• For the record, Ms. Vicki, I agree with you. I think the original questioner was asking out of curiosity as to the bitch's show history more than anything else.

I can understand that. I adopted a senior horse when I was young…he was 30 years old when I got him. After a little research, it was found out he was the last son of the Raffles line of Arabians. He showed in his prime, but retired with me. It was pure curiosity on everyone's part to find his history.

• @khanis:

I'd like to correct this statement in that there have been ONLY TWO basenjis that have tested as carriers but were actually affected.
    I am not sure the status of the first bitch.
    Our bitch passed away two weeks ago and kidney samples were sent to Dr. Johnson. All fingers and toes crossed that "Funny" was the answer to everything he needs to get the direct test. Along with new specialized equipment, I have many good thoughts on his research. It is very promising thus far!!

With this in mind, ALL CARRIERS NEED TO BE STRIP-TESTED, if they were from a breeding that could have also produced affecteds.
    Obviously, a Clear x Carrier breeding could not produce an affected, so that point is moot.
    But, if the Carrier is from a Carrier x Carrier or Carrier x Affected breeding, they should still be strip-tested in the off-chance that they too could be affected.
    Until the direct test is found, we have to go on what they give us, and just keep checking our dogs regularly.

I wasn't actually referring to dogs that are affected, but indentified as carriers. I was remember a discussion that occurred very early on in the testing, that some carriers may have some 'bleed thru' of the 'guilty' gene, and spill sugar very late in life. And Dr. Johnson wasn't sure if it was due to regular old age kidney changes, or some sort of genetic explanation. It is very possible that that is very old information, and no longer accurate…but it wasn't the case of inaccurate testing at all.

Good information about testing carriers monthly, though. I didn't realize that, and I haven't been doing it...guess I need to start again..

• @Vicki:

My point is, if a person wants to adopt a Basenji (or any dog), sometimes we have to take some bad with the good. The senior needs a home. I love my dogs, and I don't care what kind of health issues they have when I decide to adopt - they need to go somewhere, don't they? Once the dog is living with me, I address health issues with my vet. I'm not taking anyone's word for a dog's health.

But that is your choice, not everyone can or is willing to do that… and want to know more about the dog... and as pointed out, the foster will keep her if there is no suitable placement for her.

Not everyone if a serious condition is present can afford the Vet care, so is it not better to try and find out all you can, then to take a dog only to find out once you have him/her that you can't afford necessary treatment?

I find nothing wrong with try to find out up front as much as possible.

• Just read on another Yahoo list that the breeder of this girl has been found and advised of the situation. She (the breeder) will be getting in touch with the foster that has this girl.

• I just read the same thing.
    I am really glad her breeder knows the situation and is getting in touch with them.

-Nicole

• I withdrew my application.

• So, we have been talking with Linda, and she says she is willing to give us a trial with Aries. We will have to see how Aries gets along with our Katie and our cats, but I am so excited I could bounce through the ceiling!
    I may end up with a Jerlin dog!!! I know she is retired, but still, she is amazing.
    I am so crazy in love with her already, just from pictures and stories. I feel like my face might crack I am grinning so hard!

-Nicole

• Houston

Nicole how exciting..When, oh when do you get her? Tell us more please..

• nkjvcjs-
    Hey, do you know her pedigree or reg name? Aries sound familiar. Wanted to see how she was related to my kids.

• @agilebasenji:

nkjvcjs-
    Hey, do you know her pedigree or reg name? Aries sound familiar. Wanted to see how she was related to my kids.

Yes. She is Ch. Jerlin's Airborne. She is a Patton daughter.
    Who are you kidz?

-Nicole

• I figured Airborne, but wasn't quite sure. She's put some nice pups on the ground. I encounter her grandchildren when I travel east to show Zest this year. All my pups are Patton grandchildren.

Digital - Idlewild-Jerlin's Digital
    Jet - Jerlin's Saint or Sinner
    Zest - Makalika-Jerlin Cherry Pop

That's so sad that Aries lost her home, but I'm happy to hear you may get her and be able to spoil her. My pups have wonderful temperaments. And hold their age well. Diggie is going to turn 13 next month; Jet will be 12 the end of the month. Neither look thier age.

• Hope everything works out well for you and Aries

• Please keep us posted on how things are going. My mom and I volunteered to help with transporting Aries. If you need our help just ask.

• This has been a long journey.

We have Aries booked on a Pet Airways flight for December 26th.

We will be doing a trial with her here to see how she fits with our family, and will adopt her if she fits in. I am sure she is going to fit in.

I can't wait! The flight gets in at 11:30 pm, and my Mom is coming with us to pick her up because she wants to meet her new grand-dog.

I told Linda that if she is settling in here well enough, I want to take her with me to CO for the national, just for company since I was so sad not having a dog with me at this year's national, and Linda suggested I enter her in Veterans! She said if I wasn't comfortable in the ring, she would be willing to handle her. That is so exciting for me!

-Nicole

• @nkjvcjs:

This has been a long journey.

We will be doing a trial with her here to see how she fits with our family, and will adopt her if she fits in. I am sure she is going to fit in.

I can't wait! The flight gets in at 11:30 pm, and my Mom is coming with us to pick her up because she wants to meet her new grand-dog.

I told Linda that if she is settling in here well enough, I want to take her with me to CO for the national, just for company since I was so sad not having a dog with me at this year's national, and Linda suggested I enter her in Veterans! She said if I wasn't comfortable in the ring, she would be willing to handle her. That is so exciting for me!

-Nicole

How exciting for you and for Aries too… hope that it is a match made in heaven!!!

• Houston

Nicole, I am so happy to read that things are moving along with her..can't wait to hear all about it..please keep us posted.. you are both very lucky..

• Great news Nicole,
    hope Aries settles well into your family

• Oh, show in vets. i'm thinking i'll enter the boyz.

see you there! i just know Aries will love being at you home and fit right in.

• So happy for the both of you and I know this will be great for all of you. Keep us up to date please.

Rita Jean

• @nkjvcjs:

This has been a long journey.

-Nicole

So cool! I guess I'll have to wait to the snow thaws to meet her. And you can do sweepstakes at the GCBC and BCOSW specialies to warm you up for Nationals! 😉 I'm sure you can handle it. Aries will probably do all the work for you. :rolleyes:

Suggested Topics