• Great pics ComicDom1!

• @Basenjimamma:

Jason and Miranda.
    I love the pictures of Roo, I especially love the last one of him on the sailboat, with the waves splashing in the background, really cool, it is so far from what my B likes..being so close to water I mean.
    Does he like the water?

He doesn't mind the water all that much. I would not go so far as to say it is his favorite thing, but he doesn't mind the spray from the waves when he is sailing with us, and likes to stand up on deck like in the pics (for a while.) When he gets tired of that, there is a little space (very little) below the deck, where he lies down (generally on an extra flotation cushion.) He does swim in the heat of the summer, if we are getting in the water. We have a few photos of that, but since Jason was in the water with him, I took the photos and they are not up to his quality at ALL.

One of the great things is that when he is swimming, if you call him, he will turn around and come to you. We thought this was very very important in case we ever capsized, so we worked with him on it for some time.

I don't think Basenjis and water have to be natural enemies. Roo is comfortable walking in the rain as long as something covers his back (we have a variety of coats and jackets for him) and he will splash bravely through puddles both on walks and at the dog park, although when at the dog park he avoids the deepest puddles, and runs around them instead.

It is fun to watch the other dogs roll around in the mud and then smartly say "well, you'll never see a Basenji doing THAT!" And when we are done having time at the park, we don't need to use the wash station like other dog owners, we just pop him in his crate and head for home! We have become 'clean dog snobs!"

Miranda

• Houston

You are so right, Miranda..that is one of many perks with being a b-owner, they don't get as dirty as most other dogs, I love that..especially when it is muddy and wet out..thank goodness they(or Otis for sure) don't like water the way labs or retrivers do..

• I'm getting out of this conversation. Don't want to get yelled at again for friendly teasing. Ciao.

• @AJs:

I'm getting out of this conversation. Don't want to get yelled at again for friendly teasing. Ciao.

AJs Human, who was yelling at you. I read though the thread and did not see it. Can you help me out here? I really was hoping the conversation would get around to talking about some of the things we both had a common interest in like cameras and trucks. I still would like to know what it is like to be an over the road driver in this day and time, and find out how many miles someone has to actually drive to make a living. It would certainly give more insight to the requirements of the travel that you and AJ go through. I do not want to get yelled at for friendly teasing either.

Jason

Suggested Topics