• I didn't realize that Gossy was also exceptionally picky about her poop site - she wouldn't do it in the back yard just on walks - only I didn't catch on to that until recently. Not a problem when I get home from work becaue I always take her for a walk then. But now that it is getting darker in the morning, walks are becoming increasingly impossible - and I can't just leave her in the yard without watching because she'll just hunt squirrels or sit on the steps or everything but poop. So after several days of swearing and impatience on my part, I finally realized this is a "teachable moment" - and have given her more time in the yard and started giving her special treats and praise as soon as she does her job. It is starting to work.

• Houston

I have always, with all my dogs now and in the past used praise and "treats" when they gone potty #1 or #2, so now all I do is say go do your thing and they will, maybe not right then and there, but at least with in a few yards of when I told them..

Now all my dogs I gave had since puppy hood, so I don't know how quick an adult dog would catch on, but just like with everything else, if the motivation(read treats) is there, they will learn..

• Sometimes it's more a matter of teaching us than teaching them 😃

Suggested Topics