• My spouse and I slept in a little and my Shango, 9 months old, didn't hold his poop, which happened to be unformed, loose, and really a big stink….he has had this off and on for a few weeks, at first I thought it was the toad chasing, Spent a good deal on a vet bill, and the first words out of the dr's mouth was , this could take a long time.....not a good sign. He has no parisites, he is very active, playful , his eyes look good.

He was a rescue dog, I don't know his paretns, his brother ( who I also have) is fine.

They are both on Wellness puppy food and I treat them for training purpose which is a cheese flavor cookie thing called Woof. They seem to like it.

Any suggestions, he does sneek in on my older basenji food if I don't watch out and gets a mouth full, could that be it?

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
    Right now I will tell you, I know a doggie door would be great but I'm in a rent house and my landlord would not like that.

Let me know,

• @CrazyBasenjiMom:

My spouse and I slept in a little and my Shango, 9 months old, didn't hold his poop, which happened to be unformed, loose, and really a big stink….he has had this off and on for a few weeks, at first I thought it was the toad chasing, Spent a good deal on a vet bill, and the first words out of the dr's mouth was , this could take a long time.....not a good sign. He has no parisites, he is very active, playful , his eyes look good.

He was a rescue dog, I don't know his paretns, his brother ( who I also have) is fine.

They are both on Wellness puppy food and I treat them for training purpose which is a cheese flavor cookie thing called Woof. They seem to like it.

Any suggestions, he does sneek in on my older basenji food if I don't watch out and gets a mouth full, could that be it?

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
    Right now I will tell you, I know a doggie door would be great but I'm in a rent house and my landlord would not like that.

Let me know,

While this is probably a good food, Miranda noticed it does have rice, barley, and rye in the formula. All of those are grains.

I noticed that the protein is 28 percent in this food. I did not see where you mentioned how long you had this rescue dog. I do know from the advice I have sought from others and from experience that if you have transitioned this dog too quickly from the previous food it was on to a new food that it can cause this type of condition. This is esp true if the new is much higher in protein and has much higher quality protein sources than the previous food.

When our Basenji was a puppy we had a similar experience when we switched to a very high quality very high protein food. The dog's gas was very offensive. The smell from the stool was even worse and the smell would travel across the yard, under the porch, even if the wind was blowing in the other direction. At that point I contacted the person I buy food from who has a Master's Degree in Animal nutrition from the University of Illinois in Champaign Urbana. We concluded there were two things we needed to deal with. One was a soft stool and the other was the offensive smell.

At the time we were feeding Roo and our Boston Bonzo EVO Chicken grainless dog food. After much discussion we decided that we might switch to the Evo Beef based just in case the chicken did not agree with Roo. We chose the Evo Beef because we wanted to maintain the protein levels if at all possible. Previous to changing to EVO grainless food we had been feeding Eukanuba puppy food which is also high in protein but not as high in protein as the EVO food and it is chicken based. Roo did not seem to have an issue with the Eukanuba so we decided to supplement with the Eukanuba we had left and see if it resolved the odor and soft stool issue.

While it took a couple days for us to see results, we noticed that the problem was subsiding. We finally went to straight EVO Red Meat but that made Bonzo's our Bostons stool soft and smelly. Let me tell you, there is no gas like Boston Gas! Just feed them some Broccoli and prepare to stand back. That is why it is said that people who own bull dogs really love them. Its not just because its a face only a mother can love.

To counteract and supplement the high Protein levels in the EVO Red Meat we now mix EVO Red Meat with Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula which is grainless and Salmon based. Combined we feed a protein level of about 33 1/2 instead a level 42% which is EVO Red Meat by itself.

I also know that its possible that your young Basenji's digestives system might be having a harder time with the higher quality food. If this puppy was on a very inexpensive food then most likely it was not getting all the nutrients it needed.

