• Hi everyone 🙂
    We just had our six month old trindle neutered a week ago and he will not stop licking the stiches. We don't think he will adapt well to the cone, (we will do it if we have to, ) and are looking for creative ideas. As of now, we have a nonstick pad and some athletic tape under a 36 month old onesie with a hole cut for his tale 🙂 he isn't a big fan to say the least! However, it seems to be helping the wound scab up at least. Does anyone have any tricks?
    Thanks,
    Holly

• I dab tea tree oil near the spot, not ON it, and the smell keeps mine from licking whatever they are after. My dogs all hate the smell. You may have to re-apply every few hours. The incision is probably at that itchy-healing stage. Good luck!

• thanks for the help!

• A Bite Not collar. There is another thread on how to make one yourself. The look sort of like a neck brace and make it so the dog can't turn its neck to lick at the incision.

• @MacPack:

I dab tea tree oil near the spot, not ON it, and the smell keeps mine from licking whatever they are after. My dogs all hate the smell. You may have to re-apply every few hours. The incision is probably at that itchy-healing stage. Good luck!

Worked for my B. 😃

• After a surgery for my boy I bought some shorts for him to wear to keep from biting his stitches. The shorts are something that would ordinarily be used for incontinence. They worked great, although I think he was a little embarrassed to wear them. They were denim and I told him he looked cool with them on (he never believed me). 🙂

• i can only imagine what he looks like. picture please. 😉

• Shaye is being spayed tomorrow and having her little hernia taken care of. Good to know, MacPack, about the tea tree oil thing. I will certainly try it if/when she starts wanting to go after the stitches.

• Being prepared with something like an E-Collar, Bite Collar, or homemade collar "BEFORE" they come home from surgery is a good idea too…. Then you are not running around trying to decided what to do....

Suggested Topics