• Yesterday I was at the University and we had to practise with some dogs. Of course, the University has its own dogs that are being used as 'study objects'. There are Greyhounds, retrievers, Beagles etc. But especially a lot of Beagles.. I'm always a little bit insensitive towards them. They are 'just dogs'.. 'Study objects'.. Sweet, but that's it. You can't get attached right? Or feel sorry for them..

Well.. yesterday there was a new beagle. A very sweet young girl, with a very cute puppy face. It was her first time on the 'Vet's table', so she was a bit nervous. But she was sooo sweet.. I asked the vet who was helping us how old this cute girl was.. His answer was.. "Uh.. number 6767.. Don't know.. I think she's about 2 yrs old" And I was like: number 6767?! Why hasn't she got a name? He thought "6767" was quite a nice name and that you can't name them all.. Pfffff.. I told him that was just stupid! All the retrievers have names.. and all the horses have a name too.. Why not the beagles?

I decided to give her a name myself: Lily. I think she was pretty happy with her new name 😉 I also took her for a nice long walk. She was wagging her tail all the way.. She stole my heart.. after our walk I asked the vet if I could steal her.. gg.. he told me I should try that.. 😉 Don't think I'm going to do that, but I'm definitely going to pick her up for a walk when I have some free time. 🙂 And mabye buy an ID tag with her new name on it 😉

• Hmmm, is it possible that maybe, just maybe Lily has stolen your heart and Mirtillo might have a new companion? maybe?

• Does the univiersity adopt the dogs out after a certain time period?

UC Davis rescues dogs from the local shelters to be used by the students. Each dog stays in the program for 2 years and is then adopted out by the University. They have an easy time placing these dogs since they are very social, used to handling, and have basic manners. My husband's boss has a black lab named Jake from this program.

• @lvoss:

Does the univiersity adopt the dogs out after a certain time period?

UC Davis rescues dogs from the local shelters to be used by the students. Each dog stays in the program for 2 years and is then adopted out by the University. They have an easy time placing these dogs since they are very social, used to handling, and have basic manners. My husband's boss has a black lab named Jake from this program.

I don't know if they adopt them out.. And I believe they don't come from shelters.. The animals (cats/dogs) they euthanize for the students are specially bred for the University. In the Netherlands it's not allowed to use 'normal pets' for these things.

Our laboratory dogs are also bred for the Uni. They even have a special 'brand' from the US. And I believe that there is a policy that 'no test animal leaves the building alive'.. I know it works that way for rats etc. But I don't know about the dogs… I do know there is an organisation in the Netherlands that places laboratory dogs, but I don't know if they also come from our Uni. I will ask around how it works exactly..

• @nobarkus:

Hmmm, is it possible that maybe, just maybe Lily has stolen your heart and Mirtillo might have a new companion? maybe?

Wouldn't that be nice for Lily and Mirtillo? 🙂 Don't think the Uni will let her go though 😉

• How sweet of you to get her a tag. Love that!

• Tag is very sweet keep hanging around her and asking you might get what you wish for I hope so like home with you.

Rita Jean

• Hi Janneke!
    I know this very well from our school, but fortunatelly all our dogs have their names already. Maybe because we are smaller University than you are. And I am happy I can see most of doctors are very kind to all of them. I love also our school horses, they are really beautifull, despite little but stubborn and lazy - they know how to do with students:)
    Hope Lily will feel little bit better with new name:)

Suggested Topics