Looking for a breeder near SW Wisconsin

• We recently lost our Basenji to a terrible accident, and would like to fille the void a small bit this spring with a new puppy. Unfortunately, the only breeder I can find near me in Wisconsin and surrounding areas is Hestekin (which is actually where I got my first Basenji before I was educated). Can someone please help? I'm willing to travel 2-3 hours if needed.

• I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your lost B will never be replaced, but it's great you want to love another. Have you considered a BRAT baby? There have been a lot of homeless Basenji showing up lately.

• Yes, I have filled out the application, but for my area, there are currently no rescues available. Which, from the standpoint of the breed is a very good thing!

• Have you looked at the BCOSW's breeder directory?

http://www.bcosw.org/breeder.html

There is also the BCOA breeder directory.

http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

• The BCOSW is having a club meeting during the Chicagoland Hound Specialty on November 14th in Wauconda, IL. It's practically right across the border. We haven't set the time yet, but it will probably be in the afternoon as we have a 1:00 ring time, so people will be there around then too. You can meet some of the breeders in person there and they should be able to help you find someone who is having puppies.

Here is the information on the show site.
    http://www.royjonesdogshows.com/JudgingPrograms/ChicagoHounds/ChicagolandHoundsJP.htm

• WI and IL have a lot of very friendly breeders. The BCOSW is a nice organization, and very active.
    I will be at the Chicagoland Hound Specialty Show too, just watching, definitley on the 14th, and maybe both days.
    We would love to meet you.

• lvoss:

I have checked BCOSW, but only 3 breeders are listed in Wisconsin. I have emailed all of them, but not heard anything back from them.

One of the same breeders is the only one listed on the BCOA site as well. Again, I've heard nothing back from her 😞 I must live in a horrible place for Basenjis…

• I would say most of the active breeders in the area right at the moment are either in Illinois or Minnesota. A number of the WI people on the breeder list are not actively breeding at the moment to my knowledge. Even a number of the Illinois people are not having litters this year. Who did you contact?

• @dorvaan:

lvoss:

I have checked BCOSW, but only 3 breeders are listed in Wisconsin. I have emailed all of them, but not heard anything back from them.

One of the same breeders is the only one listed on the BCOA site as well. Again, I've heard nothing back from her 😞 I must live in a horrible place for Basenjis…

No, don't give up hope…You live in a wonderful place for Basenjis! Speaking as a breeder, it sometimes takes some time to get back to people looking for puppies. We try to get back as soon as we can, even if it is just to say 'I am not breeding any puppies this year'...but life gets in the way sometimes. If it has been more than a few days, definitely send another email!

• You might try Sally Wuornos (Sonbar Basenjis) and Carrie Jones (Ankhu Basenjis) in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.
    There used to be a breeder in Hudson WI but I don't know her name (Nancy something) or if she still has a kennel.
    There are some basenji people in SE WI and the Basenji Club there has reputable breeders and some rescue animals: http://www.bcosw.org/

• Sal is breeding this year (or has already bred), Carrie is not this year. And I think you are thinking of Nancy Craigie, she is still breeding (she is also in Minnesota, Kennel name Flutesong)

• And sometimes you do have to travel a bit …. to find the right breeder for you...

• Houston

..and even though there are now dogs available on Brat for your state, they will, if you're approved and all that good stuff, transport a dog from other states..

Good luck in finding a new family friend and member, again I am so sorry for your loss.

• The other thing I would add is that sometimes people aren't great at responding to email. If you have phone numbers for breeders, I would make a phone call or two.

• I have two things, first, there are oftentimes dogs that come to BRAT and never make it to website. BRAT coordinators are thinking about the homes interested in a dog, while the dog is still being 'processed' by the system (assessment, neutering, etc.) and will contact those interested while the process is still going on. Also, I know for certain there are several dogs available in Illinois, that could be gotten to you, if you have an interest in them, and are approved by BRAT. There are two nice males on the website, and I think there are a couple dogs not yet on the website. There is also a male in Michigan who looks very nice, I would be willing to bet volunteers could transport him part way to you if you were approved for him.

Don't give up on BRAT just because you don't see a dog in your area, look at all the dogs, and remember there are more than you see on the website.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of support and good information here.

Miranda

• The nice thing about BRAT and quality breeders is that once you get a dog from them, you have their support for the life of the b.
    Its really a nice backup to have.

• @Nemo:

The BCOSW is having a club meeting during the Chicagoland Hound Specialty on November 14th in Wauconda, IL. It's practically right across the border. We haven't set the time yet, but it will probably be in the afternoon as we have a 1:00 ring time, so people will be there around then too. You can meet some of the breeders in person there and they should be able to help you find someone who is having puppies.

Here is the information on the show site.
    http://www.royjonesdogshows.com/JudgingPrograms/ChicagoHounds/ChicagolandHoundsJP.htm

Just an update to my previous post. Here is the info regarding the BCOSW meeting time at the hound show.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2009

OAKVIEW PET RESORT
    27645 Case Road,
    WAUCONDA, IL 60084

ROUTES TO SHOW
    FROM NORTH OR SOUTH-Take Route 41 or I-294 to Route 120West to Route 12 South, 2 1/2Miles to Case Road. West to Site.

FROM SOUTHWEST-Route 53 North to Route 12 North to Case Road

We will meet at Ring 2 by 11 am. Meeting will follow basenji judging.

Also, I found out Wanda is planning some litters but I do not know the timing. If you have not already, you can find contact information at the following website.

http://www.adventurelandbasenjis.com/

• Wanda is planning two litters, they (the bitches) were just bred or are being bred now, so she will be expecting maybe end of December, more likely January.

Suggested Topics