• I've seen a couple handlers in that area that I would not let within 10 feet of my dog,

• Pat when the dog went to put his paw on his leg he kicked his back legs out from under him. Now had he just pushed the dog down with his hand or I can see taking the knee and lightly pushing down ok but not his way. As I said he was unhappy with the dog all ready the statment "if he was to pee in ring one more time". No I need no hot head but I know what to do now.

Rita Jean

• ug, how awful. I don't understand that at all. even if the handler's only/foremost concern is winning, that is not how you get the best out of a dog.

In happier news, I'm thinking about going out for the Sunflower cluster in Witchita in the spring. Will I get to meet you? Depending on a few things, I may even bring my brindlewonderkid, Digital. Certainly Zest will come with.

• agilebaseni Our Insurance lady just last week was talking to us about Wichita in Spring. We might get to go will stay in touch and let you know as it get's closer. I would love to go.

Rita Jean

• RJ - It's a way fun show. conformation, agility, lure coursing. Just have to decide what to enter. <gg>But it also has the Art Show at the Dogshow. Fabulous stuff there! You'll love it. (I keep thinking one of these days I'll enter a woolie sculpture at the art show.)

Here's stuff from last year (just for added enticement)
    http://www.artshowatthedogshow.com/2009_winners.html</gg>

• The Art is to die for and you should enter one of your woolie's those are really neat. Not everyone has one and I still want one. Have to do a thread on here and ask everyone what would be the best and see what happens look out. Our Ins lady wants us to get Jaycee going in lure coursing her daughter has shown dogs said she would help us I am not sure still thinking.

Keep it up I will be saying long before spring yes we are going. Not really a bad drive for us so more than likely we will be going. We said we were going to try to stay fairly close to home and that's not far.

By way thanks for RJ I grew up with that used RJ all way in school as I got older I went back to what my grandparents always called me Rita Jean the good thing about them using both names I never knew when I was in trouble LOL…

Rita Jean

• Houston

Wow, that art was amazing, beautiful pictures and sculptures…but yes, you've got to enter one of your Woolies, the are exquisite..truly divine..I want one..

• @AJs:

"Many" means different things to different people. Perhaps I should have said "too many" instead. IMO, 1 person treating any animal like this is too many.

I have seen it in kennels and (with horses) at shows away from the ring. Nickels in a sock comes immediately to mind.

If everyone with show animals and kennels were as loving with the animals as we would like them to be, perhaps the "imperfect" ones wouldn't end up in rescue so much.

Well, this is kind of a double edge sword argument. If breeders kept all the dogs they bred regardless of whether they were show quality or not, there wouldn't be any nice quality pets for people who "just want a pet"; and thier homes would be overflowing with too many dogs.

If they place dogs in loving homes so that they can be the center of attention, instead of one of many in the breeders home, they are accused of getting rid of the "imperfect" ones…

Responsible breeders would NEVER place a dog in rescue because it turned out to not be show quality; they find a loving home for the dog where it can be a cherished pet, regardless of show standards.

I can speak as a purchaser of show dogs who has never sent a dog away for turning out not to show quality. We have had four of our seven not turn out for various reasons. One died, one went back to her breeder because she hated all the other dogs here, and two still happily live here 🙂 Some breeders wouldn't make the same choices, but all responsible breeders would make sure the dogs have a happy home either way.

• Don't get me wrong…I wasn't knocking responsible breeders who carefully home their dogs with loving families. I wouldn't expect a kennel to hold every dog they breed. That would get out of hand in a hurry.

My complaint is when folks get dogs solely for show and when the tail grows wrong or something else happens, they get rid of it because it is no longer worth their time, effort or money. Unfortunately for the dog, it usually happens after the animal has an emotional stake in the relationship and then has to start all over again. The dog never understands why they are no longer wanted. That's gotta hurt.

• @vickilb:

Karma is a b**ch sometimes….He'll get his....

Hmmm, let's he gets his soon! 🆒

• @Rita:

Pat while you maybe correct as what I could have done or should have done I was not sure as what to do. My son also seen this ask me if what he did was correct? We talked that over but anyway I was not sure what to do. Do I make someone mad for speaking out we are new at this. I must say it did not feel good to see him treat dog like junk. He was just sitting on his rear end doing nothing. Now all this has been said and I know should I ever see this happen again I will just go to the AKC rep and tell them the number and the dog and let them take care of it.
    I should hope to never see this man again or hope to see nothing again. We did walk around and looked at all people, dogs and everyone was good to there dogs. The man with his whippets was like us they even slept with him. He told us all about them they are his pets as well as his show dogs.
    Enough said I learned something. I do not buy book as not sure I really would need it. Thank you for the imput Pat.

Rita Jean

Here is my opinion…take it or leave it 😉 There are crappy pet owners....just like there are crappy parents. One time I was stressing out over how an aquaintance was parenting. As I was talking to another friend (also a child psychologist) she said "Are the kids healthy, clean, growing, happy enough?"...Yes..."well, some people are crappy parents, but if they are doing those things, the kids will probably turn out okay...you can't make everything perfect for everyone"

This handler had an attitude that you (and I) don't like...but he wasn't abusing his dog, or starving his dog. He was just a jerk. That isn't representative of show people...but there are plenty of people like that in the world. This is a risk that people face when they leave their dog in the care of someone else...so you have to choose carefully.

• @Rita:

Pat when the dog went to put his paw on his leg he kicked his back legs out from under him. Now had he just pushed the dog down with his hand or I can see taking the knee and lightly pushing down ok but not his way. As I said he was unhappy with the dog all ready the statment "if he was to pee in ring one more time". No I need no hot head but I know what to do now.

Rita Jean

That is an old-style dog training technique (for lack of a better word)….

• Whether your showing or not, that is no way to treat any animal! I speak up more, I say something like….are you having a bad day? What did you dog do to make you kick? (hit...whatever)I get dirty looks, maybe a nasty comment but I don't care, just maybe, they will think about what was said and make a change.

• You would be surprised at what you see ringside, outside of the ring area, etc. Many handlers are jerks IMO. But there are many more nice ones as well. If people are seeing what he is doing, it just means he won't get any assignments. And word does get back to the owner sometimes.

• After seeing what everone has had to say on here I can say this much if I cross roads with him again and I see that happen again I know what to do. I also will get his number and look up the owner that little guy needs better than what he got.

Rita Jean

• Houston

And word does get back to the owner sometimes.

I sure hope if I ever have a dog in a show with a handler and not myself, that I will hear about it from other contestants..that is just plain right thing to do..IMO.

Suggested Topics