• One of my moms cairn terriers did the same thing when he was a pup. He is a fairly dominant alpha male dog with very set territorial boundaries. Perhaps your dog only feels safe to stash his food in his spots that he knows are "safe"?

• Shelby hasn't hid under the bed for several weeks now so I guess that's over. We still play the "hide the treatball" but we all enjoy it. Even my grown children get into the game. They pretend they can't see it even if it's hidden next to the window. But when she goes out then it all changes. My 24 year old likes to move the ball and then Shelby has to find it. She is the sweetest! The look on her face when we move it is precious. It's like she accuses us of stealing it which of course we did. We get the guilts but do it again later. 🙂

• My first Basenji, Channayn, would bury things. Once she started digging, she found underground tunnels. I gues this was more interesting. She stopped buring things and just started digging. Everywhere she dug there would be a tunnel.

My youngest male, Mahendra, doesn't bury things, but he hides them. I got some rawhide bones. Not the solid rawhide but the kind that are thin and built up like plywood. All 3 of my Basenjis love this type. To the extent that Mahendra has hidden them so the other 2 cannot find them. I don't know where he hides them, but I should find out and show the other 2. Then see if Mahendra finds another hiding spot.

Suggested Topics