• Our prayers and best to you. In our thoughts hope all goes well.

Rita Jean

• Fingers crossed for poor Meeka, hoping for a positive outcome.

• My heart goes out to you. I will pray for wisdom and direction for you guys, and that any results from tests are accurate.
    I was taught to use a little Olive Oil ® to help with meds. -plus when they do not want to eat due to health. Tablespoon. However, I would suggest speaking with your vet. if you give along with meds. - Suggestion about broth earlier is excellant ... also, I figure you know already, to keep as much energy in your baby to fight and function - giving nutri-cal type product esp. since Meeka is not eating- I've been in this type of fight before.

Will say prayers for you all, D

• @tanza:

I think that would the kidney values would be up (BUN and Creatinine) , not the kidney function, most likely the function is decreasing

Yes, Pat you're right, that's what I meant.

• Houston

I am still hoping and praying that Meeka is feeling better and that there will be an answer tomorrow for you and Meeka when you visit your vet.

• this is probably a stupid question- but they were throwing so much information at me when we were there Saturday.. I dont remember them saying anything about the kidney.. Does the blood test give them the kidney levels?

• @DiegosMom:

this is probably a stupid question- but they were throwing so much information at me when we were there Saturday.. I dont remember them saying anything about the kidney.. Does the blood test give them the kidney levels?

Yes, it does give the kidney value levels in a blood test. They might have been in the normal range at that time, but could have gone off since then if she is drinking and peeing more now. Good sometimes to get a copy of the results.. then you can look at it at home… most will show what the normal ranges should be.

• How's Meeka doing today? Better I hope.

• I called to get the results of the fluid sample (not back yet) and told them about the increase drinking/peeing..

She is doing the same today.. it looks like there is more fluid build up in the stomach, one side is still hanging very low, but today its more "filled" than it was yesterday. I'm just happy to get back to the vet tomorrow..

• Sarah,
    i hope everything goes ok tomorrow for Meeka

• Wish all the best on Tuesday. Extra prayers go your way tonight. Please try to rest this night.

Rita Jean

• Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about Meeka. Our thoughts and hugs are with you.

• I have a though just having gone through something similar to this with my dog. How about a blockage in the upper GI track. Cody had foreign matter he ingested stuck in the 1st section of the small intestines. The vet had to drain off a large amount of fluid from his stomach during surgery to remove the object. Nothing could pass from the stomach to his intestines. They had given him several bags of IV fluids so he continued to urinate. It took a week to discover the blockage and we had been force feeding food and liquids and it just stayed in his stomach. The blockage was discovered after multiple x-rays from several angles over a period of days and comparison of the x-rays.

• I hope they discover what the problem is soon and Meeka gets better.

• Small update- I took her in this morning and the oncologist was a little more concerned than the emergency vet about some of the results from the blood. Her platelet level was low, and there were a couple other levels that were low, I don’t have the results in front of me so I’m not sure what they are. I have only talked to them over the phone after the ultrasound, I had to leave her there because it was hours after our appointment that they could get her in for the ultrasound. The doctor called and said he spleen was irregular, there were “lumps and bumps” on the spleen, so know they will use a needle to sample from the spleen and send it to the lab. I don't know if this ruled out cancer, if it could still be cancer, or what. I need to talk to the vet sace to face, he has a heavy accent so its harder to do over the phone. Results for spleen won’t be for 1-2 days. I feel like this is all taking a very long time, I just want to know what’s wrong with her so we can start treating her. When I pick her up I’m hoping to get a little more info. He said he could go over the images with me, and I’m going to ask for a copy of the blood results.

• Thanks for the update, hope you get some answers soon and that the problem is something treatable

• Thank you for the update and do hope you get some answers this evening. The wait is always so hard I just wish they could move faster. My heart goes to you both that there is good news on the way. Please take care and keep us up todate. Thank you.

Rita Jean

• Just picked her up from the vet- current diagnosis: abdominal effision- irregular spleen on ultrasound. Cytology (sample) of the spleen sent to lab, waiting on results.

The fluid results were consistent with modified transudate (high protein fluid).

Here are the blood results for anyone interest (I dont know what the letters mean, they explained it all to me but I just have the print out of the results- and these are only the ones that are high or low, didnt include the normal level results):

ALB 2.3 g/dL mildly low
    ALKP 231 U/L High
    Na 138 mmol/L Low
    Cl 105 mmol/L Low
    LYM .4K/uL Low
    HCT 57.4% High
    MCV 77.3 fL High
    MCHC 28.7 g/dL Low
    PLT 56 K/uL very low (platelets)

• What did they say about her BUN and Creatinine? Here is link on how to read blood tests.. Is that all that is on the results?

http://home.gci.net/~divs/disease/lab_tests.html#cbc

The ALKP has to do with the liver and high values indicated liver desease among other things. Same with ALB - low points to chronic liver or Kidney disease

• Houston

Glad you have her with you again. I have no clue what it all means, but am sure the oldtimers will fill you in. Please keep us posted.

Suggested Topics