• @tanza:

What did they say about her BUN and Creatinine? Here is link on how to read blood tests.. Is that all that is on the results?

http://home.gci.net/~divs/disease/lab_tests.html#cbc

The ALKP has to do with the liver and high values indicated liver desease among other things. Same with ALB - low points to chronic liver or Kidney disease

Can I just say that you are a fount of knowledge :D:D:D…I have loads of bookmarks from things you (and the other longtime b owners) have posted so that I can refer back if/when I need them. Thanks for this post!

• @tanza:

What did they say about her BUN and Creatinine? Here is link on how to read blood tests.. Is that all that is on the results?

The ALKP has to do with the liver and high values indicated liver desease among other things. Same with ALB - low points to chronic liver or Kidney disease

that is just the high/low results.. i didnt include the ones that are in the normal range.

BUN 14 mg/dL normal
    CREA .8 mg/dL normal

and thanks for the link 🙂

• @tanza:

The vets don't seem concerned with the liver or kidney, I'm not sure why since the ALKP was high and ALB low..

• I am with Basenjimamma no clue but I am in hope that it is good and med's will take care.
    When you say liver or kidney Pat were does that lead you?

Please take care.

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

I am with Basenjimamma no clue but I am in hope that it is good and med's will take care.
    When you say liver or kidney Pat were does that lead you?

Please take care.

Rita Jean

I would not even venture a guess, could be so many things…. But it is always good to make sure that the functions of the kidneys are within normal range...

• @DiegosMom:

The vets don't seem concerned with the liver or kidney, I'm not sure why since the ALKP was high and ALB low..

Could be because the reason the Liver is off is due to whatever else is going on… and the liver is pretty remarkable... as it can and does regenerate itself... almost like self healing..... of course depending on what is going on....

• Oh, do let us know how he is doing.

• still waiting for the spleen results.. she is doing about the same..

• I know there are no words but at least about the same. I do so hope all is well and great news comming your way.
    Special hug to your little girl.

Rita Jean

• Unfortunately I have no good news to share. I left the technical stuff at work, so I don’t know the medical terms for what’s going on. We got the results from the cytology of the spleen back. There are two possible diseases affecting the spleen, and they can’t determine which one it is unless we have surgery to remove the spleen. (the oncologist said he would not do a biopsy in her case). The oncologist’s recommendation regardless of which one she has is to remove the spleen. Because of different symptoms she has is also confident that of the two things that it could be, that she has cancer. After surgery she would need chemo.

After talking to me regular vet I decided not to do the surgery/chemo. There are a number of reasons that decision was made. Life expectancy is 1 year or less with the surgery and chemo, I don’t want to put her through surgery and chemo, and my regular vet’s opinion was to not do the surgery. She said she has seen a lot of dogs go in for surgery/chemo and come out with a low quality of life, even though they stay alive longer than the other options. In addition, it’s very expensive and we don’t know how long it would actually give us.

The oncologists second recommendation if we elected not to do surgery is to put her on steroids. My vet agreed that this is the route she would take. So we started her on steroids tonight. Her condition seems to be deteriorating quickly over the past 24-36 hours, so I’m hoping we are just going through a bad day and she will start to improve.

Its been difficult to make these decisions, and I know there are more to come. Please pray that God keeps Meeka comfortable and with us a little longer, I am not ready to say goodbye to my little princess.

• I am so very sorry about your news and wish I could change this for you. Please know my heart goes to you both and prayers yes there will be lots of those.

I only wish you would look at the website for cancer and three drug mix and talk to your vet please. It may not help but ask and find out our vet was not sure either until read.

I do not want you to say goodbye to your little princess just look it over and talk to you vet give her that much please.

Rita Jean

• I'm so sorry. Of course Meeka (and you/your family) will be in my thoughts and prayers. You also may want to look for a holistic vet; I've had great luck with mine.

• thank you both for the advice. I will print off the info and see what the vet says. And I will look for a holistic vet in the area and see what they think.

• Sarah and Meeka, I wish I had words of wisdom or the perfect medicinal advice. I have neither. I can only say I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you only the best.

Dawn

• I am so sorry to hear Meeka's prognosis and know how it feels to get that news. It is just so similar to what I went through with Spot. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Meeka.

• Sarah, I'm so sorry for your news. And know it is a really tough decision to make.

I have not experienced cancer in a pet myself but have had friends go thru it. The last one did have surgery and chemo and made it an additional year. They spent thousands but the dog had a really poor quality of life for the entire year and you would not have even thought it was the same dog almost from the get go as it lost all his zest. It was heartbreaking to see him like that and my friends (who have the resources to do anything needed, BTW) said they wouldn't do it again.

• Houston

Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about Meeka's prognosis, not good. I have had two dogs die(with help from us) from cancer this past spring, one in March and one in April. It is not easy to see them deterioate so rapidly (at least both of my boys did), and knowing it is very little you can do. Please know that we will have Meeka and yourself in our thoughts and prayers..my children, following her thread are heartbroken and ask if Meeka will see our Bogus and Lou in heaven..I answered saying, not now, not for a long time…I hope this comes true..

• This is the hardest thing we do for our beloved pets…we love them and give them the gift of peace, when their bodies fail them.
    Hugs and hugs.
    We will all be here for you.

• Sarah, so sorry to hear the bad news. We are keeping Meeka in our thoughts!

• I am so sorry you have such bad news. Love her and keep her comfortable and enjoy the time you have. I hope she will improve so you will have more 'good times' with her. Hugs to you, it is not an easy road you will have to travel.

Suggested Topics