Miranda and I along with Mark the animal nutritionist we consulted are of the belief that sometimes its just about finding the right combination of proteins and ingredients that your dog can tolerate.
    Hope this helps,

Jason and Miranda

• Welcome to MY WORLD. My B's do this off and on all the time. Not really any rhyme or reason…. they just get Loose POO every once in a while( 2-3 days a month, maybe) I can usually tell when it is coming on.. sometimes right after I dose them for flea/tick med. , sometimes just out of the blue.... So we bought a pet steam carpet cleaner... lots of febreeze, and an oxy carpet cleaner spray and i NEVER RUN out. 🙂
    I feed them the same food(diamond lamb and rice) with a spoon of peanut butter and a spoon of raw pumpkin for breakfast and just plain food for supper. If they need a treat they get chewlotta maybe once a week. I by bottled drinking water as we thought maybe our hard water was causing it.
    If/when they get loose I give them an imodium tablet every 6 hours until it is firm again. it REALLY helps. a lot.

• Thank you, I have had the "boys" since July 3rd, no history of what they ate, they were both in very poop condition. mange, skin allergeries, no shots , no names, scared to death of everything….who could not love em. Hummm, too much protein....This breed is like a science project..... Thanks for the advice.

• Man, I need to type slower and re read my replys, my spelling is horrible. I will try the imodeime….(sp)

Thanks again all,

• I'm lucky, The B's sleep in the kitchen and we have hardwood floors throughtout the house, so the clean up is not as bad as if it were carpet. I gratefull for patcouli incense, and lemon-vingar floor clearner.

• @CrazyBasenjiMom:

Man, I need to type slower and re read my replys, my spelling is horrible. I will try the imodeime….(sp)

Thanks again all,

At this point I would avoid the immodium. Why complicate things. The dogs digestive system will straighten itself out if it is given a chance. Sometimes even in the numbers look the same in regard to proteins on the food label its a combination of ingredients they use to accomplish the protein levels that may not agree with your dog. Try mixing in a lower protein quality food with your Wellness food and see if the stools start to solidify. You should notice something within a week.

Jason

• I would avoid giving any dog immodium. When a dog has a loose stool, their bodies are trying to get rid of something. If you give immodium, the system cannot get whatever is bothering it out. Tinkering with the food issues is time consuming. But it is better for the animal overall, and will lead you to a conclusion, instead of just masking a symptom. Immodium is a band-aid solution. If the situation was dire, and constant, only then would I consider using it. I used to work for a veterinarian, and never did we recommend using any medication to stop loose stools unless we knew what was causing it, then we treated that problem.

If you have constant problems, you can with hold all food and water for 24 hours, and re-introduce boiled chicken and rice or boiled ground beef and rice in small quantities, over the period of a few days. After a few days, when you have seen solid stools reappear, you go back to small quantities of dog food and see how that goes.

It doesn't sound like that is the case with your guy though, so I would continue to investigate the food situation, trying different sources and levels of protein.

• I have to agree with Eski about not using the Immodium and was told as much by my vet. It doesn't let the dog get whatever it is trying to get rid of out of it's system. It could be either food related or something like giardia. Sometimes giardia symptoms come and go. Has the vet consider the possibility of that?

• Thera-zyme Irb L1 to L3

http://www.enzymeformulations.com/store/detail.asp?class=thera-zyme&ID=21

My Shep has had a problem since I rescued her. These herbs help. Without them, she has problems holding pooh. Kira takes these every day and has for several years. Without them, she has accidents.

The product is not sold commercially, but I've found a distributor who will send the herbs. My vet prescribed the herbs, but I can buy them cheaper on-line.
    http://www.longnaturalhealth.com/products.asp

The product is human grade.

If you are interested I can help you with proper dosage.

I also use Wellness and have never had a problem with the food.

• Houston

Cindy, I would alss try giving him some probiotics like FortiFlora and some Slipper Elm either in pill or drop form. I givethis to Otis when his stomach acts up, and he is fine within a few hours..
    The FortiFlora I got from the vet. The Slippery Elmdrops I have are the brand "Animals Apawthecary", and I bought it at "Bones to Go" off of 290 and Jones Rd.
    I hope Shango feels better soon.
    ..you know he could be allercgic to something in the food even though Ra isn't..

• I agree with not using the Imodium… until you understand what is causing the problem. Most of the time it turns out to be giardia. Has he been treated for anything?... it is not always easy to determine Giardia as it doesn't always show up in the stool sample and I have had more then just a couple of Basenjis that Giardia never showed up in the stool, but treated with Flagyl or Panacur, totally fixed them up.... The usually treatments are Flagyl, but if that doesn't work, then Panacur. There are a couple of others. First you need to start ruling out the cause...

