• I need a vet in the grapevine, southlake, keller area…..thanks!

• Hummm, I have a vet in the Heights, that I adore, so do my B's, I know humans that drive from Conroe to see him, his father is also a vet. Dr.. Clint Duncan, 7138649700

• Florida requires rabies shots - our separate counties differ on how often - here we need to have them once a year, whereas in the next county over, it's once every three years…..

• The corona vaccine is one of the vaccines that is not recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association.

This what Dr. Ronald Schultz has to say about it: To date no one has demonstrated a benefit for coronavirus vaccine. In the vaccination guidelines from the American Animal Hospital Association, neither Giardia nor Coronavirus vaccines are recommended unless they can be proven to be beneficial for a specific animal. http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007Conf/What%20Everyone%20Needs%20to%20Know%20About%20Canine%20Vaccines.htm

• I'm also in Europe atm so have to vaccinate for rabies to travel about. My gal's only 4months and had her rabies with her final puppy vaccinations. She cried like a little pig for about 10mins and was sensitive in the area for 24hrs. She also slept for most of the next day. My vet said this was normal as it's an uncomfortable vacine. I have a friend who had it too and she said it hurt like a bitch! But the benefits faaar outweigh a little discomfort I think.

• Oklahoma requires it yearly .. with Sandie she gets a lump bout the size of a nickle .. the vet adds something to the shot thats supossed to help that not happen. Her first puppy shot the lump stayed for a long time … but since the additive it last now a few weeks.

• I think that OK is different depending on counties? Isn't it? OK City changed to 3yr

• @Sunny:

Oklahoma requires it yearly .. with Sandie she gets a lump bout the size of a nickle .. the vet adds something to the shot thats supossed to help that not happen. Her first puppy shot the lump stayed for a long time … but since the additive it last now a few weeks.

Sunny, Oklahoma law (see below) allows for a 3 year rabies vaccine, but also allows municipalities to impose more frequent boosters. Have you checked your odinances to make sure they actually do require annual rabies vaccinations? What county/city do you live in?

OKLAHOMA Rabies Law http://www.oar.state.ok.us/viewhtml/310_599-3-9.1.htm
    Title 310 Chapter 599 Subchapter 3 – Rabies Control
    310:599-3-9.1. Required immunization of dogs, cats, and ferrets
    (a) The owner or custodian of a domestic dog, cat, or ferret shall cause the animal to be vaccinated against rabies by the time the animal is four months of age and at regular intervals thereafter according to the label directions of an approved rabies vaccine for use in that species, or as prescribed by ordinances or rules adopted by a municipality within whose jurisdiction the animal owner resides.
    (b) A veterinarian who administers or supervises the rabies vaccination of a dog, cat, or ferret shall issue to the animal's owner/custodian a vaccination certificate that meets the minimum standards set forth in OAC 310:599-3-7. Animal identification including, but not limited to species, gender, age, and predominant breed and coloring must be indicated on the vaccination certificate.

• @sallred:

I absolutely vaccinate my dog (and cat) against rabies, as we currently live in an area where people still die regularly of rabies and most dogs (or any other animal) are not vaccinated….

You certainly can't be living in the United States. Over the 16 years from 1995 through 2011, there were 49 human rabies cases (averaging 3.0625 per year) in the United States. With approximately 314 million people, 3.0625 cases of human rabies per year is extremely rare, and data from the Centers for Disease Control indicate that none of those cases since 1995 were contracted by a dog or cat in the United States.

Center for Disease Control Cases of Rabies in Human Beings in the United States, by Circumstances of Exposure and Rabies Virus Variant, 1995-2011 http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

Of the 49 human cases of rabies reported from 1995 through 2011, not one case was contracted from a dog or cat in the United States. 35 bats, 1 fox, 1 racoon, 1 mongoose

• I believe Benin is in West Africa. Rabies is endemic in Africa.

• @eeeefarm:

I believe Benin is in West Africa. Rabies is endemic in Africa.

Yes, I thought you must live outside the U.S. We at The Rabies Challenge Fund believe that all healthy dogs and cats should be vaccinated against rabies.

Suggested Topics