• It sounds like thyroid to me as well. We have a rescue here, while most of her thyroid work is good, there is one thing that is a bit off. Not enough to seem to make a difference, but, we have put her on meds recently, just to see if it will make a difference. She is also moody. So, you never know about thyroid.
    As for the affection part, keep up what you are doing. While, I believe, yes, that her critical period was missed, I still believe that with hard work, she will start to notice you. There was a dog a while back, a basenji from rescue, that was totally ignoring the owner as well. Would rather be off chasing butterflies in the back corner. She started working on the dog, one on one, and the dog slowly came around somewhat. I'm not saying she will ever be a 'normal' dog, but she may, with a lot of work, come around somewhat.

Good luck on her.

• post removed

• Ahhhh, progress!

• Houston

The clicker with several dogs, I know what a mess. I usually separate the one dog I am working on, either to a different room or outside..so they can work one on one, more concentration, less strugglingto get teh treat before anybody else does.
    Sounds like she will do really well on it, good news indeed.
    I even taught Otis to give me kisses on demand with the clicker, so anything is possible, they are so treat/food motivated..which in the instance is a great thing.
    Good luck, keep it fun and keep us updated.

• @Vicki:

What do y'all think about this: Recently, I discussed Bailey with the rescue coordinator who fostered Bailey. I find it interesting that people think that a dog's quirks deserve physical punishment rather than behavior modification. I was told that Bailey was head-strong and she needed a firm hand - yes, she is head-strong, but she is also very confused. Rolled up newspapers, a fly swatter, or physical punishment isn't the answer with an anti-social dog!!

I have unfortunately heard/seen this response all too frequently from people and have seen the damage it causes. In most of these situations, the dog does not know what is wanted. It can not change its behavior to something more suitable if it has no clue what it should do. Physically punishing it only exacerbates the situation because though it may learn that doing that will cause punishment it doesn't know what it should be doing and often the alternative behaviors the dogs tries also cause punishment leading to a more and more confused dog who distances itself further and further from humans.

As for the clicker training, I am glad you are making progress. You may want to work with Bailey on name response so instead of clicking to get her attention when she is behaving inappropriately you can redirect by getting her attention with her name then clicking the positive behavior. To teach name response say her name and as soon as she starts to turn toward you, click and treat. As soon as she starts to move away from you, say her name and as soon as she starts to turn toward you click and treat. Keep repeating. It doesn't take too long for most basenjis to just start staring at you waiting for you to say their name, you can then use that as a starting point for "look at me" or "attention". I just start clicking for a longer and longer period of looking at me. 1 click/treat, 1, 2 click/treat, 1, 2, 3 click/treat etc.

I love the clicker and the response you get from the dogs when they "get" the game and learn that they have the power to make you click. It just does wonders for bringing them out of their shells and also for getting them to use that brain which I love because it means a tired dog after a training session.

• Congratulations on your progress with Bailey.:) I am of the school of thought that thinks our dogs can learn from one another as well as from us. I'm glad to hear your pack is helping in the training and socialization. There will come a time when you will want to work with Bailey alone, but in the mean time Bailey sees the others sit and wait patiently for a treat or "good dog"scratch or a hug and kiss, and realizes she may also have to wait for her turn…delayed gratification (as you know from working with Sp. ed. kids) is a huge milestone.

I'm wishing for you the best with Bailey and your pack.:D Please keep us posted.

Dawn

• Vicki I am so sorrry you got hurt I wish I was closer to your home. You are the only one that can answer as what to do. Bailey is yours and you have to make that choice.

Old words I grew up on from my grandfather is this a choice you can live with. Whats done is done.

You cannot keep getting hurt and the dogs cannot keep fighting. My question are you really sure there is not a home for her a home with no other animals were she would get all there time and love?

I wish you luck in your choice.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Oh Vicki, I wish I had the magic answer, but I don't.
    I understand what you vet is saying by suggesting to have her put down. I don't wish that option on anyone, as it is so very hard, but no one will blame you, or judge you if you find that your only option..

• Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is let them go….

