• In the divorce, Keoki the basenji went to my ex husband. I still visit with Keoki all the time, watch him when the ex goes out of town, etc. I can't keep him, though, because I have a pet limit in my new home. Now the ex is marrying someone else, and Keoki isn't allowed to be part of the package. I've never been in this situation before. I've never had to rehome a pet. The thought of it makes me want to throw up. Keoki is 6 years old, tri-colored, full Basenji, graduated first in his obedience class … I just want someone to love him as much as I do.:(

• I am so sorry, what a sad situation. Do you know who his breeder is? If he was obtained from a responsible breeder, they will be to take him into their home, and find him a new one. Or, you can always contact BRAT here:

www.basenjirescue.org/

They can make sure he finds a forever home….Good luck...

• I'm sorry to hear this too. Have you considered what you are going to do yet?

• Well, I'm going to have to help him find a home. The ex doesn't know where his papers are, so I've contacted the woman who we got Keoki from … this is such a horrible mess. I now see how divorces turn ugly.

• Where do you live? Maybe someone on the forum that lives near you could take him.

• Please contact BRAT as already noted, I am sure they can help… www.basenjirescue.org

Unless his breeder will take him back…. Very sad situation.... and I am sure very difficult for you...

• Where in FL are you?

• Also, can you give us the run down like they do with the BRAT listings? Is he Fanconi-clear? House destructive? Does he ride well in a car? Good with other basenjis? Good with kids? Is he crate trained? etc.

Thanks. My husband and I have considered getting a second basenji and we are just north of Tampa.

• Oh, this makes me so sad – esp. because I have a Keoki and I've never known another --
    I do hope you find a forever home for him soon.

I can't believe the dog isn't a part of the package. It's not like he's got an elephant or something. Good grief, it's a dog and a fairly small one at that.

do keep us updated.

• Thanks, everyone, for responding so warmly. Keoki is about 6, house trained but can be naughty (he likes stealing sandwiches if he can get to them). He was crate trained as a pup, doesn't like the crate anymore and hasn't needed it; he has full run of the house and doesn't destroy anything. He likes kids and grew up with cats and a chihuahua. The car thing … he unfortunately prefers to sit on the driver's lap while in the car. We've gotten used to it and just strap him in with us but most people are horrified.

Keoki lives in Clearwater.

• Do you think it would be possible to arrange a playdate? We are in Wesley Chapel and would love to meet Keoki to see if he and Kona would get along. Let me know what you think.

• I've sent Keoki's dad a text and will let you know about a playdate asap. He's been to doggie daycare and the dog park a lot, but we've never seen basenjis out and about.

• Great! There is a group of Basenjis that we go visit at West Park dog park near the Tampa airport, but those are the only ones we have seen around too. There are a lot of them there though.

Kona is very friendly, but cautious at first. We have had her since last November and she was a rescue from the humane society. She is our only baby though so she gets our full attention, so we need to see how she does with someone else getting some of the attention 😛

• Oh and do you have a picture?

• Is there a way to privately message people through this forum? I'm going to try to post a picture of Keoki, too, but it might be easier if we just spoke one on one rather than in this thread.

• I am not sure, but e-mail me at this old e-mail address and then I can give you my actual contact info, ok?

• @Kona:

Also, can you give us the run down like they do with the BRAT listings? Is he Fanconi-clear? House destructive? Does he ride well in a car? Good with other basenjis? Good with kids? Is he crate trained? etc.

Thanks. My husband and I have considered getting a second basenji and we are just north of Tampa.

Isn't Clearwater just north of Tampa? Sounds like fate to me:)

• Houston

Sounds like this all might work out. I am sorry that it is taking this turn, but hopefully Keoki will find a new home he is welcome in since the "package deal" went south. I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you.

• This forum has had some good matchmakers' lately, I hope this works out, Kona is a doll! And we need another tri at the park, we are almost outnumbered by reds lately!

Anne in Tampa

• Beckaboo, there will be a bunch of basenjis at West Park on Sunday from 11 till 2 or later. If Kona and Keoki can get together there, on neutral territory, it might be a good first meeting place.

I like the names together, too!

Suggested Topics