• Thanks for the link Aggie! It's such an awesome menu that it puts us to shame. It is some years since we used to collect raw tripes from the abbatoir & cut them up & freeze them for our Danes. They were never healthier.

• mramsay,Thank you for the explanation on Hyperparathyroidism. I can't say I've ever come across it but have heard of a basenji or two with thyroid problems but did not have details, only some symptoms.

I'm praying for Bing and hope it can always be controlled.

• just a thought have you always had his jabs every year?

• No! Too many of our dog-showing friends have advised against it because of adverse reactions experienced.

• Just heard from Dr Dodds and she says we should carry on as we are since it seems to be working well. She discounts Fanconi as a possibility so we're more upbeat about his chances now.

Certainly, each day he becomes more Basenji-like!!!

• Houston

Good to hear that he is doing better and that DR Dodd seem to think that you have found what works..
    Feel better Bing..

• im glad to hear that he is doing better ,iv looked at his reatives and no he is not closely bred to my girl but at least now you are on top of it im keeping my fingers crossed for him.

• Thanks! It's great seeing glimpses of the old Bing returning…

• I own Bing's brother and he has hypothyroid problem with is controled now for the past year but never encountered any seizure problem.
    You should still DNA test Bing for Fanconi as Thorn came back as an affected.

• I read a very interesting article today about the benefits of vitamin D. It is now believed to have the most amazing benefits if taken in sufficient quantity (which happens to be about twice Govt recommended levels). Among other things it is extremely effective against auto-immune disease, MS, osteoporosis and even certain cancers. The article was in reference to humans, not dogs, but it didn't take us long to extend the logic to our little Bing's problem. This may explain the considerable improvement in him these last few days.

• mramsay - I'm so glad that Bing is continuing to improve.

From Seko's comments it seems that there could be an inherited problem. I wasn't aware that either of these are genetic. Do you have any other information?

I'm assuming I know Bing's father who was shown for a while and looked a very nice dog - at that time I wasn't aware of problems (at least his owner didn't mention it) but he did come from very mixed lines.

Incidentally, I'm pleased to read that you've been made aware of adverse reactions to yearly jabs. Do you use nosodes?

• Um. No! What are they?

• PS His owner being in Herefordshire… We know her because of Morgan Horses.

• I am not realy aware of any probs with yearly jabs, we have always had our dogs done each year. Please can someone enlighten me and Helena what are nosodes please

• This is one website I've found which explains what they are. I prefer aloe vera gel which stimulates the immune system (among many other things!).

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:u2WemvWfKkUJ:www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/nosodes.htm+%22nosodes%22&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

• Thanks for the link to the website Mike, i'd never heard of nosodes.
    Probably when we get our pup we will go for conventional vaccinations, after all i had my kids jabbed after weighing up the pros and cons.
    Hope Bing continues to do well

• We haven't jabbed our dogs for years. Those in the initial few years have a longer effective life than we're told, I think.

We are also firm advocates of aloe vera which we have proved the value of to our animals (dogs & horses) - no placebo effect for them! - over some years as well as to ourselves.

Yes, thank you, Bing continues to do well - no seizures for nearly two weeks - and, at last, signs he is putting on weight, as we had to reloosen his collar after progressively tightening it in months gone by as the weight fell off him!

• Hi there is a very good book written by Cathrine O'Driscoll called Who killed the darling buds of may i suggest everyone reads it or goes to www.canine-health-concern.org.uk it explaines much better than i can but i have not had my dogs vacinated either .

• Will have to look into this further. I too have heard good things about Aloe Vera and will research it.Thanks for all the info, it's certainly food for thought.

• Let me just add some more info on AV then. The reason it is so successful & versatile is that it contains over 70 separate nutrients and is:

anti-toxin
    anti-inflammatory
    boosts the immune system
    improves the take-up of nutrients from food
    promotes/accelerates healing of wounds (internal & external use)
    improves the efficient transfer of 'messages' via the nervous system

I can't claim these to be proven but we have achieved results in all these uses, consistent with the above hypotheses!

My horse was restored to full health because the AV hit him in 3 ways:

• it removed the toxins in his blood caused by the breakdown of his liver
    • it promoted the regeneration of his liver (the only organ, I think, which can be regenerated)
    • it enhanced the take-up of nutrients, enabling him to rebuild condition relatively quickly

We also successfully restored the use of our then 10 year-old Great Dane's back legs after she went off them, being unable to run or walk up steps. I proved to myself it was the AV because when I took her off it her legs went again within 24 hours and when put back on it they worked again in the same timescale. I kept her on it for the rest of her life: we finally lost her at 11+1/4, a good age for a Dane. It was my vet, not a particular enthusiast for AV, who explained it was probably improving the neurological 'message flow' from her brain to her hind legs.

We also use AV Gelly (a clear ointment) which we are convinced heals wounds faster than anything else available. This has proved especially valuable for the horses who, as all horse owners know, are forever bumping into things or scraping themselves on fences & hedges.

It sounds as though I'm trying to sell the stuff but I am not - just passing on what we have learned over the last 11 years!

We currently take it ourselves to keep away long established aches and pains from riding falls over the years and to keep bugs at bay - eg swine flu right now - even if it doesn't prevent us getting it, I know the outcome would be less severe. We increase the dose at the first sign of a cold & usually prevent it taking hold. Amazing stuff? A miracle substance? Yes, we think so!

PS we first came across it on a beach in Barbados in 1995 when slices of the AV leaves were being sold by locals to relieve sunburn (you just rubbed the slice on the affected place). And yes, despite our initial suspicions it worked…

Suggested Topics