• Petra, glad Otis is feeling a little better, hope he continues to improve.
    I used to use a blob of butter to medicate Benji, i know not too good for him but i had to weigh it up.It was impossible to force them down him, he4 was a very snarky boy.
    Keep us posted

• Houston

He slept like a baby, I was convinced we had to go out a lot during the night, because of the diarrhea earlier in the day and night.
    We just went outside and he peed for what seemed like forever..thanks for the homemade pedialyte..I really believe that is what perked him up finally. I am going to give him some food here in a little while and once my vets office opens up I will call and ask the questions regarding bloodwork and xray.
    I was a little surprised myself about the xray, but being that he was so woosy and the kids were fighting, I just wanted to come home with him again..

• Hope Otis improves today get's back to his old self. Take care.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Thanks Rita. he has perked up a lot since yesterday. I will updat eif things change.

• Houston

Otis is feeling much better. He has eaten three small meals throughout the day and have had no isseus with the food, bland though.
    I did speak to my vet and he is really thinking this is just a bacterial infection in his intestines, and that he does not have any blockage..He wants me to keep on looking after Otis until two days have past, before we move on with more investigative procedures..one day down, one more to go.
    I was concerned when I spoke to the vet, because he had not had any bowel movements, he still haven't, and the vet basically told me that Otis has nothing left in his intestines to get out..he needs to eat a few meals before we can expect for it to come through, unless he has diarrhea, then it goes straight through..so far neither has happened. He is very playful in between long naps. He has started stealing, or should I say trying to steal food again, so I think he is feeling much better.
    I am so glad I googled homemade pedialyte, I think that did wonders for him..

To all of y'all, thank you so much for your thoughts and inputs..without y'all I would be lost in the wild world of Basenjis..

• Way to go Otis so happy your getting better.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Today has been a normal good day for Otis. He is very playful and rambunctious as usual, he is the king of thieves so he is back to normal there too, and we went for a walk not too long ago and we had…normal poop..yeah. I never thought I'd see the day when normal poop makes me go yeah!!, but here we are.!!
    Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on all this stomachy stuff. I will go out and get heavyduty trashcans for my three bathrooms so we will not have any issues with trash digging again..

• Congrats. Glad to hear Otis is doing well. He's back to being that Brindle beast that he is… 😃

• Yaaay congratulations on your poop Otis 😃
    Seriously Petra i am pleased he is getting better

• Glad Otis is better.
    My second beastie was a trash diver and I finally bought one of those bathroom cans that open only when you step on the lever. It works well for me.

• Houston

Wizard,
    That is exactly the type of trash can I want to find. Thanks for telling me that you have one and your smart b's are leaving it alone..
    Yes Otis is much better, I am still giving him his meds per the vet and the bland foods, so his poor botttom has a break, and he is bored with the food let me tell you..but in desperate times..ha ha.

• Don't know how tall Otis is, but be aware that they can still figure out the step on cans - especially if 2 of them work together! We have 2 that figured out if one stepped on the lever, the top would open and the other one could drag stuff out or even tip over the whole can! Aaah, Basenjis, too bad Coren thinks they aren't smart, LOL

Terry

• Houston

ok, so that made me laugh..I bet it is a sight to be seen when they team work like that..Otis is tall, 17+ in his shoulders, and he is trying to figure out our step butterfly opening trash can in the kitchen..scary.

• You could always try a little tee tree oil or vicks vapo rub around the rim to keep him away.

• Houston

That would probably work, because he hates the smell of tea tree oil..I will try that.
    So far he has not even paid attention to the trash cans, but our new foster Dotty, she is a pain, she even came running through the house last night with the trash can lid stuck around her neck…darn dog..

• I told you before how Ashley has gotten Jaycee to leave all of our trash cans alone. Ashley chased Jaycee through house like it was after her it was funny and Jaycee did not get hurt in any way. She did not want that trash can to touch her then she took the can back to kitcken and waited Jaycee went in looked at can and Ashley just took her foot and kind of moved it Jaycee was like no that thing moves. Then Ashley was taking big trash cans out by road for trash day we had Jaycee out on leash was like o no thoses are the parents got to get into house right now they also move. Trash can story over.

Rita Jean

• I am just seeing this thread and so glad Otis is OK! You feel so helpless when your pup is sick and you don't know what to do.

We have a small metal trash in the bathroom with a lid and a step-on pedal. My Nicky just raises the lid with her little nosey-nose and steals tissues! I always took 'female things' directly outside to the big trash can!

• Houston

Macpack, that is exactly what I will be doing from here on out, even though I got a new fancy trash can. Who knows, he might not have gotten so sick from trash digging, but I am not willing to take another chance..
    Yes helpless is definitely how you feel.. but he is all well, still on antibotic and bland foods, but I am slowly introducing his normal diet, and I bought some probiotics and digestive enzymzes for him to take as well..any thing for a healthy gut..lol

Suggested Topics