• I'm in the process of choosing a breeder, and because I'm 100% set on getting a tri girl I'm somewhat limited.

One breeder I've found are going to breed this dog: http://koti.welho.com/outantti/ajibu/amaliaa.htm with this one:http://koti.welho.com/outantti/ajibu/georgea.htm

and

This: http://koti.welho.com/outantti/ajibu/ellaa.htm with http://koti.welho.com/outantti/ajibu/faruka.htm .

As you can see in both cases one of the parents is a probable Fanconi carrier, and one of the parents have some form of PPM. Is this a bad idea?

• With one clear and one carrier, you will not get Fanconi as the pups will be either only a carrier or a clear, so no worries there… the pups must of course be tested so that is it known which are carriers and which are clear especially for breeding later on. And minor PPM is not a problem either.

Note: I looked at the pedigrees and the Dam of Daydreamer is listed as a American AKC champion, she has NOT as of today completed those requirements. She still needs one major to finish her championship. (Stallian Tanza Tri The Obvious)

• What could be considered a reasonable price for a Basenji from this breeder?

• I don't think that anyone from the states would be able to tell you that, at least I know that I can not…. maybe someone from Europe that has recently purchased a pup would give you an idea...

• Have you contacted the Finnish club to ask them ?? I found most of the breeders there to be very helpful. Last year I purchased my pup on the mainland for a little over a thousand Euros, which is pretty standard to my knowledge. Janneke is closer to you, she might have a good estimate.

• Be sure to share photos when you finally find your tri.

• Prices will probably be no less then a thousand euros. That's what a b-puppy will cost in the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden. Don't know about Finland though.

Btw.. I think Klassic's Daydream Believer is a real looker!

• @eoy:

I'm in the process of choosing a breeder, and because I'm 100% set on getting a tri girl I'm somewhat limited.

Hi Eoy. I too was set on a tri but didn't end up with one. I truly hope you find a wonderful tri female, but don't sacrifice other important things for coat color - you might miss out on a really cool B. I promise you will adore your basenji, no matter what color she is, especially if she is your first! Best wishes for a painless search!

• You will come to love any color, I promise you. And any Klassic dog will be lovely, and Sue's line is full of tris!
    Good luck on your quest.

• I have no doubt that Marjukka would be easy for you to talk to and I believe her puppies go for the 'average' for her area.
    Her dogs are all completely tested and all within the parameters that Finnish breeders must follow.

I second that, do not limit yourself to a particular color… you might miss out on a great puppy!

• Just as an update, I've been in contact with Marjukka and hopefully I'll be getting a tri girl this winter. I was also at my first basenji show today, and Klassic's Daydream Believer (Faruk) came first, not only in his group but overall (sorry I don't know the correct terms).

I hope to be able to post some pictures here in some months 🙂

• @eoy:

Just as an update, I've been in contact with Marjukka and hopefully I'll be getting a tri girl this winter. I was also at my first basenji show today, and Klassic's Daydream Believer (Faruk) came first, not only in his group but overall (sorry I don't know the correct terms).

Congrats.. that is super!!!! I believe that would be called Best of Breed for Faruk

• @eoy:

Just as an update, I've been in contact with Marjukka and hopefully I'll be getting a tri girl this winter. I was also at my first basenji show today, and Klassic's Daydream Believer (Faruk) came first, not only in his group but overall (sorry I don't know the correct terms).

Good for you! Can't wait to see puppy pics in a couple of months!!

And Faruk is a really nice male!

Suggested Topics