Not Socializing Just Passing By

• We've been working on loose leash walking in our nabe & in the backyard. We took our B's to the park yesterday to get some air & walk along the park bike path. I was NOT trying to socialize. My husband went up ahead with C3PO & he got anzy when passing up a group of dogs playing frisbee with their owner but eventually settled down & he kept on walking. My husband actually got C3 to SIT & watch from a distance :eek:

On the other hand Miss TOPAZ decided she was going to cut across in front of me head for these dogs with or without me. I kept trying to pull her back to my side & keep walking in another direction & I got nipped twice with all her excitment. She was completely uncontrollable. I tried my best to keep the leash loose to show that we were just walking by but this gave her more slack to keep pulling the direction of the dogs. I finally had to pick her up under my arm & keep moving.

It was very frustrating:( my husband insisted we keep going back & forth until she got used to it. After a couple of tries she walked by still looking in that direction (I could NOT get her attention AT ALL) but at least I didn't have to pick her up.

It's very frustrating when they completely disregard you! How do I manage this situation?? I'm trying not to tense up but when she's pulling like a maniac at the other end of the leash it's hard. I dont' get why?? The other dogs where minding their owner NOT HER!

I like this park & so would they if theylearned to enjoy the scenery & keep moving.

• sounds to me like you did an excellent job of managing it! I'd say keep at it, it'll get better with practice. the only thing i'd add is bring along some treats. I use a treat bag attached to my belt loop (but fanny packs work well too!). give a treat when Topaz walks calmly by a very distracting area (such as other dogs playing frisbee). continue to reward when she maintains a loose leash. you can even use the treat as a lure to keep her focused on you - when she makes eye contact and minds you, she gets the treat. I'd use very high value treats - such as cheese, hot dog pieces, chicken… etc. a regular dog cookie may not be enough to keep her attention. other than that though, it really sounds like you're managing just fine!!

• I can only walk loose leash when Duke has a head collar on. I have not mastered, nor do I want to try loose lease with a regular collar on him until he's maybe 2 years old. He is now 11 mos and is still high energy puppy. The head collar is a life saver for me - because Duke controls whether he is comfortable or not. I got tennis elbow using a regular leash. (still recovering)

• <

• Thank you so much for your quick & great responses. I also thank you for the encouragement!!

My husband says I can't keep her locked away in the house forever…altho I'd like too!! 😃

• Let's all just be thankful that B's are small dogs and not 110 Lbs beast! At least we can pick them up and tuck them under an arm and walk away with them while training! LOL! I have to do the same thing with Zahra sometimes.

• if she does it again, just stop there and don't go farther. after a few sec, start to walk the other way and stop if she does it again! try a teart and a clicker too.

• Wonderful treats, something she loves and only gets once in a while, work wonders for keeping attention.

• @ChaseandZahrasmom:

Let's all just be thankful that B's are small dogs and not 110 Lbs beast! At least we can pick them up and tuck them under an arm and walk away with them while training! LOL! I have to do the same thing with Zahra sometimes.

Amen!

I was just thinking this earlier today while trying to control my pup…

Suggested Topics