Water - Do they like or not?

• I was under a general impression that Basenji's didn't like water…...............................and yet.......

There are loads of pictures on this forum showing them having a barrel of laughs with it in a lot of cases!

What's the score? and, for you UK listeners out there, what's it like walking them in the rain?

Thanks

Alan

• My Bs don't like water but a couple will put their feet in a stream we take them to for a drink when out walking. As for walking in the rain, when you live in UK they have no choice really but to get used to it!!! I probably hate it more than they do. All my Bs have full waterproof outfits. (I'll post pics later) 🙂

• Waterproof outfits…....now were talking.

I feel a full on fashion related thread coming on!

thanks again,

Alan

• You wait till you see Benji in his tartan Burberry waterproofs!!! 😃 (I think that's the only photo I have - will post when I get home from work)

• Tillo hates water!! We use a coat for the rainy days:

• OK here's Benji in his Tartan Burberry. :o I haven't got pics of the others in their waterproofs yet but I'll take some soon. I've also created a fashion show album in my profile for you all to visit.

• Kona does not like rain or wet grass, which is becoming a problem with all the rain here in FL. She even peed on the concrete one day so she wouldn't have to step on the wet grass to go. However, she tolerated it when we put her in my mom's swimming pool on the top step. I think that was only due to the extreme heat in FL that day, though.

• Alan,
    my Basenji hated water and would avoid puddles like the plague. On very wet days he would try to only go out once or twice to do his stuff. He would tolerate walking in a light shower and had a rather nifty wax jacket.
    Vickie, i love the pic of Benji in his Burberrys.

• I think basenjis don't like water, but when it's hot enough or there's good enough 'prey' in the water, they'll go in. Some more than others, but I find it seems to be only when it's really hot.

As for walking in the rain? I would either just drag Medjai out there, and he'd have to walk in it but always trying to get back home quick, and under cover of trees, cars, and awnings. I did spoil him too much when I got him, even though he was born in the winter when there's snow everywhere, I would walk him under his own umbrella and I would just wear a rain coat and a hat, when it was raining or snowing.

• Woooa!

Victoria! - Listen, there are certain streets and backalleys he couldn't wear that out! But I gotta say, that is Basenji Bling and no mistake!

I'm thinking Tillo has got some 'special forces' look going on and boy, do they make a handsome pair!

No wonder they don't like water…...hahahaha!

Absolutely great pictures!

Thanks for sharing,

Alan

• I have a basenji that simply doesn't mind it. He waits patiently in the bathtub when rinsing him off. Usually licks my hand and stands still.

He ignores puddles and walks right through them. Rains doesn't bother him either. Have yet to see if he will swim voluntarily.

• I have a swimming basenji! But she hates the rain though. Living in the Lake District, we don't get much choice about going out in the rain, like it or not. They all have waterproof coats.
    attachment_p_75081_0_06100424.jpg
    attachment_p_75081_1_2006_0219cg.jpg

• Ok, Victoria, you don't have a real basenji, just a wanna be. She looks like a basenji, but it's just a disguise, you've got a look-alike that swims on her own, and fetches? That's a lab in a basenji skin. 😃

• @Dwaf:

I'm thinking Tillo has got some 'special forces' look going on and boy, do they make a handsome pair!

I think Tillo has outdone Benji with this one. We call this Benji's Maverick (Top Gun) or SAS coat.

It's supposed to look like distressed leather and has a brown coloured 'stars & stripes' on the back.

• @etzbseder:

Ok, Victoria, you don't have a real basenji, just a wanna be. She looks like a basenji, but it's just a disguise, you've got a look-alike that swims on her own, and fetches? That's a lab in a basenji skin. 😃

LOL. It's more a case of learned behaviour from my lurcher. She can't resist the thrill of the chase, even if it means going into the lake. You should have seen the look on her face the first time she did it!

Meanwhile…here's some more doggie fashion.
    attachment_p_75089_0_07020519.jpg
    attachment_p_75089_1_07042036.jpg

• Houston

I had no idea how stylish dogs can look. I have to admit, it looks like europe is a little adhead in the dog fashion world…it's a good thing.

• I can see Victoria has upped the 'cool factor' - distressed leather Top Gun coat!!

'The Ice Man' would paying much respect!

All together now…............"Fly in to the danger zone"

Alan

• My B hates when I give her a bath/shower but she will tolerate playing in the lake at our lake lot. She especially loves water on hot days but is still very suspicious of puddles.

• Vicky, you have the first official chav basenji! you should be locked up for putting the poor soul in that tartan outfit - you will give him a complex lol.

We have a waterproof coat for Tilly when its really heavy rain, but she really doesnt mind getting wet.

• @Elscodobermann:

Vicky, you have the first official chav basenji!

OMG!!! That's hilarious!!! LOL :D:D:D:D:D

Suggested Topics