• There are days that I just hate having neighbors. Today is one of those days. Starting at 8am today it has been a non-stop barkfest. The neighbor's pitbull on the right of my house started barking and kept it up for about an hour. At least this time it was at a "reasonable" hour and not the midnight that it has been barking at for the last week. The at 10am the neighbor on the left's hound started barking because they had visitors that it very badly wanted to see. Their "solution" to this problem was to open their garage door and let the dog run loose through the neigborhood, mostly in MY front yard! I bet they also tell all their friends how much their dog LOVES being left outside. GRRRR!

And of course, all this barking and activity is driving my basenjis nuts. The barking is bad enough but they hate seeing other dogs in "their" yard.

• Sometimes, I?m so happy we live on a ship…
    I won?t knowwhat to do in such a situation :S

• Makes you love your B all the more no barking. We have a lab to our south barks more then he don't. Then accross street we have a hugh mixed dog and her boyfriends dog and next door to her is three more and they all bark.
    Well there could be one nice thing no one is going to break into our house to many barking dogs. Then if they did break in our akita would bark.

People around here let there dogs go in your yard they pick up the poop but I planted holly's way our front in our yard and dog pee and holly's do not go hand in hand until they get growning in the ground like a year or two and I have replace many holly's.

Rita Jean

• My neighbors Pitbulls used to bark for hours straight, sometimes the male would start at 10pm when she was out during the week or bark all day. It's been quiet lately since she's been home laid off from work. But, I would definitely complain to the neighbor about the loose dog. That's against the law here and inconsiderate if the dog poops in peoples yard.

• I can sooooo relate to this…so I feel at least part of your pain. :mad::mad::mad:

Our neighbor to the right has a beagle which I'm pretty sure is an outside only dog. Anytime they come home or a visitor comes in the driveway, the dog starts barking and will go on for hours. I've heard it bark for 2 or more hours - of course it usually is around 10pm, but always on the weekend during both days. Anyway, my b kids can be sleeping, but the minute that thing starts barking they start running around like crazy because with the windows open, it sounds like it is right outside.

Imagine my feeling about the barking the last 8 weeks when I've been trying to keep Brando quiet because of his broken leg. It hasn't been good. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't hate the dog, I feel sorry for the dog...but I can't stand the neighbors! And we live on 2.5 acres - I can't imagine living closer to someone whose dog barks all the time AND comes in my yard. Luckily, our neighbors don't have dogs that run into the yard very often, but there are plenty on the street that come running out at us when we walk.

I will say though, we really do have a bunch of idiot dog owners on our street. :rolleyes: On our road, 2 dogs have gone missing - of course anytime I ever saw them they were wandering in the road. Another neighbor - one of their dogs walks with a serious limp (looks like it was hit by a car) oh, and guess what - that one was always chasing something into the road or on the road. We have another neighbor who rides around with his yellow lab loose in the back of his pickup. He told my brother he would love to breed one of my basenjis to a beagle (to make the ultimate hunting dog) - my brother just laughed at him and said no way that was happening. :rolleyes:

Yup, can you tell...I love my neighbors. :rolleyes:

• @renaultf1:

II don't hate the dog, I feel sorry for the dog…but I can't stand the neighbors!

This is exactly right. I feel so sorry for the dogs who are stuck outside all the time but am infuriated at my neighbors who have created these nuisance barkers.

We used to have the issue of loose dogs charging us on walks but that has been much better. The newer neighbors at least feel the need to be present when they let their dogs run loose. :mad:

• Houston

Our neighbor next door has 2 Blue Heelers, Hunt and Fish( cool names right..LOL) something is not right with one of those dogs, Hunt, I believe, his tail hangs limp, almost drags on the ground, like he got hit by a car..and it is always out running on the streets, the same road Otis got hit by car on a few months ago..well it has apparently now impregnanted this mutt/chow/?? down the street, so she has some weirdo looking pups running with her up and down the streets…
    I live in a very petite(by Texas standards) older neighborhood, we have no deed restrictions or homeowners associations, so many dogs are not kept after very well,i.e they run in and out of their yard all day, some are fenced others are not, and they bark constantly...I have two barkers as well, however they are not allowed to be outside (in the fenced backyard) if they start barking..and they know it, so they may bark ones, look back at the house to see if I heard them and then stop..