Here is just one link to Giardia http://www.giardiaindogs.com/giardia-in-dogs-symptoms.php

And I am sure that this will cause a "stir" on the Forum… but I have never used puppy food once the pups are weaned and I have used up the last of bad.....

• Ps. vet did do stool samples and checked and prescribed the imodium and gave me amounts for pill and liquid… so this is vet prescribed. and it works for us. 🙂

• @jonny:

Ps. vet did do stool samples and checked and prescribed the imodium and gave me amounts for pill and liquid… so this is vet prescribed. and it works for us. 🙂

But as I understand it, it was not for CrazyBasenjiMom's pup…. unless I missed something.

• Giardia is not always evident in poop samples. I believe it depends if the parasites are shedding or not. If they are not shedding, you will get a negative test. Even if they are present. Just my two cents worth.

• Houston

Giardia is not always evident in poop samples. I believe it depends if the parasites are shedding or not. If they are not shedding, you will get a negative test. Even if they are present. Just my two cents worth.

That is how my vet described it to me..Otis was ill a few months ago, and they couldn't find anything wrong through all the tests, but she just had a hunch he had Giradia, so she gave him Panacur, FortiFlora and a antibiotic, with in a day he was better and a few days later he was back as his normal self. He was sick with diarrhea, enough to loose 2.5 lbs in three days..

• Thanks, he was or the fortiflora after the first eposide when I took them to the vets….I still have be using it every day it was a big box, Could it be the water, I don't even drink houston water. When would you reccommend to upgrad from puppy to regular food. I more confused now from the post than before, alot of theriories...What do you feed otis? Hope to see you at the dog park soon.

• Houston

Well Otis is on RAW food, but the wellness food you are feeding is a good one. If you want to try some new foods, Check out Wabash on Washington, right around the corner from you, they have a lot of either organic or natural foods, even some no-grain variates.
    Our foster Dotty get Blue Buffalo Wilderness, it does have oatmeal in it, but that is it on grains. The other really good foods out there is Dick Van Pattens foods, that natural balance line, they're all really good, but I prefer the Duck and potato, or one of their other super premium foods. As far as puppy food vs adult, thay are bothalmost 10 mo old right? I think you can go ahead and start them on adult food, but since thay are fairly small sized, you can keep them on puppy for a bit longer..it is not as if they are getting fat.
    Good luck, it sucks when the babies aren't feeling good…
    Yes we will see if we can meet up at the park, especially since I have two B's needing their energy out..

• Honestly it sounds more like giardia than a food issue. Especially where it is on and off. Like Tanza said, you'll need either Panacur or Flagyl to get the dog over it. My vet said the same thing as the others said - giardia doesn't always show up in testing. So if there is a diarrhea issue on and off my vet is good about trying Panacur or Flagyl. I've heard such good things about Panacur that would be what I would request.

• You have had a lot of good suggestions and its no wonder you are confused. I strongly suggest keeping things simple for both you and your dog.

This means you do not want to change more than one variable at a time because you will not know what actually helped your dog.

Has your vet had you try either the flagyl or the panacur remedy? If not then you might want to investigate this first just to rule out the possibility of giardia. From what you have written here so far, your dog is not vomiting, losing interest in meals, or losing weight but of course you should discuss that with your vet.

I think it would also be worthwhile to discuss the possibility that your dog might need a more bland or lower protein diet to help straighten him out and give his digestive system a chance to adjust and adapt as his food is changed. You Vet should be able to answer these types of questions.

I would avoid any additions of Herbs, Immodiem, or any other type of supplement or medication unless your vet instructs you to administer it.

The less complicated you keep it the easier it will be to isolate the issue and its cause.

http://www.pets911.com/animal-academy/dogs-101/diet-and-nutrition

http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/can_high_protein_food_like_innova_be_giving_my_3_12_month_old_shiba_diarrhea_maybe_her_stomach_cant_-4550

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-health-nutrition/21707-stinky-loose-poop.html

Jason

Suggested Topics