. But that's just me.. my boyfriend does not think that at all. He thinks that we'll go home with chewed up furniture, if we were to even try that.. and I don't have the courage to test it yet. 😞 I have tried it in short increments of say maybe 5-10 minutes while doing laundry and he's waiting by the door when I get back. 🙂

I agree with Tanza, get some feedback from your breeder. It should help you in one way or another. Talking to Arlene (our breeder) about this issue we have with Kairoe made us realize that we did screw up on the crate training.. and it made it worse because maybe Kairoe was like his mom who does not like the crate either. Of course it's not as bad as how our boy dislikes it, but we've seen how she is in it.

• He doesn't hate his crate. He goes in on his own, and sleeps happily in it. Even if I close him in while I am at home he will accept it. As long as he can see me. If I turn a corner, he will start whining.

I have been thinking of getting a different crate. One of them "airplane" crates with plastic walls, so he doesn't have the chance of getting his jaw stuck like he is doing in this wire one. And perhaps larger, although a larger crate would look awful and dominate in my apartment.

Anyways, after sleeping on it. I have decided to buy some duct-tape and tape up the smaller spaces between the bars on the babygate, the parts that he gets his jaw stuck between.
    As well as upping the floor heat in his room, while keeping the rest of the house "colder". Perhaps his built in Basenji heat seeker will direct him to staying in there, and he might enjoy it more.

I'll send an email to my breeder today and see if she has anything helpful to say.

• Tillo really hates.. or hated.. to be left alone.. That's why we bring him to doggy daycare or to my mom when we go out.. A couple of weeks ago we left him and Lycia alone twice for about 30 to 60 minutes and I got it on camera….. Tillo didn't do anything.. Lycia kept walking around, but Tillo was sleeping.. Don't know what happened there.. Maybe it was because of Lycia? That he's not really alone anymore?
    I don't know why I'm telling you this.. but maybe it gives a bit of hope?

I also wonder how tired Gizmo is before you leave him? We are about to leave Lycia and Tillo alone for maybe 30 minutes.. but we just walked them for two hours.. So we just know they are tired..

• I would only caution you regarding the duct tape: If Gizmo chews the tape and swallows it, he can develop some fairly severe intestinal complications. The strings in duct tape are not digested and may not pass through the digestive tract easily. They can become bound up in his intestine and cause an obstruction.

Regarding the separation anxiety and other behavior problems you are having, I am out of ideas. I would suggest you speak with the breeder and perhaps return him to them for a brief stay to see whether they can straighten him out.

• @Janneke:

I also wonder how tired Gizmo is before you leave him? We are about to leave Lycia and Tillo alone for maybe 30 minutes.. but we just walked them for two hours.. So we just know they are tired..

I have had him completely worn out several times, usually after a dogpark visit. But he will remain in "panic" mode no matter how tired he is. He will fall almost instantly to sleep the moment I walk in the door, but not before he gets to lie down near me.

@AJs:

I would only caution you regarding the duct tape: If Gizmo chews the tape and swallows it, he can develop some fairly severe intestinal complications. The strings in duct tape are not digested and may not pass through the digestive tract easily. They can become bound up in his intestine and cause an obstruction.

Good call. I will use duct tape and then take some clear packaging tape over that just to be safe.
    But anyways, I don't ever leave him alone in his room with only the babygate as a "door" when leaving the appartment. He can (and will) jump/climb over it at all costs (as you have seen).
    I close the normal door when I leave him. The door closes on the inside of his room, so the babygate is on the opposite side of the door away from him and chewing risks.

I only have it open with the babygate when I am home.

@AJs:

Regarding the separation anxiety and other behavior problems you are having, I am out of ideas. I would suggest you speak with the breeder and perhaps return him to them for a brief stay to see whether they can straighten him out.

To be honest, I really don't want to send him to his breeder as a solution. She is "old school" and uses negative enforcement, such as slapping his nose. At least that was her "tip" to me on how to prevent unwanted behavior when I first got him…so that leads me to believe she just might slap him to get him to shut up. Something I don't want to put him through.

• Houston

I feel for you..I wish I had any ideas, but I am all out. The heat in the room, making it cozy sounds good, the plastic crate might be a good one too, some dogs prefer those others prefer the wire ones.
    Otis has bit his wire crate bars together so instead of being rectangular they now look like 8's..terrible, but I don't know what to do.
    He does not like our plastic crate, I think he wants to see out..
    . Do you have a friend or somebody you know that has one that you could try, instead of buying one and then it doesn't work out?
    Do you have blocket or ebay for local sales in Norway? Buy a used one, that way you save some money..they can be really expensive, especially if they don't work and you are stuck with yet one more big thing that isn't in use..

Good luck, keep us posted..

• I like your idea of keeping the heat up in his room, I think that'll help seeing as they do enjoy warmth. Trying the plastic crate may help, less opportunity to see outside of it! I admire the fact that you refuse to send him back to his breeder.. that wouldn't help him at all it seems.

Well, good luck! I hope your new strategies will help. If not, have you considered getting another one to keep him company?? And quite possibly tire each other out!? 😃

• It sounds to me that all this has become a habit but I know you can't turn back the clock to the first time you had him.

Having just read through the posts I feel fior you dreadfully.