One of the very big reasons I wanted a different dog, a dog that doesn't bark.. Bless Otis' heart, how much I love him for not barking....

• @lvoss:

This is exactly right. I feel so sorry for the dogs who are stuck outside all the time but am infuriated at my neighbors who have created these nuisance barkers.

We used to have the issue of loose dogs charging us on walks but that has been much better. The newer neighbors at least feel the need to be present when they let their dogs run loose. :mad:

I hate the charging loose dogs!! You yell at the dog to stop, they then they grab the dog and walk away and no apology after you just got the crap scared out of you.

• Houston

I hate the charging loose dogs!! You yell at the dog to stop, they then they grab the dog and walk away and no apology after you just got the crap scared out of you.

I so agree..I have just gotten this little sweet thingamabob from my darlin' husband. It fits very nicely in your hand and if you feel the need to get unwanted dogs off your dog or yourself you depress the button on top of the device and out comes…mace..
    I have yet to have had a reason to use ot, but trust me, no dog will ever attack me or my dog without a fight...and some burning eyes to boot.

• @Basenjimamma:

I so agree..I have just gotten this little sweet thingamabob from my darlin' husband. It fits very nicely in your hand and if you feel the need to get unwanted dogs off your dog or yourself you depress the button on top of the device and out comes…mace..
    I have yet to have had a reason to use ot, but trust me, no dog will ever attack me or my dog without a fight...and some burning eyes to boot.

Hey I gotta get one those Petra!

• Houston

According to my husband we have a right to protect ourselves and our loved ones..so yes, gotta get one of those is right..
    It makes me feel safer knowing I have that with me, in case an attack were to happen, like I said I have not ever had to use it, but you never know, it might happen one day..and I am prepared for that day.

• Not long ago in a big park here a loose Pitbull that escaped from it's yard killed this ladies 12 year old Whippet while she was walking it. The 19 year old girl who owns the Pit it is trying to get the court to keep it from being euthanized. I'm thinking "whaaaa! You want your killer dog back"?! I don't think so!

• First Basenji's

I have a rooster in the yard behind us and you haven't lived till you've seen a basenji discover that noise for the first time….priceless!

• @candiejohn:

I have a rooster in the yard behind us and you haven't lived till you've seen a basenji discover that noise for the first time….priceless!

A rooster!! Hey Petra what time do you wake up?? 😃

• Thank you Basenjimamma we should have one when we walk Jaycee lots of big dogs around us been good but only take one. Thank you.

Rita Jean

• Houston

our rooster alarm goes off at about 6:00 or 6:30 if he is tired (he is gotten better since I turned the bugzapper in the coop off, no light what so ever in there anymore)…and boy do I hate it..but he is so darn pretty I don't have the heart to make him into "caldo de pollo"..yet, but my husband is threatening with it..and he doesn't even wake up from it..
    The thing with the rooster is..the kids saw him hatch out in a box under lamp on our kitchen counter..he sort of belongs here now.

• The constant barking dogs are always the ones left in the yard, no attention, never get walks or socialization with people or dogs. Why do they get dogs? A cat needs attention too or it will become a neighborhood fighter and wanderer.

• Houston

The constant barking dogs are always the ones left in the yard, no attention, never get walks or socialization with people or dogs. Why do they get dogs

You got to keep up with the Jones'…right?

• @Basenjimamma:

You got to keep up with the Jones'…right?

They think it's part of the yard like the fence.:mad:

• @nobarkus:

The constant barking dogs are always the ones left in the yard, no attention, never get walks or socialization with people or dogs. Why do they get dogs? A cat needs attention too or it will become a neighborhood fighter and wanderer.

Honestly, they will tell you that dogs like being in the backyard. That their dog wants to be out there. It is very frustrating because clearly the dog does not want to be back there, it wants to be with its family but they don't really want the dog. They will tell you that dogs bark, that's what they do, it doesn't mean they are not happy. Again, very frustrating.

And lets not even start on the new cats in the neighborhood who seem to think my lawn is their afternoon lounge. But at least with them turning the sprinklers on them seems to have deterred that behavior.

Suggested Topics