• Vicki my heart goes out to you have a nice evening and rest.

Rita Jean

• Good for you Vicki your letting your heart lead you.

I know you can and will make Bailey a super great Basenji. You know she loves you so much she just wants to be near you. You saved her and I think she just wants to be yours all the time.

They must know when they have done wrong but Bailey must be able to smell your leg and know it is hurt. Better days ahead so happy for you all.

Let us know how things keep going my best wishes.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Vicki, I do believe dogs know and sense when someting is wrong and also when they done some thing terribly wrong. Good for you for sticking through it, my thoughts are with you on this sometimes uphill, but other times very rewarding journey. Bailey will become your very dear friend through this..

• It sounds like you are on the right track with your training but it is just going to take a lot of time. Have you thought about contacting a behavior trainer (one that has worked with sighthounds at least)?

• And remember, she didn't "bite" you… you were trying to break up a fight... and it was the other dog she was after... you just got in the way....

That said... while she might be OK with you... she may never be with another dog, particularly of the same sex...

• @Vicki:

I agree, I was breaking up a fight. All the dogs were in a frenzy because the fox was on the property.

At night, Bailey wants to sleep next to Cami. Cami doesn't welcome it anymore - which is logical after being attacked several times. Oddly enough, Bailey wants to be with Cami and the other dogs. I'll often find all four of the smaller dogs on my bed rolling around, playing, going under the blankets, and mouthing each other. If Bailey displayed hatred 100% of the time, I would rethink my decision. What is your take on the inconsistency of her bad behavior?

As for a trainer, I'm in a rural area - good trainers don't exist here. I will look into a trainer in the Metro Atlanta area which is a couple hour drive.
    I'm willing to do most anything to help Bailey overcome her bad behavior.

My Fatia hated my Maggii… and while at times she would even sit next to her... she would attack her for no reason... and it would have been a fight to the death.... Fatia wanted the "top dog" position... it was never started or provoked by Maggii, but Fatia knew she was top of the food chain... It is not unusual for what we consider inconsistency of behavior...... they do look for what they would consider "opportunities"..... Bottom result for Fatia was that I did have to place her.... Maggii was here first...

• Who did you get first? I think Bailey just loves you so much she never had a life before you and anybody fights for there love and home and first place if it need be.

I am so happy that I meet you as I know you are kind and gentle lady and will do what ever it takes and the right thing for all of you.

I do have to say this when our children act ugly or bad we do not give up and the road maybe long and hard to get things right but never give up.

With that having been said I also know that I am not one living everyday with the dogs that you are. Things always look easier on the other side of the street.

Rita Jean

• You said the fox was on the property at the time of the fight. What exactly happened? If it was a case of redirected aggression, Bailey may truly not understand what was wrong. She could have lashed out at whoever was nearest to her in frustration about the fox without really being aware of who she was attacking.

I know you said that there are not many trainers in your area but you may want to see if you can find a behaviorist. Someone who can observe Bailey and help you to develop a plan for working with her.

• I think you said that the dogs watch the fox from a porch in the evenings?
    Just a question do you think maybe if is is the fox you could keep Bailey inside were she does not see the fox in the evening and see what happens.

Rita Jean

• First, I would call the local department that humanely traps and relocates wild animals and get that fox out of your yard.

Second, it was recommended to me that after a spat or fight, separate the dogs, give them time to calm down and then give them a bath. No kidding!!

I can't remember the specifics but in theory it was removing the residual scent of excessive hormones and adrenaline secreted in a high state of agitation through the skin and various glands. The scent removal may be a temporary fix, but the reintroduction of the pack into a passive scent environment may just speed along the pack recovery process.

Can't hurt to try. BTW…I just always assumed my two were so pissed off at me for giving them a bath, that they forgot to be angry with each other:D Whatever the reason, it DID work for me.

• Yes I want everone on here to know yes Vicki is this chatty in person. Vicki also is very kind and gentle and funny lady. I think her heart is as big as those mountains. Thank you Vicki. I am so happy happy for you that things are getting better each day. Life is good some days.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics