• Do Basenji's have more precise vision from a distance than they do up close?

Do Basenji's see better during the day vs night or dusk?

Thanks
    Jason

• Ha. My b's can SEE/SMELL/HEAR any critter anytime. Night chasing scares me as there are skunks abound right now. lol
    I have found I have become a very GOOD horizon scanner… If I see the critter first, I am ready for the CHASE that is sure to come, soon. 🙂
    Never a dull moment. (i find myself yelling at the stupid squirrels to get in a tree, already/sometimes they torture me with a 3 block run to find the right tree. )

• The reason I asked the question is because I read a general article in regard to color and range of vision that dogs have. There seems to be some controversy in regard to near or far sighted conditions in dogs. One thing that most agreed to is that dogs have a wider field of vision that a human but also sees less color and suggest that a dogs vision is about 20 degrees off. So being a photographer, I would think that like a camera lens, that 20 degrees would certainly affect a dog depending on the distance to the object they are looking at.

I did not look at articles for a long time but I did see it suggested that there may be some differences from breed to breed. I also did not see any information that was specifically related to hounds.

Miranda and I did discover that there are two different type of PRA. Early onset that effects the dogs before the age of 2 and late onset affects the dogs between 4 and 6 years old. These are both genetic. The dog gradually goes blind and there is no treatment for this. It is painless for the dog and most go on to live long happy lives without their sight.

Jason and Miranda

• @ComicDom1:

The reason I asked the question is because I read a general article in regard to color and range of vision that dogs have. There seems to be some controversy in regard to near or far sighted conditions in dogs. One thing that most agreed to is that dogs have a wider field of vision that a human but also sees less color and suggest that a dogs vision is about 20 degrees off. So being a photographer, I would think that like a camera lens, that 20 degrees would certainly affect a dog depending on the distance to the object they are looking at.

I did not look at articles for a long time but I did see it suggested that there may be some differences from breed to breed. I also did not see any information that was specifically related to hounds.

Miranda and I did discover that there are two different type of PRA. Early onset that effects the dogs before the age of 2 and late onset affects the dogs between 4 and 6 years old. These are both genetic. The dog gradually goes blind and there is no treatment for this. It is painless for the dog and most go on to live long happy lives without their sight.

Jason and Miranda

And Basenji are in the "late" onset group. Sometimes as late as even 9 or 10… first clue usually to PRA is not being able to see at night...... There are a couple of breeds that they have DNA test for PRA, however not yet for the type Basenjis get. It is on the BCOA list of genetic tests we would like to see worked on......
    Again, this is way it is important to have your B's eyes checked by a board certified Ophthalmolgist and one that is familar with Basenjis.

Suggested Topics