• The following "Ten Commandments for Dog Owners" were written from the perspective of a dog, and provide some good guidelines about your duties to your "best friend."

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you get me.
    2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
    3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial to my well-being.
    4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.
    5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.
    6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
    7. Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don't want to do that.
    8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. I don't speak your language. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
    9. Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too. You'll hope someone cares.
    10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch," or "let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

• So true, it brought a lump to my throat.In an ideal world Everyone would read and think about this seriously before getting a Dog or any other pet.

• Made my eyes well up.

I promise my dogs they will never suffer. When I had to put my 16 year old, Congo, down. I did it with a smile and held him and told him he would have a young body again and that there were lots of bunnies to chase in "puppy heaven".

I know people who shouldn't own any animals, ever. Luckily, I am not one of them. I have come to the realization that I will always own dogs. They are just who I am and I am lonely without them.

Thanks for the "10 Commandments". They are true.

Suggested Topics