Can you try completely altering your routines with him? - going back to square one as though you had just had him? It would of course take much longer but patience is always the key.

Take him for plenty of exercise and if possible don't leave him alone at all until you have very very gradually got him used to you being out of the room. Follow the advice you have already been given as to training him to get used to being left.

Do you go out to work? Can you get some time off if so? Can you not take him shopping with you? I know this will be a very long term thing because something has gone awry in the first place.

I do have a bitch who I have never been able to leave alone but I am lucky because as long as there is another with her she is ok. She won't even be crated on her own and won't tolerate being shut in her crate to eat. I have never had this problem before but it seems that it is in her genes because sevral of her decendants are the same.

I pray that this can be resolved as it sounds as though this has taken over your life!

• Odd giving an update so quickly, but after I today started with my "heating" up his room and lowering the rest of the apartment, things have taken a surprising turn.

In addition to the heat, I also removed his blacket (which is situated next to me when at the computer) and a few pillows. This is because I have a wooden floor, and felt sorry for the guy not having a nice carpet. I even placed his crate in his room.

Anyways, now he is forced to go to his room if he wants to lay down on something better than a hard floor. This took 3 "lay downs" for him to figure out.

He would lay down on the floor (with a rather uncomfortable "clunk" sound) next to me. I then got up and went into his room, sat down next to his blanket and patted it while calling him over. He came over, and laid down with a sigh. Clearly more comfy than that floor!

So, like I mentioned, this happened 3 times. Now he has been going in and out of his room all the time. And spending time in there! Usually he just goes in to get a toy, or a drink. I have left the babygate open the whole time.
    He even took a nap/sleep in there! WOW!

I am relived. I know this might be premature, but I feel this is a step in the right direction. A week with this, and I think I can start closing the babygate without protests.
    To be on the safe side, I am going to use the crate if I have to leave or keep him restrained, and not his room. Just to remove his association of being alone in that room. I want that room to be a happy place, and it seems to be just that now.

EDIT: It's late here, and bed time. And he is sleeping in his room! I am going to see if he willingly sleeps there tonight. I am going to keep the babygate open, so he feels no pressure. Fingers crossed!

• That sounds like a step in the right direction. It is always better when they make the decision to go in their crate and/or room on their own. That way they have a good association with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he starts accepting alone time better.

• Heh, well last night was an adventure. He slept in his room…sort of. He came into my bedroom several times, but I just walked into his room and he followed and jumped into his bed/blanket. I went back to my bed, he came back in to me.

This happened up to 8 times. Eventually he didn't come back. But when I woke up this morning, I found him on the sofa...hmmmmmm. Not sure if he slept there all night or not! Sneaky little guy!

• Hooray - it sounds as though you're making progress. That was a brainwave to make his own room more comfortable and warm than the others.

You've obviously being patient which I think, is the key. If you panic or get desperate he will sense it too.

I'm praying that all will be well soon and we'll have more progress reports.

• Well I got the DAP electric diffuser thing yesterday, and have had it plugged-in in his room. Also his blanket is close to it.

It actually seems to be working. When I closed the babygate all he did was look at me for some time, but never really cried. Just a little whimper here and there. Eventually he started to play with some toys, and just lie down on his blanket.

So today I was looking forward to how he was when I leave the apartment to do some shopping, while in his room. I placed my video camera in his room, and closed the main door.
    Now usually he would howl and cry nonstop. I know because I have filmed him. Also he has sore throat problems because of this.

Well, he did howl, but only for some short bursts maybe for 2-3 minutes. Other than that he just whimpered a little and sat there. Even lied down for a bit!

He did try to climb up to the window ledge, I guess he thinks it's a way out. And try to claw at the door handle….luckily the door swings inward, so I don't think he can get the door open even if he does managed to use it.

The main problem I have is coming home when he is not whimpering and howling. Sometimes I can hear him out the door. But watching the video today I saw it was a bad time to enter. So it seems his howls and cry are also enforced to the idea that that is what it takes to get me home.

SO, the nerd that I am, I ordered a wireless surveillance web-camera to put in his room. And I am going to close his door and sneak into my own bedroom with my laptop and watch him. Only when he lies down and is calm will I go over and open the door to award him.
    Hopefully doing that several times will help. 🙂

I will let you know how it works out!

• Houston

Good to hear..I sure hope things work out.
    I know how frustrating it is when you try one thing after another and nothing seems to work..good luck.

• Just a little update.

Things are not going well. The DAP effect wore out pretty fast. But I am still going to use them, hoping they take hold.

I have been using a webcam and watching him, giving him awards when he lies down, and is quiet.

This did seem to work, but after I had to leave the appartment for a few hours I came home to a destroyed dogbed. He had torn it apart, all stuffing was all over, and he had urinated.

4 days has passed, and now he urinates when put in the room and I leave the apartment. Even for short trips, like to the store. I had bought a new bedding, and he destroyed that one too!

I am starting to think more and more of calling the vet and start him on some drugs, but that does seem unfair since I have not really given him a long enough time to fight this.

Anyways, I am now thinking of enforcing "tough love", and just leave the apartment everyday for 3-4 hours (maybe for for a movie or something). And If he urinates, then fine. I will wash it up. My hope is he will start getting used to it….

Suggested Topics