• On free days we walk 2 x 1,5 hour + at night a small pee round which takes around 15 minutes. Or we go to the zoo, the dog park or to track racing/coursing for a couple of hours.

When BF and I are both from home, the pups go to day care. We walk them 30-45 min before we bring them. They spent at least 2 hours outside playing with other dogs on a big field and of course interact with other dogs inside as well. When BF picks them up they get a small round (20 min). When I pick them up, I take them for a 45-60 min walk. That's often not necessary to get them tired… (they sleep in the car when I pick them up), but I think it's quality time after 7 hours without me or BF 😃 😉 One night a week we have agility and of course we do the 15 min walk at night before going to bed. We also did obedience.. but I'm a bit out of time and energy.. so I think we'll stop that for now..

We haven't got a big garden and there are no B500's in the house. Only snoring 😞 😃

• I'm on 5 acres and have a dedicated dogyard and an agility yard. My 2 boys don't need much exercise (they're 12.5 and 11.5) but do enjoy wondering around the dogyard and even enjoy a run in the agility yard. For my 2 year old basenji, I have a malinois with a ball and a chuck it (helps me throw the ball far). Although lately it's been interesting. The malinois has criteria; she must down and not chase the ball until being releast. Zest, the young superstar basenji in training, will chase the ball and and sometimes get it before the malinois. The mali thinks the whole thing is grossly unfair, but Zest replies "But I'm the princess." Anyway, Zest almost always knows where the ball went, but the mali often looses it.

• We alternate between 8-mile bike rides, 3-mile runs, or assorted runs, hikes, walks. Loki and Freya get rather restless if they don't get at least 3 miles in every day (they are only 2.5 years old and have lots of energy). Sometimes, if we go for a long hike where there is no water, I will even make them carry water bottles for everyone in saddlebags. That way, the bags get progressively lighter as we drink the water. If I didn't bring enough water, I will actually make them carry rocks. People get this funny look on their faces when you tell them that the dogs are carrying rocks… Since the bags are red, people tend to think that they are search and rescue dogs... They actually love carrying their saddlebags as it gives them a job and they "suffer" less from Basenji "ADD".

🙂
    Loki & Freya's Mom

Suggested Topics