• Houston

imbj,

We do have huge tres on our yard, and to be honest with you the thought struck me yesterday to maybe give that a try…now you have convinced me, thanks. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is how to let two dogs be out there at the same time, you see they love, love, love to play /race with each other and I love to see them do it..

• @Basenjimamma:

imbj,

We do have huge tres on our yard, and to be honest with you the thought struck me yesterday to maybe give that a try…now you have convinced me, thanks. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is how to let two dogs be out there at the same time, you see they love, love, love to play /race with each other and I love to see them do it..

Just be really careful if your ground is not level or they have access to anything they can jump off of. I know someone who came home to their house one day to their dog dead from hanging itself…jumped off something and the tie line got caught.

• Houston

Renaultf1,

My husband just nixed the idea of ziplines for the dogs in the front. He feels leary of that. The dogs would not be in the frontyard unsupervised, we only go there to play as a family, but regardless, I want to be able to have them safe and hanging themselves is NOT safe, right? We will keep on searching for the right answer, and hopefully find one. If not backyard play is what is in the dogs future.
    A question…Otis had really bad diarrhea this morning, the vet said that might be a side effect from the Metacam, does that sound correct? He is acting normal, eating his breakfast like it was going out of style, and is very playful. I guess I should maybe not give him anymore of the Metacam, if he gets diarrhea, right? Or is that side effect OK as long as he is taking the meds? Weird question I guess but I want him to do well.

• How bad is the diarreah? When you talked to the vet what did they say about continuing the medication if he is showing this side effect?

His next dose shouldn't be until later this evening so you have some time to see how he is doing by then.

• Houston

The vet didn't tell me what to do, just that it might be one of the side effects.
    I will try to call them , hopefully they are there today.
    Yes his next dose would be later this pm and i will see how he does before that.

• Here is what the insert for Metacam Oral Suspension says.

The most common side effects reported in field studies were vomiting and soft stool/diarrhea. These are usually mild, but may be serious. If side effects occur, pet owners should halt therapy and contact their veterinarian.

So the product recommendation is to halt the medication.

• I am so happy that Otis is doing well this morning other than the diarrhea. Again I would look that med up on internet and look at side effects. However it may not be the med could be just the upset to isside of the body from yesterday. You could feed him like we did our chidlren when they were babies and they got diarrhea. Dry toast, Rice, Bananas and I would give hime baby food bananas. Jaycee loves baby food bananas but will not touch a real banana. That might help a little. Let us know if you try it and it helps any at all.

Andrea thank you for looking at the site and I would believe you would not use them since you have your own training business. I did not know that.
    We do not believe or use pushiment on our aniamls our kids anything if anything we are more go easy than most. Our daughter almost died at birth and she is our first born when something like that happens in your life you look at things in a new light and way from then on.
    I do think that this is some what like your postive reinforcement. I know we have only had a B since March but we could see frrom the very first day she had a way and mind of her own. We never want to break her spirt we like her way just way she is just wanted her safe. After owning Akita's and Shiba's they can and are very much do it my way also just not as crazy. We love her style.
    Thank you again for looking and being kind about it. Wish you lived closer you could have trained Jaycee and us. I am learning we have to train her correct way not just anyway so we are training also. Have a nice day.

• Nix the invisible fence - with any dog with a strong prey drive - they would be through it so fast on the trail of a bunny or squirrel that they would not even hit the tone or shock.

You are fortunate that Otis is living to tell about it - I have lost 2 basenjis to cars - (well actually one to the UPS truck) in the almost 30 years that I've been breeding. The first because - getting my B from exactly where you should not - no one ever said anything about them being runners. The second - a neighbor was over and just didn't close the door fast enough.

I hope that he makes a full recovery.

• Houston

Ivoss, I did put a call in to the vet and I am waiting for them to call me back. Thanks for the info though..
    Thank you for all the nice words guys, he is doing well, seems a little sore like I said , but that is to be expected. He wants to run and play, but I have "strict" orders" to not let him get overly actice (yeah right), for 5-7 days..I might haveto tie him down for that to happen..just kidding. My daughter is real shook up, but is glad she saw it for her to understand how cars always wins the fight with kids and animals, meaning, thankfully Otis is recovering and nothing severe happened..

• So sorry to hear about Otis and am so glad he is ok, if a little sore and stiff. It is a terrible thing to witness. My son saw our Basenji hit by a car, we were desperately chasing him before he got to the road. James voice was the last thing he heard as he was hit and after he was reluctant to go out for a walk with james.
    He recovered realy well and i am sure Otis will too.

• Houston

I just got a call back from the ER vet and he said diarrhea is not common with Metacam, unlike what I heard on this thread..hmm, but that the diarrhea is likely due to the stress/fear he encountered and therefor his system is unbalalnced. I will probably give him one more dose this evening and see how he does on it. He just pooped and it is getting firmer, but has some mucus around parts of it…sorry about the nasty description. I am wanting to go by the store and pick up some yoghurt for him, should I get natural full fat or lowfat?

• I am so sorry that Otis was hit by a car, thank goodness he is recovering well.

• I have had Bs on Metacam and presently I have a 15 1/2 year old foster on it. I have not had any problems with it and I have Fanconi affecteds on it. If one is using it long term, I would get blood tests done first to check kidney and liver values. My 15 1/2 year old and the Fanconi affecteds get blood tests at least twice a year.

• @Basenjimamma:

I just got a call back from the ER vet and he said diarrhea is not common with Metacam, unlike what I heard on this thread..hmm, but that the diarrhea is likely due to the stress/fear he encountered and therefor his system is unbalalnced. I will probably give him one more dose this evening and see how he does on it. He just pooped and it is getting firmer, but has some mucus around parts of it…sorry about the nasty description. I am wanting to go by the store and pick up some yoghurt for him, should I get natural full fat or lowfat?

His diarrhea could also be from the accident itself and the stress it caused him. I would put him on boiled hamberger or turkey (I usually use Turkey), rice and non fat cottage cheese for a day or two… and it will help even if it is from the meds...

• Houston

I did go ahead and gave him one more dose about an hour ago, he just pooped after dinner and it looked normal again, so we will see if tomorrow poop is runny, if not great.

• Houston

Pat, That is exactly what the vet said was more than likely the culprit, and it makes sense..poor baby.

• Sorry to hear about Otis - I lost my first basenji to a car so I know how you felt.

If you can't fence your yard then maybe you could buy 2 or 3 exercise pens and hook them together (one usually is not big enough for a serious romp with several dogs). It would be expensive (typically cost $70 for one) but way cheaper than a yard fence. And you could always take it/them with you wherever you go.

• Houston

Wizard,
    That might be an option, I never thought of that,thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Best wishes to Otis and you. I hope he gets over it quickly and learns from the experience. But little hope of this with a Basenji, my last Basenji Meg was run over twice in her life and never seemed to acquire a fear of cars!

• Houston

You are right, he probably did not learn not to run across streets again, sadly, so no front yeard play for the dogs, until fence or something like that can be put up..
    We just got back from out regular vet, and Otis looks great..whew.

Suggested Topics