• Baytril is what the vet gave us Thursday for my B's intestinal infection. This is the second dose of meds she has been given and it still hasn't cleared up. She was throwing up yellowish foam liquid. Has anyone had this issue? And will the all antibiotics mess with my B's immune system?

Concerned 😞

• Jaycee did that today with the yellow called the vet and they said it is acid in the tummy to take her food water and limit her water and to give her 1/2 teaspoon of mylanta evry 4 to 6 hours. I gave her a little less than 1/2 at 1:00 today and I am going to give it to her at 6:30. Jaycee seems to be better and am to call him Tuesday. Jaycee running and jumping happy as ever. The one think that did change was on Sunday Jaycee had her first class and it was about two hours. Not in training every min but lot of the time. Come to your house so she was in her own area but I think it may have upset her. So far no Med's just over counter Mylanta. Let me know how your's is doing and what happen's and I will do the same thank you.

Rita Jean

• What time is she throwing up? Does she drink normally? When/what does she eat? These are all very important and I'm sure the vet is helpful and willing to take your calls to. There are many things, but without those answers it's doubtful many people here can really help either.

Most of us will recommend something along the lines of a little boiled chicken and brown rice and maybe a small dollop of plain yogurt to help settle the stomach, but that also depends on the other answers.

• Rita, with yours if she is doing that early in the morning it could just be because the tummy is empty. I know of several Bs that will through up a little bile (I think that's what it is) in the morning when the stomach is empty, so just feeding a little food in the morning or even split up meals into twice a day will help.

• Just question why do you use brown rice and not white? Since white goes through the system easier. We do not use Uncel Ben's we cook our own rice and very good grade and very tender and good.

Rita Jean

• Brown rice is healthier for both pets and people than white rice. I guess you could use white if you really want to, it'll work just fine.

• @etzbseder:

What time is she throwing up? Does she drink normally? When/what does she eat?

It is usually in the morning, but I try to get something in her stomach so that doesn't happen. Yes, I have also heard that it could be bile. She also drinks normally and she eats at 8am, 1pm and 6pm. The food she eats is Nutro Max puppy wet and dry food with carrots or rice mixed in. Sometimes she gets boiled chicken.

• Thank you Michael for you help. I just got to eating white rice because of my mother in law she is from Japan. I never knew until I ate her rice that there were so many kinds and so many different tastes. At the Asain store I get Nishiki and we always rinse it several times before cooking. I might look into the brown rice can I cook it in a rice cooker just like the white?

Rita Jean

• I think in your case it's probably that just the meds take a little time to work. You're vet'll know more for certain, but a little yogurt will probably be a nice addition to the dry part that helps with upset stomachs.

• Yeah, brown rice is often just less processed versions of white, but there's too many types of rice for me to know that much. My mom just uses the burlap sacks of basmati. I like the wild rice stuff best, but I keep some brown minute rice around just for if Medjai has an upset tummy which happens a couple times a year, but I think that's mostly just Medjai and not Bs in general.

• Thank you and I will try brown rice. Very kind of you for the help.

Rita Jean

• Actually my 4yo B Ruby has to have white rice (medium or long grain)…her system doesn't process brown rice and she just poops it out whole. The vet was the one that pointed out to me one time when she was sick.

• @AC~Akeyla:

@etzbseder:

It is usually in the morning, but I try to get something in her stomach so that doesn't happen. Yes, I have also heard that it could be bile. She also drinks normally and she eats at 8am, 1pm and 6pm.

I think that it could be because of an empty tummy. My 5mo Liyah, and one of my adults (Ruby 4yo) get sick in the morning if I don't give them a snack right before bed. Have you tried giving a couple of biscuits right before bed…that is usually all it takes. I do also give them both biscuits in the morning if I'm going to exercise them before they have breakfast. Brando also gets biscuits when the girls do (can't leave him out :D:D), even though he's never had an issue with empty tummy.

How old is your girl?

• 6pm to 8am is a long time between meals for many Basenjis. Do you give a bedtime snack? Mine eat at 7am, 5pm, and a snack at 10pm. If I skip their snack or put off their morning meal too long they will vomit bile.

• @lvoss:

6pm to 8am is a long time between meals for many Basenjis. Do you give a bedtime snack? Mine eat at 7am, 5pm, and a snack at 10pm. If I skip their snack or put off their morning meal too long they will vomit bile.

That is what I do also….

And it has been said that brown rice is harder to digest (many Vets will agree and suggest white), so if using rice for upset tummy's.... you really are better off to use white ....

• Akeyla is 5months old. So I should give her something to eat before bed huh? I'll give that a try. Thanks for everyone's help!

• @AC~Akeyla:

Akeyla is 5months old. So I should give her something to eat before bed huh? I'll give that a try. Thanks for everyone's help!

At that age for sure she needs something before bedtime…

• @AC~Akeyla:

@etzbseder:

It is usually in the morning, but I try to get something in her stomach so that doesn't happen. Yes, I have also heard that it could be bile. She also drinks normally and she eats at 8am, 1pm and 6pm. The food she eats is Nutro Max puppy wet and dry food with carrots or rice mixed in. Sometimes she gets boiled chicken.

My female was being fed Nutro when I brought her home with me. She used to get acid reflux a lot & eventually wouldn't want to eat the Nutro - so, it could be the dog food….
    My male (at 4 - 5 months) vomits when fed carrots.
    But I agree for sure with everyone else on here - empty belly. I've awakened to that pre B barf noise a few times - luckily the bathroom is adjoined to our bedroom!

• Not too long ago I posted a thread about Akeyla vomiting and the meds the vet gave us. Well… an update for everyone she has vomited three times since being on her second set of meds and we took her back to the vet on Thursday and now he has put her on a steroid called Predinisone and a nausea med called Cerenia. Has anyone heard or used the meds before on their B's? I'm worried about all the meds messing up her immune system. Any advise?

Thanks 😞

• Does the vet tell you way Akeyla is vomiting as to what is causing it? When Jaycee did that he had us give her 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Mylanta every 4 to 6 hours this got her over it and so far been fine ever since. I am not crazy about steriods but I know sometimes they are a must. I do not know what you feed or when but Jaycee's food is there all time she eats what she whats and when she wants to she knows her bedtime and she will eat about same time ever night. Far as med's I would look them up on internet and see what they have to say about them. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck and hopefully these meds help.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics