• An update on Griffin. His second day on meds did not go as well as the first but after a trip back to the Vet, being put back on an antibiotic, and now two doses of his medication a day, by last night he was feeling better. He was running a high temp so we are praying that today it will be coming down. Her Vet said he is the first case they have seen in Nashville for several years. Before that they would see 3 ot 4 cases a year.

• Houston

Poor Griffin, We are sending good vibes his way, hoping he is feeling better and that he kicks this darn thing out of the dust..

• Sorry to hear Griffin not so well. Hope things will get better my prayers go out to you. Hope to hear better news soon.

Rita Jean

• Jeez, something else to worry about is the humid end of Texas. I clean my packs ears, I amy start squirting their nose's too. PREVENTION alwasy.

Has anyone heard about DOG FLU????????

• Houston

I heard the FDA approved Flu vaccines for dogs, so I guess the flue is on the rise..

• Flu vac's for dogs. Does that mean we all need to get one for our dogs?

Rita Jean

• Houston

Here is a link I got a few weeks ago from one of our Brat members..

http://www.ufsheltermedicine.com/CIV_for_Shelters.htm

• Thank you for the information very good material now do we do the shot or not? What do all of you that have had B's for a long time think about the shot. Do we get the shot or not?

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Thank you for the information very good material now do we do the shot or not? What do all of you that have had B's for a long time think about the shot. Do we get the shot or not?

Rita Jean

From the article, note that it says (by the way I do not give or intend to give, of course that said, I don't get a flu shot either)

Canine influenza outbreaks are most likely to occur in facilities where dogs are housed together and there is frequent introduction of new dogs into the resident population. Canine influenza outbreaks have impacted many sheltering facilities and organizations around the country since 2004, including open admission shelters, limited admission shelters, and foster homes or rescue/adoption groups in California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming. Many of these outbreaks have resulted in increased euthanasia due to the overwhelming number of sick dogs or the severity of illness.

• Thank you Pat I just wondered what others thoughts were. I do not get the flu shot either. Hate shots and seems to me you always get what the shots don't cover anyway. Thanks again.

Rita Jean

• Update on Griffin's (my granddog) battle against Blastomycosis: He is no longer getting any outward lumps and only a few have not drained yet. He has overcome not being able to walk due to an enlarged hardened lymph node in his back leg. Tonight Christa was able to take him on a short walk with socks on his feet to keep his sores from breaking open and to keep him from licking them. He is on an anti-inflammatory and his fungus med two times a day. His appetite is getting better. He sleeps most of the time but when awake seems to feel a lot better. Christa checks in with the Vet tomorrow. Thanks for your continued prayers and concern.

• Houston

Bless Griffin's little heart. I am so glad yo hear taht things are looking better then they have for a few dasy now, that is a good sign, I hope. Please let Christa know that we are thinking of her and Griffin. I actually just read about them the other day on the Brat site..

• Here's hope and prayers that he comes through this.

• Do you have the BRAT link? I am not on that particular email list probably because I and not part of the people who are actually rescuing,fostering and transporting.

• You can find most all the contact/links you need from www.basenjirescue.org for BRAT

• So happy to hear Griffin's is getting better. I hope each day get's better for all of now. Good luck and tell your daughter we are thinking of them ever day.

Rita Jean

• Griffin continues to be a fighter. He still battles the sores on his feet that aren't healing very quickly and the other lumps on his body. The Vet now feels that he contracted the fungus through a cut which according to my research is as rare a way to get Blastomycosis as it is to even contract the fungus. He will be on the meds for several months even after the symptoms disappear.

• Houston

Poor Griffin..I ma glad that he is giving t his a fight and not giving in..send your daughter and Griffin hugs from us ..

• It has been a little over a month since Griffin was diagnosed with Blastomycosis. All his sores are now healing and the coughing has stopped. He continues on his meds as well as an anti-inflammatory. My daughter was concerned over the long term use of Remadyl but the Vet assured her it was safe and that in a couple of weeks he will wean him off. If Christa does not give it to him he feels rough and will not eat. In two weeks he will have a complete checkup and hopefully the signs of the infection will be gone. If he gets a good report he and Phoenix will have both survived a near death experience.

• Houston

I am so very happy to hear about Griffin doing so much better, yippea , there is light at the end of the tunnel..

They are strong and have a strong will to live and play…good news. I am happy for both of them.

Suggested Topics