• I really regret to do this but I NEED to rehome Mowgli. He was as wonderful as any dog the first week but now that he's beginning to settle in, he's turning into a huge problem dog. He's very, very jealous with Shango which often turns into little spats and bad behavior.

He's a good boy, he just needs someone experienced to train him; he grew up in an unloving dog pound and doesn't really understand the rules of home life. He'd require A LOT of training.

He's had all of his shots expect rabies and still needs to be neutered. He also still has his dew claws.

PLEASE let me know if someone is interested in giving Mowgli a new home. It turns out that we're not the perfect home for him.

• So sorry to hear this Andrew, how upsetting. Unfortunately i am too far away to help. Hopefuly someone nearer will be able to offer him a home 😞

• Houston

Andrew, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I could offer to help, but have no room, am not experienced in dogtraining and I have two males already in my household, one of whom really wouldn't care if Otis fell of the face of the planet..i.e, not a lot of love there..Sorry.

• Andrew, it can take months for a new dog to settle in. There is no dog that will be perfect in a couple weeks. I would neuter him and then make sure he gets a lot of exercise. You can also contact BRAT to post him on the mix page.

• @dash:

Andrew, it can take months for a new dog to settle in. There is no dog that will be perfect in a couple weeks. I would neuter him and then make sure he gets a lot of exercise. You can also contact BRAT to post him on the mix page.

I absolutely understand this, but as a full-time college student I think my role in Mowgli's life right now was to get him out of that terrible dog pound and show him love until he gets a forever home.

It's MUCH too stressful and tense right now with both Shango and Mowgli in the home. As time goes on, I fear things getting worse because Im not able to give Mowgli the time/attention and training he needs as a very needy young pup.

We go to the park three times a day, yes THREE and he's still running on never-ending energy. He's just excited to be in a home and be loved, I know, but it's too much for me to handle and I don't want me or Shango suffering because of it.

He needs to find a new home.

• Andrew
    How old is Mowgli?
    Try America's Basenji Rescue.org,talk to Becky or Keath.They might be able to help.

Kathryn and all the
    Jaroufa Hounds

• I can't believe that the rescue place did not neuter him. That floors me. I would definately post him on the BRAT mix page. We actually just placed one today, so people are checking it.

• First Basenji's

Andrew, I'm so sorry it's not working out. I wish I could help you by taking him, but at the moment I'm dealing with two dogs that get along sometimes and battle for dominance others. Neutering would probably help a little, but I know it can be stressful with 2 dogs and being a full time student (been through that, GPA suffered as a result). If you can't find someone, definitely try a rescue group. In the end, you have to do what you feel is best for all three of you.

• @dash:

I can't believe that the rescue place did not neuter him. That floors me. I would definately post him on the BRAT mix page. We actually just placed one today, so people are checking it.

He wasn't in a rescue he was in a very, very stark grim dog shelter. I def. will talk to BRAT about posting him as a mix on their page but thought I'd check the forums first.

• @Jaroufa:

Andrew
    How old is Mowgli?
    Try America's Basenji Rescue.org,talk to Becky or Keath.They might be able to help.

Kathryn and all the
    Jaroufa Hounds

He's estimated to be around 9 months old. He's a young thing; perfect teeth and very much a puppy, though he IS house-trained and sleeps well in a crate.

• Oh Andrew, I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. I wish I could help but my old boy doesn't tolerate other males, nor does he any longer have the patience a pup needs. You really sound stressed so I just wanted to say I respect your decision to rescue this little one from the pound, and I also respect your decision to re-home him as well. Your a great B. daddy to Shango, and I know you've tried your best with Mowgli. Best wishes and prayers to you for a happy and speedy resolve.

Dawn

• @AndrewnShango:

He's estimated to be around 9 months old. He's a young thing; perfect teeth and very much a puppy, though he IS house-trained and sleeps well in a crate.

Andrew, I will check in OH and IN to someone looking for a mix. I should add, I am not sure if BRAT will place a dog that is not neutered. Can you neuter him and get his Rabies shot?

• @dash:

Andrew, I will check in OH and IN to someone looking for a mix. I should add, I am not sure if BRAT will place a dog that is not neutered. Can you neuter him and get his Rabies shot?

Honestly, I'm not sure that I can. I don't have a car because I'm in school and want to do my part, so I walk everywhere or resort to public transportation. Then on the weekends Fri-Sun I work long hours while the vet is open. So it'd be quite difficult to take Mowgli to the vet without missing class or calling of work and I really can't do either 😞

• @AndrewnShango:

Honestly, I'm not sure that I can. I don't have a car because I'm in school and want to do my part, so I walk everywhere or resort to public transportation. Then on the weekends Fri-Sun I work long hours while the vet is open. So it'd be quite difficult to take Mowgli to the vet without missing class or calling of work and I really can't do either 😞

Ok. so you are going to need someone to come to you to pick him up then. I didn't see anyone in IN interested in a mix but a few in IL.

• @dash:

Ok. so you are going to need someone to come to you to pick him up then. I didn't see anyone in IN interested in a mix but a few in IL.

I've e-mailed Rebecca and Keith at America's Basenji Rescue in Indianapolis, the rescue I adopted Shango from, to see if they have room for the little guy.

• I'm so sorry this is working out like this, but I'm really glad you got him out of his bad situation. I'm from rural Ohio (though in CA now), and I know what those shelters can be like. I also know what it's like to realize that a rescued dog really isn't going to get along with another member of your pack–if you recall, I had to send a really sweet basenji mix to rescue when the resident Airedale tried to eat her. You did a really good thing, though, and Mowgli will find a good place to grow up into a fantastic dog.

• @Varanus:

I'm so sorry this is working out like this, but I'm really glad you got him out of his bad situation. I'm from rural Ohio (though in CA now), and I know what those shelters can be like. I also know what it's like to realize that a rescued dog really isn't going to get along with another member of your pack–if you recall, I had to send a really sweet basenji mix to rescue when the resident Airedale tried to eat her. You did a really good thing, though, and Mowgli will find a good place to grow up into a fantastic dog.

'Dito'- Well said, truely Andrew, you have done a wonderful act of kindness, and I pray that your act of kindness will come back to you when you most needed it as Mowgli apparently needed it …...Maybe you were only meant to get Mowgli out of there so he could end up where he suppose to be... D

Suggested Topics